↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Air suspension options
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
johnnyha

1996 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
Air suspension options
Currently considering this route for my 130 for the following reasons.

1. Lower for access to vehicle and carparks
2. More comfortable ride but with flexibility to carry heavy loads (130 double rear springs are v hard when unladed)
3. Self levelling option when required

Interested in feedback on VB vs Onair and more generally from anyone who's done the conversion.
Post #930922 24th Nov 2021 7:41am
jimbo55

United Kingdom 
I have the VB kit fitted in my 90 and it is really good and would definitely recommend it. I fitted it so that it would go in my garage, and whilst yes I have lost a lot of the extreme off road travel I had before, I have gained so much more in on road handling.

It’s set at 5mm off the bump stops at the rear for access height up to a 2” lift for off road height and a sport and standard mode in between. I don’t have self levelling yet but it is just a small module that you can add in.

Keeps it comfortable even when the 90 is running very heavy and with a trailer on the back it never looks overloaded.

The VB kit is fully TUV and VCA approved so you don’t get any questions from insurance etc. When you fit it, but as a result you have to have it installed by one of VB’s approved installers which for defender thats IRB (who did mine), nene overland and twisted -there maybe one or two more but I’m not sure.

The on air kit is essentially a copy of the vb kit
Post #930928 24th Nov 2021 8:00am
nitram17

Hi how much did it cost fitted ?and how good is the ride?
Post #931055 24th Nov 2021 10:08pm
jimbo55

United Kingdom 
Cost you are probably looking somewhere just over £5k for the kit -can’t remember exactly what I paid

As for the ride, it is comfortable and not too hard, it compensates for weight really well. I’m running very heavy in my 90 and it copes well

The only other thing to consider is that you have to run anti roll bars with the kit so you don’t get masses of off road travel.
Post #931075 25th Nov 2021 8:26am
Dowks

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Keswick Green
Hi

I have the OnAir system fitted to my 130 double cab, it was fitted for me by Juice Motors about a year ago c. £6k fitted

Positives:
1) Better ride unladen
2) Self levelling is useful when camping or parked up with MTBs - it's an option on OnAir ad worth getting
3) Parking height great for my kids to get in and out and get under barriers at parking spots

Negatives
1) Had a bit of teething trouble with one of the air block connections, but OnAir service is very good, remote connected to the car and managed to sort it out, no problems since
2) All the air connector gubbins is under the passenger seat so my second battery is having to go in the rear

Compressor sits under the passenger side sill by the chassis rail, can occasionally be a bit noisy as it charges the system but not a real bother.

If you have other questions or want some photos of the install let me know

Simon
Post #931083 25th Nov 2021 10:00am
Andy T

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Fuji White
OnAir
Hi

I also have the OnAir fitted by Sam Nadin at Juice Motors on my 90. He likes to use Fox Shocks with the conversion but mine already had newish Bilsteins and I was too mean to swap them over!

Very happy with it - agree with all the positives and mine hasn't had any technical issues

Cost in the same ballpark as Dowks

Whichever option you go for it's worth making sure you allow for future clutch replacement etc without having to dismantle the system

Also happy to send pics if helpful

Cheers
Andy 2011 2.4 White 110 CSW LHD
1998 300TDi Wolf TUM
2015 2.2 Corris Grey 90
2009 2.4 Alaska White 110 Commercial - gone
2006 TD5 Barolo Black 90 - gone
1995 TD5 Green 90 - gone
1984 2.25 Marine Blue 88
Post #931086 25th Nov 2021 10:30am
Dowks

Good point on dampers, I got the Fox ones put on at same time, really pleased with them

I also had a new clutch about 6 months after and Sam's install ensures it doesn't get in the way
Post #931088 25th Nov 2021 10:37am
Dowks

Install front driver side

Air tank under driver side sill

Compressor on passenger side

130 in off road height
Post #931089 25th Nov 2021 10:47am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Grizzlyandbearoverland have just fitted Airbag Man air suspension to their 130 in Australia. James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #931177 25th Nov 2021 9:39pm
nitram17

Dowks wrote:
Hi

I have the OnAir system fitted to my 130 double cab, it was fitted for me by Juice Motors about a year ago c. £6k fitted

Positives:
1) Better ride unladen
2) Self levelling is useful when camping or parked up with MTBs - it's an option on OnAir ad worth getting
3) Parking height great for my kids to get in and out and get under barriers at parking spots

Negatives
1) Had a bit of teething trouble with one of the air block connections, but OnAir service is very good, remote connected to the car and managed to sort it out, no problems since
2) All the air connector gubbins is under the passenger seat so my second battery is having to go in the rear

Compressor sits under the passenger side sill by the chassis rail, can occasionally be a bit noisy as it charges the system but not a real bother.

If you have other questions or want some photos of the install let me know

Simon

Im up late tonight so i have one simple question.... how comfortable is the ride? can you compare it to another car? i watched the juice video and recognized the familiar jarring of the cab when he was zooming down the road..so im not convinced of the value.....i would value your opinion.
Post #931510 28th Nov 2021 1:24am
Dowks

One persons view….

I didn’t do the conversion for ride comfort, more for the flexibility it gives with height restrictions, levelling for camping etc

Is the ride smoother, yes. Is it Range Rover like, no. The 130 is the best ride of the various models 90/110 I have had, which I primarily attribute to the longer wheelbase. I also think the Fox dampers are much better than the OEM ones

Hope that helps
Post #931521 28th Nov 2021 9:02am
jimbo55

United Kingdom 
I agree with Dowks, I fitted it to get around height restrictions and anything else is a bonus

At the end of the day a defender is a 2+ ton brick that is designed to go off road, it’s not designed to be a comfort orientated vehicle. You will never get Range Rover comfort on the defender due to how the beam axles are up. It’s also a massive trade off with soft suspension for comfort over bumps, pot holes, etc. But also needing it to be firm to prevent wallowing around corners. Which is why the modern stuff has active anti roll bars.

The other thing to consider is the interior isnt that comfortable either so it is very difficult to compare a defender to anything else

If I’m being honest, if you are wanting comfort, just go out and buy a Range Rover
Post #931522 28th Nov 2021 9:16am
Ecco

Malaysia 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Galway Green
..does this mod require any irreversible changes on vehicle ?
Post #931542 28th Nov 2021 11:37am
nitram17

Thanks for that .. I was wiling to pay 5 -7 grand for any adaption that will to slow down the rattling apart of my ageing vertebral column but i wont pay that for a parking aid!
I thought that from the juice video that the road ride looked about the same as stock ...so im out! I just wish juice would have been more honest in their assessment in ride improvement.Just for the record I would never buy a Range rover or the new defender as they are good vehicles but just not my cup of tea!
Post #931544 28th Nov 2021 11:54am
nitram17

Ecco wrote:
..does this mod require any irreversible changes on vehicle ?

I dont think so ECCO just a few small holes to root the air lines and fix the compressor and control unit.

Post #931545 28th Nov 2021 11:56am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>