↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > P400e Area (L663) > Hybrid mode issues anyone?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Ritson

France 
Hybrid mode issues anyone?
I recently had a warning message appear on my IDD alerting me that a fault had been detected with my suspension, but advising that it was 'OK to drive with caution'. It was immediately apparent when I set off that the air suspension was not working, a very robust 20km drive ensued. When I got back in the car for the return journey the message had disappeared and the air suspension worked perfectly.

I phoned the dealer who told me to bring in the car so they could diagnose the fault; which I did this morning. When I collected the car I was told they could find no faults as such but just in case they recalibrated the air suspension and performed a software upgrade.

All good then, except....

On the drive home the car refused to use the electric motor in Hybrid mode, except when initially pulling away. Neither could I switch it into EV mode from Hybrid while moving. I stopped the car, switched off ignition, switched it back on again and selected EV mode and pulled away. The car ran normally in EV mode for 5km, so I tried switching to Hybrid. The petrol motor kicked in and stayed on, refusing to use the electric motor or switch off at any point, even when coasting down hill and regenerating power. Neither would it subsequently re-engage EV mode

This is exactly what happened when i first collected the car when brand new; it refused to use the electric motor in Hybrid mode. I was told by the dealer at the time this was normal and it would switch to electric power in due course after 'a bit of running in'. This it did the next day and I haven't had another issue until today.

Has anyone else experienced this? Current: MY22 P400e SE
Prior: Discovery Sport HSE, Jaguar F-Type S, Discovery 3, RR Vogue
Post #927232 26th Oct 2021 6:00pm
EmEff

United Kingdom 
Hi Ritson,
You were able to reassure me it was normal running in behaviour when my vehicle did the same form new. It settled down after a couple of hundred miles and has been good since. I notice that if I have started the journey with hard acceleration or really push it part way on a journey that has been using EV in hybrid mode, it will lock out the EV function for quite a distance. It won't be showing regen to the same extent on the dial in this state either. After a while the green band starts to drop down and that's the signal that EV will come back. This happens regardless of the state of charge. I'm assuming that it is to do with protection of the engine. I haven't experienced the stubborn refusal to go into EV that is only cured by switching off since that first week. Perhaps the update they carried out has fooled the car into thinking it's new again and is running in. I haven't had any OTA updates yet. Interesting to see if I get the same thing then.
Post #927272 26th Oct 2021 10:19pm
Ritson

France 
Hi EmEff!

Thanks for your response. I’m pretty sure you’re right, that when the petrol engine engages due to prolonged power demand, either due to frequent hard acceleration or climbing a long steep incline, this causes the hybrid system to ‘lock’ into petrol mode for an extended period.

I drove the car this morning in Hybrid mode and everything was as it should be. Yesterday I had a long steep climb which engaged the petrol engine and then a fairly uphill journey most of the way home, so what you’re suggesting makes perfect sense.

I just wish Land Rover would provide new PHEV owners with a user guide specific to the quirks of a Hybrid engine. I’m guessing most customers purchasing a PHEV from Land Rover are, like me, newcomers to Hybrid engines. A simple guide explaining when/how/why the car switches from Electrical power to ICE power and back again would save a lot of concern regarding possible engine faults and unnecessary calls to dealerships. Thank goodness for forums such as this where we can learn from others! Current: MY22 P400e SE
Post #927285 27th Oct 2021 7:13am
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Sounds like we already know the answer, but to confirm mine does this sometimes too - especially if you force the engine to start on a cold day it likes to run the engine for a while afterwards; I think its all intentional behaviour.

Its a clever beast and I think we have to trust it to an extent; there is a lot going on to manage under the bonnet! Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #928297 2nd Nov 2021 10:29pm
Ritson

France 
Downloaded and installed OS3.0 yesterday. Update works a treat, wireless CarPlay in full flow. However, as soon as I drove the car following install I had the same issue of the car not wanting to disengage the petrol engine after having started while in Hybrid mode.

Today its working fine again. That means every time I've had a software update the car has subsequently gone into 'reset' mode with respect to the Hybrid function, so it would appear that this isn't a fault or issue but rather a software process following updates. Good to know Current: MY22 P400e SE
Post #930475 20th Nov 2021 10:31am
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Yeah in the release notes it said that EV functionality would be limited at first while the car calibrates itself to the new software (or something like that) Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #930486 20th Nov 2021 11:51am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1