↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > The last warranty claim.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
doublea

Scotland 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
The last warranty claim.
I thought my warranty claims were pretty much over when the green 110 turned three. But recently, I noticed some white waxy gunk below the seat belt anchor for the middle row seats.

Initially, I thought my son had dropped a partly eaten sweet down there, but on closer inspection, I found the aluminium was disintegrating at the seat belt bolts. The other side was the same. Obviously this was caused by the steel anchor located in the wheel arch that is in contact with the aluminium. So about a week before my green 110's sixth birthday, I phoned the local Land Rover dealer and booked in for the warranty inspection. I have to admit that I got a bit shirty when they mentioned the "diagnostic charge" would apply at something like £140/hour in the event that JLR said no. I explained that the issue was corrosion and no diagnostic was required, just a visual inspection.

Anyway, the man form JLR said yes, so a new tub was ordered and after waiting three months or so, I was booked in to the bodyshop. To make things easier for them, I removed my corner protectors, wooden partitions, loadspace mat and Gwyn Lewis mud shields. This is when I noticed even more corrosion, hidden by the mats and on top of the wheel boxed. It seems obvious now, but the same problem of steel and aluminium contact exists in all the Pumas with seats in the rear tub, as the reinforcement here is steel too.

I've since checked our 2016 90 and beneath the carpets it is the same, so I'll be getting geared up for new tub number two.

Anyone with a late model Defender might want to check theirs! Current Steeds:
2015 110 UW in Grasmere Green
2003 BMW F650 the Hack
2000 Elise
1992 Ducati 888 (no longer in bits, yahoo)
1990 TDR 250 (in bits again)
1988 TDR 250 (no longer in bits) and for sale
Post #929774 15th Nov 2021 1:08am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1