↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > LOF POWERSlave slave cylinder fitting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Hufflepuff

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Tonga Green
LOF POWERSlave slave cylinder fitting
A question which I'm sure Luke could answer in a heartbeat, but in case anyone else can point out the folly of my ways as usual...

I bought one of the LOF Clutches 'POWERSlave' slave cylinder a while ago (a year?), which I fitted to the project R380 bell housing at the time of purchase.

https://lofclutches.com/shop/clutches/peda...cba1185463

Today I thought I'd fit the metal pipe, v8 mounting bracket and flexible pipe to the bulkhead bracket.

Click image to enlarge

It was a bit fiddle getting my hands to it with the exhaust blocking easy access from under the vehicle, and bulkhead hindering access from above - but I got there in the end and started to tighten up the thread into the slave cylinder.
... and tighten and tighten and tighten... I only had about 1/4 turn of the spanner and there is quite a lot of thread on the union but after *cough* too many minutes something didn't feel right - as if I had stripped the thread despite it never getting tight at all.

I pulled the slave out to inspect what the problem was, to discover that the thread was just smaller than the hole in the slave, and you can push the threads in all the way to to the bottom by hand if you get it square on (which was not obvious when it was attached to the gearbox).

Click image to enlarge

Well that's odd thinks I, but as this is a bit of a 'bitsza' (Rover v8 with R380 gearbox) maybe part 577643 (Pipe Jump Hose to Clutch Slave Cylinder Range Rover 90/110 VCool is not right for the Td5 style slave cylinder?

I then remembered that I had ordered two slave cylinders from LOF, the uprated 'POWERSlave' and a standard one to replace my td5 slave which I felt would probably benefit from being changed, having changed the leaking master cylinder a couple of years ago. As I haven't got around to fitting it yet, I routed about in the spare parts bin to find it - only to find that it has a smaller threaded hole which my union fitted!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Measuring the inner diameter of the threads confirms a 1mm difference.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

So what gives here? Is it common for these slave cylinders to use different thread patterns and bore sizes?
I have what I thought was a fairly comprehensive metric kit from Automec, their 162 piece metric assortment box:

https://automec.co.uk/collections/fittings...5818141719

but nothing seems to fit this POWERSlave slave cylinder, which has the following part number stamped on the side:

1003-86-A 5219

Click image to enlarge

As it happens, having just watched the video on fitting the slave cylinder on the LOF website, it called out that I should not fit the POWERSlave with a brand new clutch, as the reduced engagement of the POWERSlave might not be sufficient to dissengage the clutch.

With that in mind I will go ahead and fit the 'standard' one, but still I'm curious why it has a different bore and thread on it, any ideas? 2005 Td5 90 XS
1989 V8 110 CSW
Post #927868 30th Oct 2021 7:01pm
Shroppy

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 130 V8 Petrol HCPU Aintree Green
It is conceivable that the powerslave has an imperial thread, 7/16 UNF would be about right based on your measurements and was used on clutch/brake fittings until the metric system was adopted by LR. I would have expected there to be a warning on the product page though given that most people will be fitting them to a 'metric' vehicle.

It's also conceivable that it was tapped with the wrong thread in the factory, since they will likely be producing slave cylinders with both thread forms. I'm sure Luke will sort it for you if you drop him a line. 1985 127 V8 Build Thread
Series 2 109"
Series 1 80"
Post #927908 31st Oct 2021 8:35am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1