↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Cold Start White Smoke
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Powling

Canada 2003 Defender 110 Td5 SW Java Black
Cold Start White Smoke
I know this topic has been discussed multiple times in the past, but I'm having issues with determining what I should start with first when fixing this issue. Hoping for some direction here from the experts.

Here are the issues and details on what I've determined so far:

• White/blue smoke on cold start, only started on the first cold day of summer. It ran fine with no smoke for a month when the temps were above 20deg C all summer
• Smoke clears after the thermostat reaches out of the blue section of the gauge.
• Smoke seems to only happen when off-throttle during the cold start, not very noticeable on idle
• No rough idle or sputtering when cold, and starts on the first crank every time
• No loss of coolant
• No loss of oil, and no diesel in the oil at all
• No sweet smell from the exhaust as well (ruling out coolant)

• I've recently replaced the injector washers and o-rings with LR genuine ones, as well as the injector wiring loom.
• All oil was cleaned from the red ECU plug too
• The smoke issue started before the injector seals were done
• Did an oil change and switched to a lighter oil for winter months. Smoke seemed to get thicker after this, although it could be due to the temps continuing to drop the closer we get to winter.

I am thinking of trying glow plugs first, but some have said fuel pressure regulator or fuel cooler. I'm hoping it's not an injector dribbling diesel into the cylinder meaning the injectors need to be sent out for servicing or replacement all together.

Thoughts?
Post #925628 14th Oct 2021 2:21pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
My first thought is

What colour IS the smoke. Blue is oil, white is unburnt diesel, water in fuel. Also smell may
help.

I also assume you put quality fuel filter on?
Post #925648 14th Oct 2021 5:13pm
Powling

The smoke is mostly white with a blue tint to it. The smoke is definitely not condensation as well.

No smell to the smoke other than smelling like typical diesel exhaust. Doesn't smell sweet, or like unburnt diesel.

No fuel filter replacement yet, but I do have a genuine new one on hand that I could try swapping out.
Post #925650 14th Oct 2021 5:17pm
landy andy

Swapping the fuel filter would be the first thing I’d do, and only quality one. Then run the fuel prime procedure a couple of times.
Post #925659 14th Oct 2021 5:56pm
4RF RDS

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Epsom Green
With no performance issues… Agreed try a new fuel filter 👍🏻 2010 Range Rover MkIII Autobiography Super Charged (Idris)
2003 Range Rover Mk III (Desmond FitzWilliam)
2000 Defender 110 CSW TD5 (CTX)
1992 Range Rover Classic (Lizzy)
1972 Series III 300 Tdi (Stanwood)
1967 MGB GT

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Post #925950 16th Oct 2021 4:21pm
dorsetsmith

have you made shore all 4 glow plugs are working at lower temps engine will start but can smoke with glow plug not working as ecu increases fuel delivery at cold start up and only one glow has to have high res i.e. 367 ohms and as new spec being 0.7 ohms each, can be check with out have to remove the glow plug, remove wiring plug from each glow plug and check between top of the glow plug and engine metal work with Multimeter set to ohms and long nose pairs

have tried using fuel treatment to clean your fuel system

also have you checked the fuel for water drain fuel at the bottom filter in glass jar if its has water present
Post #925956 16th Oct 2021 5:01pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
l've had issues for years with my 110 giving white smoke on the over run when the engine is cold.

Also, if l floor the gas pedal at low RPM (say around 1500rpm in 3rd or 4th gear) l get a fog of white smoke until the turbo spools up.

This is when the engine is warm. One thing l have noticed, is there's no noticeable difference in the running of the engine with the MAF disconnected.

And it's had various new MAF units, currently an OE LR one which cost over £100.

l had a standard Alive remap done some years ago and this made the problem much worse to the point where the white smoke completely obliterated the car behind if you floored it.

The remap was adjusted downwards and it's acceptable now.

l think with these engines, you get good ones and bad ones. Nobody has been able to fix the white smoke issue with mine.
Post #926006 16th Oct 2021 10:06pm
Powling

Yesterday I swapped the fuel filter for a quality one, and no improvement to the smoke issue.

I did put in some fuel treatment today to see if that helps at all.

Next up I will swap the glow plugs and see if that provides any solution.[/quote]
Post #926021 17th Oct 2021 4:02am
landy andy

Before swapping the glow plugs for new. Check they are getting power it may be a fuse or relay that isn’t powering them.
Post #926025 17th Oct 2021 7:10am
dorsetsmith

Check before swapping
Post #926037 17th Oct 2021 9:40am
lightning

United Kingdom 
Well, today l checked my glow plugs.

One was at 263 Ohms, one was short circuit (0.1 Ohms) and the other two were open circuit.

So l've ordered a set. Let's see if there's any improvement.
Post #926128 17th Oct 2021 9:55pm
Powling

An update here.

I ordered new LR glow plugs and while I waited for them to arrive, I've been driving the truck daily. Noticed that after swapping the fuel filter, the smoke seems to be slowing getting less and less. I've put a tank and half of diesel through the truck and now only have minimal smoke on cold start up.

I'm going to wait until the outside temps reach below zero deg celsius and see how the smoke is then before continuing on with the glow plugs...although I'll likely swap them anyways as I'm sure they were never done with the previous owner.

Last edited by Powling on 28th Oct 2021 2:02am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #927368 27th Oct 2021 5:32pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Glad you found that the glow plugs were duff. Others have said it but check your glow plug relay and I mean open it up and check the contacts. After nearly 20 years mine were very pitted with signs of shorting and smoke staining.

Part numbers:

Fuel pump relay (yellow): YWB000150
Main relay (yellow): YWB000150
Glow plug relay (black): AMR3773

I am not saying that this is what is wrong with your vehicle, but... My old head used to occasionally smoke like crazy on start up. No outward reason, no coolant loss, just oodles of white smoke pouring out the back. Completely unrelated reason for changing the head, sheared bolts in the head, but ever since the new head... No smoke... Nada... Draw your own conclusions from that folks...
Post #927381 27th Oct 2021 6:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1