↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > P400e Area (L663) > P400e Technical Chat / Discussion
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
P400e Technical Chat / Discussion
Hi folks, thought it would be good for us P400e owners to have somewhere to chat about the nuts and bolts of the PHEV defender.

I absolutely love mine! Really good compromise for me, with a mix of urban and long distance driving, as well as some off road use.

One thing I found today is that, especially in ‘save’ mode, the car does charge the battery when driving on the motorway. I did Manchester to London and gained over 3/4 of a charge on that journey alone, way more than braking can account for - does the car have some sort of engine/gearbox driven generator?

And a question - anyone understand how the ancillaries/auxiliaries are powered if you don’t use the engine? Obviously everything from radio and AC to power steering and air suspension compressor must be electrically powered; does the high voltage battery “charge” the 12v system? Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #926448 19th Oct 2021 11:54pm
hezor

Finland 
The electric motor is located in the gearbox, it's actually there where a normal torque converter would be in a non-electrified car. So the motor can act as a generator too. The 12V battery is charged as well when the high-voltage battery is being charged. So long periods of EV-only driving keeps the 12V battery topped up as well.

I have now 3000km on the clock in my P400e and so far no issues. My daily commuting can be done on pure electric so it's great. 22MY Defender 110 P400e SE w/ Off-Road Pack, Driver Assist Pack, Cold Climate Pack, Comfort & Convenience Pack + ClearSight Rear-View Mirror & 11.4" Infotainment Screen
Post #926455 20th Oct 2021 4:16am
Ritson

France 
Excellent idea, perhaps the Forum moderator can create a new sub-group under the main New Defender 2020+ (L663) heading specifically for P400e related threads. After all, as time goes by more and more people will be moving to PHEV defenders I’m sure.

Ive done nearly 1500km in mine so far, about 90% of that in EV mode, I couldn’t be happier with it! Current: MY22 P400e SE
Prior: Discovery Sport HSE, Jaguar F-Type S, Discovery 3, RR Vogue
Post #926460 20th Oct 2021 6:09am
NvD42

South Africa 
Drive in Non-Electric mode
Hi

I am VERY interested in buying a P400e

The drive in petrol only with the weight and size bothers me. We do long journeys in South Africa towing also. I am worried the 4 Cylinder won’t be up to the task on its own.

But my daily need would be on EV only.

Also zero tax / price incentive for EV or Hybrid here at the tip of Africa.

So please comment on longer journeys in petrol only loaded for holidays
Tx
Post #926462 20th Oct 2021 6:48am
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Be interesting to know if any faults or issues. Two neighbours have them in Disco Sport and Evoque and both had issues. One is more in than out of the workshop. When running they love them... 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #926467 20th Oct 2021 7:35am
Defendit..

Netherlands 
Re: Drive in Non-Electric mode
NvD42 wrote:
Hi

The drive in petrol only with the weight and size bothers me. We do long journeys in South Africa towing also. I am worried the 4 Cylinder won’t be up to the task on its own.

Tx

The P300 engine in the P400e will be capable on It's own, despite the extra weight of the electronics.
With long journeys and towing petrol only , not very fuel efficiënt , 13-16 Mpg, Full tank 300 Mls. No Mud flaps for my 90.!
-----------------------------------------
P300 S on air, adv.+ offroad pack, DRL+fog, Dinamica Suedecloth + Ebony headliner/Cross Beam- Many Mods..
Post #926472 20th Oct 2021 9:04am
Ritson

France 
NvD42 wrote:
Hi

But my daily need would be on EV only.

Also zero tax / price incentive for EV or Hybrid here at the tip of Africa.

Tx

I bought my P400e specifically to give me the flexibility to tow a caravan yet still have the benefits of an EV for local use, all in one car. I'm yet to tow (still running in) but I can't see it being an issue, although i suspect the fuel consumption won't be anything to boast about! The 300hp petrol engine in the P400e is more than enough to pull the rated 3000kg. Current: MY22 P400e SE
Post #926475 20th Oct 2021 9:09am
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Defendit.. wrote:
NvD42 wrote:
Hi

Tx

The P300 engine in the P400e will be capable on It's own, despite the extra weight of the electronics.
With long journeys and towing petrol only , not very fuel efficiënt , 13-16 Mpg, Full tank 300 Mls.

I do much, much better than that… (unless you’re talking US gallons?) On that Manchester-London journey I did 24mpg, starting with a flat battery and with 4 people in the car, and cruising at 80mph on the motorway. I’ve had closer to 28/29 on other battery-free journeys on slower roads. Cheers, David
Post #926487 20th Oct 2021 9:53am
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
hezor wrote:
The electric motor is located in the gearbox, it's actually there where a normal torque converter would be in a non-electrified car. So the motor can act as a generator too. The 12V battery is charged as well when the high-voltage battery is being charged. So long periods of EV-only driving keeps the 12V battery topped up as well.

I have now 3000km on the clock in my P400e and so far no issues. My daily commuting can be done on pure electric so it's great.

Thanks - interesting! Land Rover seem to have implemented a really good system; much better than I’d even thought. The EV-petrol engine transition is unbeliveably smooth!

Another question for anyone:
What happens when you are driving in hybrid mode on a cold day, and the engine needs to start up? I feel like it’s a bit mechanically unsympathetic to make a petrol engine go from sitting cold to pushing hard in a split second. Does the car turn the engine over at all, or warm the oil or anything clever? Cheers, David
Post #926488 20th Oct 2021 9:56am
Ritson

France 
Good question Cheshire! Hopefully the boffins in LR R&D have thought of that and put some mechanism in place. I was also wondering about the impact of the short start/stop engine use in terms of running in the engine. LR specifically advises against multiple short journeys and sudden acceleration when running in their Petrol/Diesel engines, yet this is exactly what the P300 engine will experience in normal use in the PHEV. I'm wondering if it is wise to run on save mode for a few extended trips just to break the engine in a bit? Current: MY22 P400e SE
Post #926493 20th Oct 2021 10:13am
Defendit..

Netherlands 
With long journeys and towing petrol only , not very fuel efficiënt , 13-16 Mpg, Full tank 300 Mls.[/quote]

I do much, much better than that… (unless you’re talking US gallons?) On that Manchester-London journey I did 24mpg, starting with a flat battery and with 4 people in the car, and cruising at 80mph on the motorway. I’ve had closer to 28/29 on other battery-free journeys on slower roads.[/quote]

Yes I did calculate on US gallon, eq to 3.78 Ltrs
My D90 P300 needs 12/13.Ltrs each 100 Km by 80 Mls.hour, so almost the same
10 Ltrs by 62 Mls hour. No Mud flaps for my 90.!
-----------------------------------------
P300 S on air, adv.+ offroad pack, DRL+fog, Dinamica Suedecloth + Ebony headliner/Cross Beam- Many Mods..
Post #926495 20th Oct 2021 10:31am
EmEff

United Kingdom 
Ritson wrote:
Good question Cheshire! Hopefully the boffins in LR R&D have thought of that and put some mechanism in place. I was also wondering about the impact of the short start/stop engine use in terms of running in the engine. LR specifically advises against multiple short journeys and sudden acceleration when running in their Petrol/Diesel engines, yet this is exactly what the P300 engine will experience in normal use in the PHEV. I'm wondering if it is wise to run on save mode for a few extended trips just to break the engine in a bit?

Very happy with balance of hybrid setting so far. Set out this morning with 28miles range indicated and apparently got just over that. Engine kicks in on motorway hills. This is my normal commute but as I have to pull out onto fast roads near the start of each leg I can begin with both the motor and engine early on. It will take a few miles before it allows hybrid mode to switch back to EV after that and the assistance will eat into the electric range. After the battery is depleted on a long mixed road run I get about 30-35 mpg.
Post #926824 22nd Oct 2021 10:33pm
EmEff

United Kingdom 
Ritson wrote:
Good question Cheshire! Hopefully the boffins in LR R&D have thought of that and put some mechanism in place. I was also wondering about the impact of the short start/stop engine use in terms of running in the engine. LR specifically advises against multiple short journeys and sudden acceleration when running in their Petrol/Diesel engines, yet this is exactly what the P300 engine will experience in normal use in the PHEV. I'm wondering if it is wise to run on save mode for a few extended trips just to break the engine in a bit?

Very happy with balance of hybrid setting so far. Set out this morning with 28miles range indicated and apparently got just over that. Engine kicks in on motorway hills. This is my normal commute but as I have to pull out onto fast roads near the start of each leg I can begin with both the motor and engine early on. It will take a few miles before it allows hybrid mode to switch back to EV after that and the assistance will eat into the electric range. After the battery is depleted on a long mixed road run I get about 30-35 mpg.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #926825 22nd Oct 2021 10:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1