United Kingdom 1985 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Java Black
2015 110
Post #925932 16th Oct 2021 12:04pm
dorsetsmith

Uprated door looms as in Question adding wiring and plug for extra faction
Post #925935 16th Oct 2021 12:16pm
Marks Landy

United Kingdom 1985 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Java Black
I suspect the OEM wiring has broken due fatigue in normal operation. The wire appears to stiff, maybe good quality silicone wire may help?
Post #925937 16th Oct 2021 12:31pm
Rossco123

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Caledonian Blue
Re: Central locking fault
Doc P wrote:
Got back to my Def this afternoon and it didn't respond to the remote. Replaced the key fob battery (got mugged for �5 by a local jeweller for it who was the only shop to sell 2032s nearby) and still no joy. Walked bloody miles too - all with a gammy achilles.

Noticed the LED on the dash wasn't flashing, so assumed it was a shafted battery or suchlike as the whole car was dead. I've never used the door key to gain entry before and the lock was crudded solid and I couldn't get the key all the way in. So I was stuck Thumbs Up

Green Flag guy arrived. De-crudded door lock. Got in. Battery fine.

Fault found to be blown fuse under dash (F9). Changed fuse (20A). All good, but sluggish/inconsistent locking release on the rear offside door mechanism - maybe the cause?

Green Flag dude used his ammeter and found that activating the locking was drawing 8 Amps (which sounds like a lot - is it?). He said it may spike higher, but his tester maybe wasn't 'fast' enough to pick it up? Thought it may be chaffed or broken wiring or, if not, the solenoid?

If it isn't the wiring, do you recommend replacing the locking mechanism/solenoid? How expensive/easy/any tips?

Or do I just bite the bullet and take it to a sparky and bear the cost? (I don't want a fire)

Top tip - de-crud your door locks now and again so your key gets in. I could have sat in the boot I suppose, but would have looked a right tw@t parked outside the vets where it was Laughing

Juts interested as am having a similar problem - F9 suggests front wipers? Specifically for my problem I fixed the central locking wires in the rear door (common problem/snapped) - I checked all doors (door cards off) and central locking is still not working - am wondering if its a fuse issue - I pulled some fuses from under the drivers seat and then i messed up my alarm fob (now fixed) so hesitant to pull any more fuses until i know which one to focus on... to clarify central locking not working (imobalizer works fine with fob, all wires checked (no signal on altimeter)... if anyone has any ideas that would be appreciated
Post #1011267 15th Oct 2023 9:03am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12