↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Modifications & Maintenance (L663) > Roof rack after purchase
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Chioti

United States 
Is the 90 a different width than the 110? In any case Thule makes different length crossbars. 2021 Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE, Eiger Gray, Black Folding Fabric Roof
Post #922251 21st Sep 2021 5:27pm
Webless

United Kingdom 
I’ve been struggling to find the measurements for the Land Rover bars as that would help confirm any difference between the 90 and 110. The installation instructions do reference the two model specific sets/product codes so I’m guessing while the main body width is the same there is some difference in the rear due to the tapering toward the rear - difficult to tell. I’ll likely be ordering some and will find out/report back.
Post #922252 21st Sep 2021 5:31pm
Chioti

United States 
That is true for the LR bars which don't extend past the feet. In the case of this Thule setup, the bars are the exact same width so you get slightly more overhang on the rear bar (honestly it isn't even noticeable). 2021 Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE, Eiger Gray, Black Folding Fabric Roof
Post #922253 21st Sep 2021 5:37pm
darlas890a

United States 
Thule

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

This is what I went with for my 90. I liked the lower profile of Thule and the longer bars.
Wingbars Evo 135
Rapid Podium 460R
FIt Kit 183040
Post #924300 4th Oct 2021 4:04am
MBurns48

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Baltic Blue
I have installed the 3/4 length FR rack and I’m really chuffed with it. After some testing and fiddling, it’s now very quiet (although when I first fitted it, it sounded like an aircraft trying to take off).

It’s so light that there is no real noticeable impact on driving dynamics, for me at least. It does knock fuel economy, especially on the motorway, however.

It’s my first FR product and I must say I’m very impressed with the overall build quality and practicality of the design, worth the expense I would say. Although it’s not the full length rack, IMHO it’s plenty big enough for most applications, especially for those not using a RTT.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #925596 14th Oct 2021 9:32am
G4R1

United Kingdom 
Can the aero bars themselves on OEM expedition roof rack be moved or removed 1 at a time? 3.0L MHVE D200 S Pangea Green+Black Pack
Adv. + Off-Road and Family Packs
Post #927238 26th Oct 2021 5:58pm
cyberhusky

Luxembourg 
Roof rack bolts torque fixing?
I have the original LR Expedition roof rack on my Defender 110.
I want to move some bars to fix a roof tent (Yakima SkyRise HD Medium) at the very far end of the rack. Unfortunately the rear bars are very wide so I want to move one of the 8cm wide bars.

Does anybody know which torque I have to fix the bolts when moving resp. replacing a horizontal bar? 22MY Defender 110 (actual) | 10MY Freelander 2 (history) | 15MY Discovery Sport HSE (history)
Post #928346 3rd Nov 2021 12:24pm
Pdegroote

Belgium 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Coniston Green
Zeplin000 wrote:
I’m also thinking about fitting a roof rack. I like the look of the LR rack but in the uk it’s about £400 more than the front runner equivalent (appr £850). Has anyone fitted the front runner rack to their new defender? Any pros/cons of the frontrunner rack? I see it covers the antenna at the back so could be an issue with gps and maybe clear sight camera.

If I go the LR route would the frontrunner accessories be compatible?

I fitted a frontrunner roof rack. It is ok, as long as you also buy the optional wind deflector. Without it the roof rack starts resonating around 80 kmph.
Once installed with wind deflector it doesn't resonates but does create additional wind noise. I don't know if the LR rack performs any better.
There is no issue with the antenne or rear view camera.

I can't comment on the accessories from front runner as don't have any.
Post #932482 5th Dec 2021 12:39pm
Pdegroote

Belgium 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Coniston Green
MBurns48 wrote:
I have installed the 3/4 length FR rack and I’m really chuffed with it. After some testing and fiddling, it’s now very quiet (although when I first fitted it, it sounded like an aircraft trying to take off).

]

I couldn't stop it from vibrating heavily around 80 kmph (50mph) no matter what i tried, until i bought the optional wind deflector..
Post #932483 5th Dec 2021 12:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123