↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > New chassis or Modify and Galv original - Thoughts?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Shroppy

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 130 V8 Petrol HCPU Aintree Green
New chassis or Modify and Galv original - Thoughts?
I am strongly considering reverting back to my original chassis for the 127 build, it really didn't warrant replacement, I was just tempted by a good deal from Richards. Laughing

Whilst it would push the already delayed project back further, it would keep the vehicle original and exportable if required. More importantly it would allow me to future proof the chassis for different engines, configurations etc.

So far the plan is:

- Acid dip
- Modification/tidy up
- Galvanise

I would welcome any thoughts on what should be done to the chassis whilst it's bare, so far I've got the following:

- Adaptor plates in place of engine mounts (I've contacted Marsland to see if they could supply them).
- Modify rear crossmember to accommodate the later, adjustable tub bracket.
- Add additional bracing to outriggers as per later chassis'.
- Convert to plastic tank brackets

On the face of it, this is a rather pointless exercise when I have a new, painted RC chassis ready to go but I can't help but feel I would be missing a trick by not exploring this option. 1985 127 V8 Build Thread
Series 2 109"
Series 1 80"

Last edited by Shroppy on 12th Oct 2021 4:12pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #925388 12th Oct 2021 7:51am
Shroppy

One thing I'm not certain of is the benefit of adaptor plates over the original V8 engine mounts, would it make an LS3/M57/Electric motor swap that much easier? Or could mounts be easily fabricated to pick up on the original V8 mounts?

In the short term I'll run a 4.6 RV8 but am keen to keep my options open without the need to weld new mounts to a galvy chassis... 1985 127 V8 Build Thread
Series 2 109"
Series 1 80"
Post #925394 12th Oct 2021 8:30am
Race.it

Spain 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
I have read somewhere that places dont like to galvanise or acid dip old chassis, I did see a Makher video recently where they got the original chassis number stamped to the new chassis?

Can you compare yours to a Wolf (HD) chassis think Will from LRWorkshop did a video of the differences from the STD to HD chassis recently on his channel, extra plating etc. Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

5 months after starting the search I found it, and here is the details
Post #925397 12th Oct 2021 9:26am
Shroppy

You're certainly correct that any reputable galvanisers won't touch a used chassis due to the risk of trapped rust/crud/dirt in the rails contaminating their tanks. As I understand it (through friends who have theirs done), they are happy to dip them so long as they have been chemically stripped beforehand. The stripping process seems to actually cost more than the galvanising but removes any surface contaminants by totally submersing the parts in a range of chemicals.

I also saw that video from Mahker, not sure where you would stand from a legal/export point of view with a new, but stamped chassis? I suppose that as they are type approved and conform to original spec (mostly) you would be hard pushed to know. That said, I can't really justify buying a Marslands when I have a very good original chassis and a new Richards one in stock. Rolling with laughter Good point re the uprated aspects of a wolf chassis. 1985 127 V8 Build Thread
Series 2 109"
Series 1 80"
Post #925398 12th Oct 2021 9:41am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1