↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Orders 2022MY (L663) > Matrix LED
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Gareth

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
You can switch off the matrix function, and turn on the front fog lights. 2021 Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE D300 MHEV
1966 S2a 109 aka Betsy
1968 S2a 88 aka Bob
2014 Jaaaag F Type 3.0 Supercharged.
Post #924956 8th Oct 2021 9:35am
Hissinsid

United Kingdom 
wawibu wrote:
jomara wrote:
Have a watch here Thumbs Up

That's just a promo video, which promise everything but might be working differently in reality. I have had an Audi Q8 with Matrix which was great. My current Volvo had only auto high beam and that is far away for the matrix capability of the Audi. Therefore I'm looking for a real video of how the matrix works in the defender.

I have the L405 with them as per that video. They work exactly like that, it’s not just marketing. As others have said they are brilliant, just like everyone is saying. In fact I would say they are pretty much the best thing manufacturers have come up with in years as far as I’m concerned. I wouldn’t have a car without them now.
Post #925031 8th Oct 2021 7:58pm
stng110

Australia 
Supacat wrote:
cyberhusky wrote:
On this pictures one sees the light is switching off on the left side of the bus to not blind the bus driver on the side mirror. Some seconds later the light switched off behind the bus.

When another car appeared on the side of the bus the matrix led switched off for the car too. Very impressive and good viewable in light fog.

Click image to enlarge

I keep looking at that and see the area where the lights have switched off as being preferable to the areas where they are still on and there's just glare.

Wouldn't ordinary dipped beam and some low placed fog lamps do a better job in those circumstances?

The beauty of matrix lighting is that they provide the sort of illumination you get with high beam but without dazzling the traffic. The only time it is better to switch them off is in heavy fog, when you’d have high beam off too. This seems to be in a bit of fog, but I suspect the camera is distorting the effect. It has to be really heavy fog for glare to become a problem.
Post #925041 8th Oct 2021 9:41pm
cyberhusky

Luxembourg 
Yesterday night I drove on a 4 lane motorway (not highway) in Belgium, with only 3 cars on the road, mine, one in front of me an one on the outer lane on the oncoming traffic.
There the matrixe light was a problem, although the car in front was correctly illuminated by my lights the oncoming car was clearly blinded. I had to switch off the automatic matrix light. 22MY Defender 110 (actual) | 10MY Freelander 2 (history) | 15MY Discovery Sport HSE (history)

Last edited by cyberhusky on 10th Oct 2021 12:49pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #925070 9th Oct 2021 11:58am
J77

Scotland 
Odd, never happened on my velar, 3 years ownership and it was never off full beam Laughing

I did have to get them replaced under warranty though, that was an absolute nightmare. Both were cracking in the same place, the hoops myself and the dealer had to go through was unreal. Also had to get the rear light replaced but they didn’t question that one as I found a technical bulletin for it.

For both headlights it was £2500 + VAT each side not including fitting 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #925082 9th Oct 2021 3:33pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
For anyone wanting to keep a vehicle long term, or for a 2nd/3rd/4th owner the idea of headlights costing that much is frightening.

At some point vehicles are going to be completely written off for damaged headlights.

I'm struggling to see where that cost comes from. LED lights in torches, home lighting and work lamps have tumbled in cost with increasing quality over recent years.
Post #925084 9th Oct 2021 3:54pm
J77

Scotland 
Something as simple as a headlight could write a car off. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #925089 9th Oct 2021 4:58pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Supacat wrote:
For anyone wanting to keep a vehicle long term, or for a 2nd/3rd/4th owner the idea of headlights costing that much is frightening.

At some point vehicles are going to be completely written off for damaged headlights.

I'm struggling to see where that cost comes from. LED lights in torches, home lighting and work lamps have tumbled in cost with increasing quality over recent years.

Brother recently had a pair of AMG C63 front 'adaptive' lights replaced under warranty and it was circa £6K.....nonsense
Post #925094 9th Oct 2021 5:55pm
Supacat

expatbrit wrote:
Can't get the matrix LED's in the US; they're not approved by NHTSA (in anything).

An explanation of why manufacturers can't fit them in the US:

https://headlights.com/are-adaptive-drivin...in-the-us/

As with the recent discussion on beadlocks, the lighting regulation is "administered by the U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration" but it "involves a self-certification process, so it’s up to the manufacturers to keep their lights in line. To showcase compliance, manufacturers must adhere a “DOT” symbol on all OEM and replacement headlamps, daytime running lights, and certain reflectors."
Post #925374 12th Oct 2021 5:41am
Hissinsid

United Kingdom 
Out of interest, does anyone know how many strips of light there are on the Defender versions at all?
Post #925378 12th Oct 2021 6:36am
Supacat

Might be stating the obvious but interesting analysis nevertheless:

"IIHS study top rated headlights linked to lower nighttime crash rates

WASHINGTON — A study by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety found that headlights that scored the highest in an assessment program were linked to lower nighttime accident rates.

Study published Thursday Nighttime crash rates per mile were found to be approximately 20 percent lower for vehicles with headlights rated “good” in the IIHS assessment, compared to vehicles rated “bad”. Accident rates for vehicles with “acceptable” headlight ratings are 15 percent lower than for vehicles with lower ratings. Those with a “marginal” rating are 10 percent lower.

The study, which evaluated 44,000 single-vehicle crashes that occurred in the dark, also found that good-grade lights reduced the incidence of driver injury by 30 percent, compared to low-grade headlights. Good grade headlights also reduced towing accidents and pedestrian crashes by about 25 percent compared to low grade headlights, according to the study.

“Driving at night is three times more risky than driving during the day,” said Matthew Brumbelow, a senior research engineer at IIHS who led the study. “This is the first study to document how much better headlights can help with better illumination.”

IIHS, an insurer-funded nonprofit group that analyzes how motor vehicles can be made safer, said the study highlights how much stricter federal headlight regulations are needed. NS federal safety standard The institute said the headlights, which haven’t been significantly updated since 1968, set brightness levels at various angles, but didn’t take into account how well they were oriented once installed in a vehicle. It also does not take into account newer technologies such as cornering adaptive headlights that can change direction while the vehicle is in motion.

$1.2 trillion infrastructure bill Adopted by the Senate in August Directs the Department of Transportation and NHTSA to publish a rule that amends existing regulation to include performance-based standards for headlights. NS bilateral legislation The US House of Representatives is expected to vote.

IIHS rates headlights based on the distance at which low and high beams illuminate straight and curved roads. Extra points are awarded to systems with high beam assist that automatically switches between high and low beams. Points are deducted for headlights that cause glare and momentarily blind oncoming drivers."

https://www.autonews.com/regulation-safety...udy-finds/

And showing how bad the current US regulation is:

" Performance varies greatly. The low-beam illumination of headlights evaluated by IIHS ranges from 125 feet to 460 feet. For the driver of a vehicle going 50 mph, that means a difference of 2 seconds versus 6 seconds to recognize a potential hazard and respond by braking or steering."

https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/good-iihs...rash-rates
Post #925724 15th Oct 2021 7:26am
Farmerben

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Have they also done a report on whether bears Censored in the woods? https://instagram.com/bentheoandrews
Post #925756 15th Oct 2021 10:52am
jomara

Scotland 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Quick question for everyone being told that Matrix LEDs are being removed from their build:

Has Land Rover made any offer to refund the £650 difference between the premium & matrix headlights?

2014 110 2.2TDCi XS Station wagon
1971 Bowler Tomcat 88 4.2 V8 Auto
2022 110 250D XS
Post #926256 18th Oct 2021 8:18pm
Ace7711

Germany 
jomara wrote:
Quick question for everyone being told that Matrix LEDs are being removed from their build.
Has Land Rover made any offer to refund the £650 difference between the premium & matrix headlights?

No, I got a call and they just said "no Matrix LED anymore for your car, only premium LED".
And it sounded like "prices will increase and you'll be better off to do nothing and be happy to get your car." Whenever that might be.. Laughing 110 D250 SE Tasman Blue, white roof, black pack, advanced towing pack, rear diff locker, driver assist
Post #926324 19th Oct 2021 9:31am
MOSS41

United Kingdom 
i got £500 off when i accepted LED, so i think it depends on dealer
Post #926356 19th Oct 2021 1:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>