↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Modifications & Maintenance (L663) > Disable auto shutdown?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Disable auto shutdown?
Anyone know if it’s possible to disable the “auto shutdown” feature? I.e when you stop, put in park and disconnect your seatbelt, and open the door it automatically turns off the car…

Don’t mind it some of the time, but would like to be able to make it not do it when off road - you get out to open a gate etc and have to restart the car, select your settings etc…

NB I’m not talking about auto stop/start Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #925276 11th Oct 2021 8:04am
Tim in Scotland

I understand you say that the issue isn’t auto stop/start related but this page from the iGuide seems to suggest that if you inhibit the auto stop/start before stopping and engage the park brake the engine might continue running - pressing the P on the gear selector should be enough rather than the parking brake switch down by your right knee

Click image to enlarge
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #925314 11th Oct 2021 2:50pm
Tim in Scotland

Just been out to my D240 First Edition, started it up, disabled the auto stop/start with engine running, ensured in P, opened the driver’s door and got out and the engine kept running. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #925316 11th Oct 2021 2:58pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Thanks- that is indeed what I’m talking about.

Mine is actually a P400e PHEV so auto stop-start isn’t really a thing…

Since there’s no mention of disabling it I might have to play around and see if I can “trick” it… Maybe pressing a pedal or something before I open the door will do it.

Can just leave it in “HOLD” but that sounds a bit risky off road! Cheers, David
Post #925318 11th Oct 2021 3:07pm
Tim in Scotland

If it’s a PHEV then just press the P on the gear selector, I thought that the default on the PHEV (and it was on my Countryman PHEV) is that if there is sufficient charge in the battery the car will pull away in EV mode only so you may have to switch it to EV only mode and press the P button? Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #925323 11th Oct 2021 3:21pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
No sadly it doesn’t seem to matter what mode (EV/Hybrid/Save) you’re in, the car shuts down any time you have it in Park, undo your seatbelt & open the door…

There isn’t really the equivalent to disabling stop/start in the PHEV… Cheers, David
Post #925324 11th Oct 2021 3:23pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
To be 100% clear I just want to find a way to get out of the car (E.g to open a gate, load something in the boot, attach a trailer) without the car shutting down… Cheers, David
Post #925325 11th Oct 2021 3:25pm
VinSuz

United States 
Workaround
I don’t like the auto shut-off “feature” either but found an unexpected solution while addressing another issue. I’m a big guy (6’3”, 260#) and hate the short seatbelt receiver, so I bought a seatbelt extender. Now, when I stop to check the mailbox, I unclip the seatbelt from the extender, which remains clipped into the seatbelt receiver. The only problem is I do occasionally forget to buckle-up because I don’t get the reminder chime since the extender is clipped into the receiver. 2020 Defender 110 P400 HSE Santorini Black/Ebony
2019 Jaguar I Pace HSE
2022 Chevy Bolt 2LT
Post #925492 13th Oct 2021 10:37am
Tom_T

United Kingdom 
Cheshire110 wrote:
To be 100% clear I just want to find a way to get out of the car (E.g to open a gate, load something in the boot, attach a trailer) without the car shutting down…

This annoys me greatly as well and would like to be able to disable it. No good for getting out and opening site gates or farm gates.
Post #925554 13th Oct 2021 6:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1