↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Help needed to reconfigure our set up.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Help needed to reconfigure our set up.
Historically, it’s been just the 2 of us and the dog for our big trips, but we now have a 3 year old and I’m stressing out* about how to set the 110SW up. It’s important to get everything accessible as we rarely stay in one place for more than a night or 2.

Current set up is: I remove the second and third row seats with a flat platform across the 2nd row seat box and footwell for ARB fridge on one side and dog on the other. Cooker and water go in what was the 2nd row footwell under fridge/dog. In the boot I’ve got a flat platform across the wheel boxes, camp chairs and table etc. go underneath. Clothes and food etc on top of the platform in plastic boxes. I also have a TuffTrek rack in the top of the boot for soft items like sleeping bags, coats etc. On the roof I have Flatdog roofbars to carry the Oztent. There’s not a lot of spare space.

I’ll now need to reinstate at least part of the 2nd row bench for the boy. Due to legroom behind the driver (got risers/extensions) it’ll probably have to be the 2/3rds section behind the passenger. The dog could probably still squeeze in behind the driver, but the fridge, water and camp cooker all need relocating.

So, who travels with kids/dogs? How do fit all your stuff in? I can’t be doing with it all just heaped in a big pile in the boot.

*when I stressing out, I’m not lying awake at night. This is definitely a 1st world problem. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #924100 2nd Oct 2021 7:01pm
MichaelE

England 
Trailer?
Post #924102 2nd Oct 2021 7:14pm
Bluest

It’s a possibility, but I’d prefer not to. Could a bit of a liability in some circumstances. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #924104 2nd Oct 2021 7:31pm
MichaelE

England 
Totally understand that. I downsized my camping transport from a 110 to a 90 and changed from a ground tent to a roof tent to avoid resorting to a trailer.
Post #924138 3rd Oct 2021 5:12am
Scotm

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
Whilst we don't have a fridge, a double shelf system in the back works for us.

Top shelf - dogs and soft bags split by home made dog ramp on its side.
Middle shelf - boxes, fire pit and some loose stuff
Bottom shelf tent, chairs and table.
Cool box on second row floor middle.

Outside - Canoe equipment, Bikes, awning and windbreak.

We found when the kids were very little, they preferred not moving round so much so we changed to say three nights at each location.

Post #924145 3rd Oct 2021 6:59am
Scotm

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
As the family grew we did a big review of kit to reduce size. Eg instead of taking double hob and gas we only take a large trangia now for cooking. Also made sure the chairs and table all folded to a minimum.
Post #924146 3rd Oct 2021 7:03am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Narrow roof box alongside the Oztent for clothes and other light stuff and then fridge, water, etc. in the back. It's always a challenge when you want your camping to be comfortable - we've got twins so know what you mean.

Alternatively, as already suggested, a trailer Whistle

Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #924169 3rd Oct 2021 9:03am
Bluest

Thanks all, some good ideas here. I’m thinking a full height dog guard so I can use more height in the boot. Maybe get rid of the boot top rack and put those items, along with camp chairs in a roof box. I could potentially add a Frontrunner gulwing window so I can access the fridge from the side maybe. Need to get all the gear out and review what’s essential.

Trailers are a nice idea, but we like get off road. Wouldn’t fancy dragging a trailer like the one above through soft sand! 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #924171 3rd Oct 2021 9:12am
8619simon

Wales 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
Ha... I had exactly the same problem, except we had to cater for two kids and a dog!

The Roof tent has been a huge help as me and the wife sleep up there and all the bedding stays up there so really quick and easy to sort, the kids sleep in the Landy or a tent depending how long we are staying.

The two roof boxes have whatever kit we need for activities, e.g wetsuits, climbing kit, cycling kit etc. We tend to focus on one activity when away now as space is at a premium. Bedding etc stay in the roof tent.

I removed the original second row seats and replaced with 2 x Exmoor Trim seats. These are handy as they are single seats so the the fridge sits neatly between them, also acts as a barrier between the kids Rolling with laughter

I couldn't find a cargo barrier that worked for me so I made my own and the Camp Cover storage provides a lot of quick access options for stuff we need frequently.

In the back I built two small raised platforms out of aluminium square tube, these provide storage underneath and raise the back up to the same level as the second row seats when they are folded flat. The kids sleep along these and then the two Really Useful boxes drop between them for the dog.

The drawer system stores all our cooking and dry food and the back door is fully loaded too with another Camp Cover storage system. When we are travelling kit and luggage gets tied down one side and the dog has the other.

I would't say it is spacious but it works well, especially when we are on the move and the kids love sleeping in the back with the dog. When we stay anywhere longer we take a bigger base tent. When I am travelling on my own it gives me lots of options for a quick stealth camp or when the weather is really blowing and I don't want to put up the roof tent.
Post #924258 3rd Oct 2021 5:54pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Bluest wrote:
Trailers are a nice idea, but we like get off road. Wouldn’t fancy dragging a trailer like the one above through soft sand!

Heh, heh, it is at the extreme end of the scale. For you purposes though, if you're really struggling for space then a much more modest box trailer would solve the problem. Or a regular Sankey if you want real off-road ability. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #924282 3rd Oct 2021 8:40pm
west4x4

United Kingdom 
My decidedly non Bling solution was to create. Flat shelf in the back. Under this I put chairs and our tent plus boxes for other stuff. On top went my cheap and trusty fridge plus a cheap set of draws from Wilco. This held things you want quickly or often. A small pantry, plates and cutlery etc etc. A net in the roof holds things like pillows. Our clothes went in a couple of bags on the rear seat

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Since the pics I’ve added a cargo barrier with couple of old rucksacks attached to the front behind the seats.

This is for 2 adults a 6 year old and a medium sized lurcher
Post #940097 29th Jan 2022 10:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1