↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > An Anorak's Expedition Trailer
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 10 <12345678910>
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I very much see it as part of the trailer, to be honest. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #921709 16th Sep 2021 12:45pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Is it type approved? Rolling with laughter
Post #921718 16th Sep 2021 2:01pm
LandRoverAnorak

Laughing Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #921719 16th Sep 2021 2:10pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
IVA – INDIVIDUAL VEHICLE APPROVAL FOR TRAILERS
IVA (Individual Vehicle Approval) is a new law for building Trailers, to pass approvals for building a one off Trailer

The inspection manual covers all the requirements you need to adhere to when building a Trailer

https://www.towingandtrailers.com/technica...-trailers/

Page 127 gives details on couplings. https://www.towingandtrailers.com/wp-conte...-09-01.pdf

That’s what got me thinking that even with it being a mod to a trailer it may come under some sort of checks
Post #921733 16th Sep 2021 5:35pm
LandRoverAnorak

As far as I can tell from a quick skim through, that only applies to trailers built after 2009 at the earliest. I don't think I'll worry too much about my mid-90's (?) example. From a practical point of view, I'm confident that it's up to the job. Darren

Post #921759 16th Sep 2021 8:50pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
From what I can see it’s well designed and made so I totally agree it’s well up to the job and seriously thinking of contacting Ray about the price to make one for me .

Just trying to ascertain if there were any potential insurance issues in the event of an accident, noting my penman is MY2003.

Ps. I think he also made heavy duty lunette locks so will see if he still does those as well.
Post #921764 16th Sep 2021 11:00pm
LandRoverAnorak

Yeah, I've got one of those locks, too. Needs a re-paint but is extremely solid (see below). I think Ray also made the Jerry can holders and a storage box on the front panel, all of which also need to be re-painted, although the latter may get changed completely for something of a more useful size. It was made to store a specific stove, which I don't have.

Last night I changed it back to Discovery wheels, which would have been what was fitted when it was first built. Getting the Defender pattern spacers off was a bit of a challenge as they'd welded themselves to the hubs but got there eventually. I cleaned up all of the surfaces and applied a smear of copperslip before fitting the Discovery pattern adapters:

Click image to enlarge

Forgot to fit the centre caps before taking the photo Rolling Eyes Darren

Post #921774 17th Sep 2021 5:35am
blackwolf

Does the adaptor preclude the brakes from working, or does it still allow the lunette to slide?

One thought on the adaptor is that it will increase the bending moment on the lunette shaft by a very considerable amount, since it will have exactly the same mechanical effect as the scaffold tube on a breaker bar. It probably won't be an issue with this trailer since I imagine the nose-weight is low, and the NATO lunette is (I think) good for a GTW of 5 tonnes.

The proportions of the adaptor in the photo suggest the the bending moment on the lunette shaft where it enters the body of the housing would be about 5 times greater when using the adaptor.
Post #921850 17th Sep 2021 6:44pm
LandRoverAnorak

No, the adapter still allows the brakes to operate as normal.

You're probably right about the bending moment but I'd suggest that lateral and vertical loadings are fairly insignificant anyway in normal on-road towing. This thing has been in use for several years without issue. Darren

Post #921890 18th Sep 2021 8:29am
blackwolf

Absolutely, I agree in the case of this trailer which has a low nose-weight, but if you were to consider using a similar device on a trailer with a 75kg nose-weight and then braked hard you could well destroy the lunette.
Post #921909 18th Sep 2021 11:33am
LandRoverAnorak

Rear Recovery Point
I spent a bit of time on the trailer yesterday, most of which was just spent crawling around underneath and taking various bits apart to see how it all works.

I've identified a few jobs that need doing - particularly wiring but also just general painting of rusty bits and pieces. I've identified a particular issue with the wheel arches that will need attention: the way that the composite panels have been put together in this area means that there are a couple of exposed edges that haven't faired well in the spray from the tyres. I plan to remove the Defender spats cut the panels out square, and then seal all of the edges with Sikaflex and aluminium angle before fitting full width plastic mud guards to protect the whole area. I did the latter on my last Sankey a few years ago and it worked very well:

Click image to enlarge

I did do some more productive stuff, too - I fitted a recovery point to the rear crossmember in place of the standard tow ball that it came with.

Click image to enlarge

I chose this one because it's low profile and would bolt straight on. In practice, the shackle will only be fitted when needed. Whilst it probably won't see much use, it's always handy to have a means of being able to be pulled backwards if taking a trailer off the tarmac. And anyway, who can resist a shiny thing? Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 26th Sep 2021 8:36pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #921964 19th Sep 2021 8:51am
LandRoverAnorak

Discovery Wheels and Adapters
When I posted earlier in the thread that I'd fitted Discovery wheels, it was done in a bit of a rush as I needed to free up the wheels that were originally fitted for a possible sale (which fell through Rolling Eyes ). Anyway, they were lashed on with the wrong nuts so here's how I've done it properly.

As most of you probably know, the stud pattern of Discovery 3/4 wheels (and all LR models from that era onwards) differs from that of original Defender (and Classic Range Rover/Discovery 1). The hubs of a Sankey trailer match those of original Defender and so an adapter is required to fit the later wheels.

The adapter is fitted to the hub with alloy wheel nuts but the regular capped nuts that I had to hand were an extremely tight fit in the holes of the adapter. I therefore bought a set of stainless cap-less nuts, of the pattern originally used on early Discovery's:

Click image to enlarge

These are very nicely made and, of course, won't suffer from rusting and swelling as the capped ones do. I applied some anti-seize paste to the mating surfaces between the nuts and the aluminium adapter and torqued them up to the figure for alloy wheels, 133Nm:

Click image to enlarge

For good measure, I also bought some stainless alloy wheel nuts to suit the Discovery wheels, which were again treated to anti-seize paste and torqued to the same value:

Click image to enlarge

The thickness of the adapters means that the track of the trailer is almost exactly that of a Discovery, which is a happy coincidence. Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 26th Sep 2021 8:33pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #922906 26th Sep 2021 8:23pm
LandRoverAnorak

Hub Caps
Whilst I was faffing around with wheels, I decided to clean up and re-paint the hub caps, which looked to be sporting their original and much abused finish. They were rubbed down and treated to various coats of etch primer, regular primer, satin black and clear lacquer:

Click image to enlarge

I was originally going to replace the bolts with new stainless ones but the existing ones cleaned up well and so were re-used.

I was surprised to find that there were no paper gaskets under these caps but I've refitted them in the same way:

Click image to enlarge

It's a shame you can't see them when fitted with alloy wheels Rolling Eyes Laughing Darren

Post #922908 26th Sep 2021 8:32pm
LandRoverAnorak

Wheel Clamp
Another new addition was this wheel clamp, which is more of a necessary evil.

Click image to enlarge

We had the same model on our last trailer and it's pretty tough. It's also quite heavy and cumbersome though, so I need to figure out how we're going to transport it. Previously, it used to live on the spare wheel but that won't work this time around.

On our old trailer it was being used with steel wheels but the more flush alloys on this one mean that they're susceptible to being scratched when fitting the clamp. To combat this, I've lined the relevant parts of the inner faces with closed cell foam for protection:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

Post #922910 26th Sep 2021 8:40pm
LandRoverAnorak

Number Plate Mount
The number plate location is high on the body on the nearside, and the previous owners had fitted their plates with self-tapping screws. This didn't work for me as I wanted the option to use different tow cars. I've therefore fitted some stainless spring clips that allow for different plates to be fitted:

Click image to enlarge

I cleaned up the area where they were to be fitted and carefully marked for the new fixing holes:

Click image to enlarge

The new holes were each treated to a squirt of Sikaflex which, coupled with the closed cell foam on the mounting points of the clips, should keep the moisture out.

The holes from previous plates were tidied up with a chamfer bit and flushed filled with Sikaflex:

Click image to enlarge

With the clips in place:

Click image to enlarge

And with a plate mounted:

Click image to enlarge

These are vinyl reflective, self adhesive plates mounted on an A4 sized sheet of 3mm Perspex, which with one on each side allows for a slight of hand worthy of James Bond:

Click image to enlarge

The only thing I'm not sure about is whether the spring clips hold the plate too far forward relative to the light. If so, I'll have to space it out with a LR spacer. Darren

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 27th Sep 2021 10:10am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #922912 26th Sep 2021 9:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 10 <12345678910>