↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Professional advice required please.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Gloucesternige

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
Professional advice required please.
Hi all,

As some of you will know I am doing a full nut and bolt resto job on my 2011 Puma 2.4.

I am at the point where all electrics to engine are connected, bulkhead and tub are mounted and dash is also fitted.

So, what I don't have connected is anything in the front wings, (not fitted), doors or alarm sensor in roof. I also don't have the rear door or roof fitted.

My question is this.. can I fire up the engine without these ancillary parts fitted and not get an error code? I am keen to do this before fitting wings for easy access to engine should I need it, and i don't want to fit the roof as she wont fit in the garage with it on.

Thanks for any advice offered. Nige

Check out my You Tube channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/Defender90KeswickNigelsLandRoverchannel
Post #922232 21st Sep 2021 3:47pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
I’m wondering if the 10AS or ALM ECU ( depends what you have - 10AS is green , ALM is black, likely yours is a green 10AS unless replaced at some point) will need re syncing with the engine ECU and fobs re paired with 10as / ALM ECU to ensure engine is not immobilised.
Having the door and bonnet switches effectively showing as open and the sensors disconnected may cause the alarm to go off if inadvertently set by the fobs .

Last edited by Ianh on 21st Sep 2021 5:35pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #922239 21st Sep 2021 5:17pm
Gloucesternige

Thanks for your reply Ian.

My thinking is that the electronics know no different than having the battery disconnected? This is why I’m asking the question.. as it hasn’t had the ignition on since the first screw was loosened, maybe I should wait until all the electrics are back in so as not to disturb anything?

Thanks for pointing out the immobilisation, I had forgotten that!! Times like this I wish I had an old 200tdi!! Nige

Post #922241 21st Sep 2021 5:33pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
I’m pretty sure you will be ok, as you say the ECU’s remember settings when the battery is disconnected, so as long as alarm and engine ECU’s are connected, your fobs batteries are good , the coil near the ignition barrel is connected, the dash connected, the injectors are the same and in the same locations as before then it should be ok.

Martin will be one of those best placed to confirm.
Post #922245 21st Sep 2021 5:47pm
Gloucesternige

Well Ian, I hope you’re right.

As for all your assumptions, they are all correct. I assume the alarm is the green box? Nige

Post #922248 21st Sep 2021 6:05pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
The green 10AS unit can be viewed by removing the drivers footwell speaker and looking up. So you would have seen it when removing and refitting dash.

Pics of it here on remotekey site https://remotekey.co.uk/land-rover-keys-re...mobiliser/
Post #922254 21st Sep 2021 6:50pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Hi Nige. Just watched your latest vid and noticed the truck has only done 16k miles. Given how low the mileage is, have you found any real shockers when doing the overhaul that you really didn’t expect to have to deal with?

Also, I noticed your comment about the fuel pipe seeming too long and it pushing the filler up. I had this issue and it is actually a problem. I can’t remember if it caused an issue with it when filling or leakage (because it has been a while and plenty of landy issues have been and gone!), but I ended up having to cut an inch off the hose.

Cheers
Col
Post #922500 23rd Sep 2021 6:28pm
Gloucesternige

I will do a video discussing my findings and opinions on my 90.

To be honest, in the final stages of putting it together, I would happily push it off a cliff!! Nige

Post #922736 25th Sep 2021 11:05am
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #922737 25th Sep 2021 11:17am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Looking at your last video it all seemed to fire up ok Very Happy

On the video you ask what cheap OBD2 readers people recommend. The issue with ELM327 readers are they are not all the same. Some of the cheap Chinese copies don’t cover all codes and my chief concern with these is build quality. You are connecting these devices to very expensive ECU’s and then asking them to read and write data to those ECUs using potentially dubious circuitry and code.

So in my mind it’s better paying a little more for devices that are made by reputable companies using Genuine ELM electronics chips and code https://www.elmelectronics.com/products/ics/obd/
Some will rightly say they have used cheap devices with no ill effect, but for me the risk is to high.

My recommendation for a Bluetooth ELM327 reader is OBDlink. They make several devices, I have the OBDlink LX which works well with their own app on my android phone and other apps such as Torque.

However they now do the OBDlink MX+ which I would purchase in preference to the LX if buying now as it covers even more specific GM and Ford codes.

Device https://www.obdlink.com/products/obdlink-mxp/
App https://www.obdlink.com/obd-apps/obdlink-app/

Ps. Be careful there are fake OBDLink devices out there.

The LX device has worked well on my 2.2 Puma and many other vehicles. It’s not anywhere near as good as A high spec reader that dealers or garages use, but they cost thousands. It’s also not as good as specific devices dedicated to landrovers such as the Nanocom ( I have a nanocom as well) or IIDTool. But for something to have at hand in an emergency or for general diagnostic and monitoring of many vehicles it’s really good.

Ps. I’m sure someone nearby with a Nanocom for a puma would be very happy to come round and plug it in to your truck. If I was close I would bring mine plus the biscuits, you could make the tea, and I expect a few hours defender chat would ensue.

I’m following your progress and really appreciate the time you have taken to share your knowledge and learning.
Post #922764 25th Sep 2021 3:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1