↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Orders 2022MY (L663) > Back to the beginning after a bad experience.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
4B4B

United Kingdom 
Back to the beginning after a bad experience.
My Defender 90 D250 SE has been cancelled. After a thoroughly bad experience with Hatfields Shrewsbury, (where even the head of sales understood why I was taking my business elsewhere), I'm now at the back of the queue having placed a new order.

So the waiting game starts again with a different dealer, and I'm not expecting anything until the second half of next year at the earliest.

Still, one small bonus... I got a larger discount, this time going through DriveTheDeal. And I decided to up the spec to a HSE. Defender 90 HSE 250D 2022MY - Gave up after two failed orders
Post #922074 20th Sep 2021 12:00pm
J77

Scotland 
At least there is some positives. 23.5MY 90 D250 X-Dynamic SE, Pangea Green
Gone - 23MY 110 D250 XS Edition, Hakuba Silver
Gone - 21MY 90 D200 S, Tasman Blue, Fuji White roof.
Post #922095 20th Sep 2021 2:09pm
4B4B

United Kingdom 
Indeed.

Just goes to show the times we are living in though, where a main dealer is happy to see a customer walk away, rather than to try to make things right.

The cynical side of me might say that it's more financially beneficial to them to lose a customer that they have previously agreed a decent discount to, who's slot was due to enter the build phase shortly, so would be ready to deliver right at the peak of the silly price bubble, given the sky high prices most dealers are now selling current/secondhand vehicles for.

So far though, the new experience with DriveTheDeal and the main dealer they use, has been very positive. So hopefully it will remain that way.

Looking forward to the new spec and options next year. Defender 90 HSE 250D 2022MY - Gave up after two failed orders
Post #922096 20th Sep 2021 2:29pm
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
Dealing with Steve D?
Post #922098 20th Sep 2021 2:49pm
nowrxo

My experience of Hatfields Shrewsbury wasn't great either. I contacted them at the start of June to arrange an extended test drive of a 90. I wanted to arrange it for three weeks later. I had a long, drawn-out exchange of emails where I told the salesman which date I wanted and what time. I asked him to confirm the time, and he never got back to me.

Three weeks later, on the day of my test drive, I had an email arrive out of the blue telling me that the car was unavailable as someone had it as a courtesy car the previous day and their car wasn't ready, so they still had the 90. Fortunately, thinking the lack of contact was a bad sign, I'd booked another test drive with a different dealer as a back-up, so it wasn't the end of the world.

Hatfields pestered me a few extra times to try and get me to come in, and then appeared to give up. In the meantime, I'd had my extended test drive with the other dealer (who weren't great - they didn't seem interested in selling me a car at all). I finally ended up taking another test drive with a third dealer, and ordering from them instead.
Post #922099 20th Sep 2021 3:07pm
SteveG

2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
I’ve bought a couple of cars through DTD and all good. Once you’ve paid your initial deposit, you’re talking to dealer only and I find the business sales teams responsive and at that time used to doing everything remotely. I know everywhere does that now, but at the time that was a breath of fresh air.
Post #922146 20th Sep 2021 8:56pm
4B4B

United Kingdom 
pjm-84 wrote:
Dealing with Steve D?

Jim was who I was dealing with at DTD. For the past week I've just been dealing with the JLR dealer, just like a regular sale, (but without all the usual sob stories you have to endure in gaining a discount). So far, I'm quite happy. The garage has done everything it said it would. (a novelty after the recent experience!), So it's just a waiting game now.

Originally I was a bit dubious about DTD, and thought I'd just put the business the way of the local dealership, but look where that got me. So absolutely have no qualms about using DTD again in the future. The new JLR dealer's price even includes free delivery to my house.

Juwivive, sounds like you dodged a bullet Smile Defender 90 HSE 250D 2022MY - Gave up after two failed orders
Post #922236 21st Sep 2021 4:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1