↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Haedlight Wiring issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
balmybaldwin

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Buckingham Blue
Haedlight Wiring issues
Today I've been fitting new headlights, however I've got an odd issue.

Headlights were tested on the bench and work exactly as I would expect.

However, now they are on the Landy I'm getting some miss behaving that I don't understand.

Firstly... My old headlights were Halogen H4 with a separate little candle bulb for side lights. Standard headlight plug for the main bulb (GND, Low Beam, High Beam) and a seperate +ve anf _ve for the side light (wired in by previous owner taping in to position light for side light +ve and -ve split off headlight negative.

Switch off - everything off, Sidelight position - POsition and side light(in headlight), On position - Dipped beam & position light)

New lights...

Standard H4 plug (GND, Low, High) and +ve feed for DRL, +ve feed for indicator

Essentially, on both sides of the car I have swapped the headlight units, plugged in to the existing H4 plugs, taken the existing sidelight feed and connected to the +ve DRL feed, and then taped the indicator for a feed to the indicator +ve. As per instructions

Issue no. 1 is: When I switch on side lights, both the DRL AND the diped beam comes on. When I switch to dipped, it stays the same.

Issue no.2: Full beam - RIght hand light works as expected (full beam & DRL) Left light turns off dipped beam and just shows Halo.

So things I will check tomorrow:
1. Multimeter to Vehicle outputs to see if I'm getting a +Ve on the dipped beam when headlights are on (with everything un plugged) and check I'm getting a +ve on the full beam pin on both sides when on full beam.
2. Continuity checks on grounds

Any other thoughts on what it could be?
When testing the new units last night, I didn't get any output from the dipped beam when applying +ve to the drl.

The only real difference I can see is that the new units use a common ground, however the old units were also using the ground from the headlights
Post #921930 18th Sep 2021 7:19pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
What does the indicator feed to the headlight unit do? Does it extinguish the DRL, or does the light unit contain an indicator light as well?
Post #921931 18th Sep 2021 7:46pm
Ashbyandy

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
Working for a local indi, I fit LED headlight upgrades occasionally. Most TD5ā€™s that we fit them to, have the dim dip headlight function, which always causes problems.

At the back of and underneath the drivers side wing, is a resistor pack with a 2 pin plug connected to it. If you can find this, located just under the wing close to where the standard aerial is located, and then unplug the connector, this might cure it. There is no need to do anything with the plug, or resistor, other than to tie the cable up out of the way.

Good luck,

Ashby Andy šŸ‘
Post #921932 18th Sep 2021 8:09pm
balmybaldwin

blackwolf wrote:
What does the indicator feed to the headlight unit do? Does it extinguish the DRL, or does the light unit contain an indicator light as well?

Indicator feed switches the drl from white to orange and flashes (orange/white/orange) I presume there's a controller in the unit doing the magic
Post #921938 18th Sep 2021 11:13pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
As Ashby Andy suggests, the first problem is almost certainly because your vehicle is fitted with the dim dip function.

The second issue will probably be something to do with the earth routing between the DRL lights and the sidelight feeds. Try disconnecting the DRL connections and see it that cures it. If it does, you'll likely need a proper DRL control unit rather than just a sidelight feed. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #921953 19th Sep 2021 8:40am
Ashbyandy

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
Another thought, we had one with issues only last week, and found that the pink dim dip relay behind the dash, had been damaged by water ingress, causing the lights to do all manor of strange things. It was obviously when we unplugged it, from the corrosion around the pins. We replaced with a genuine one as we had them in stock.. However there is a dim dip defeating relay available, which is mentioned somewhere on the forum in another thread, and Iā€™m sure someone will be able to find a link to this. Hope you get it sorted,

Ashby Andy
Post #921961 19th Sep 2021 9:20am
jeffersj

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Bronze Green
Article here https://www.landroverexpedition.com/techni...dip-relay/

The by-pass relay YWZ10003L relpaces the 6 pin relay. I used this when the original relay was damaged by water ingress (just like that being described above) causing the stalk to burn out) and it has worked fine. There are heaper versions than the Lucas part, widely available. Jeff
Ex 1968 Series 2A
Ex 90 TD5
Ex D3
Ex D4
Post #921965 19th Sep 2021 10:17am
balmybaldwin

Great, thanks all... Typically it's bucketing it down this morning so no chance to look.

Dim-dip sounds like the issue for why I get dipped on side lights, and suspecting my full beam issue is dodgy connection so will clean it up a bit
Post #921982 19th Sep 2021 1:09pm
balmybaldwin

Right Problem 2 (high beam issue) is now solved.... Answer - I'm a muppet:

Click image to enlarge

And I think I've located the resistor Under the drivers side wing?:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Is this it?

Can I just disconnect this and leave? (Presumably the relay would then just be switching to a broken circuit so I wouldn't get the dim-dip issue and don't need to go near the relay?)
Post #921992 19th Sep 2021 2:56pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
balmybaldwin wrote:
blackwolf wrote:

Indicator feed switches the drl from white to orange and flashes (orange/white/orange) I presume there's a controller in the unit doing the magic

In that case you may want to bear in mind that it is illegal to have more.than one front indicator on each side,.so if you want to use this feature you'll have to delete the original indicators.
Post #921997 19th Sep 2021 4:05pm
balmybaldwin

Interesting, I can see lots of info which says you must have at least 2 e.g. but haven't seen anything saying you can't have more. Having said that, I'm not too fond of it anyway, so will probably just disable it and not worry
Post #922001 19th Sep 2021 5:55pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
balmybaldwin wrote:

Is this it?

Can I just disconnect this and leave? (Presumably the relay would then just be switching to a broken circuit so I wouldn't get the dim-dip issue and don't need to go near the relay?)

Yes, just disconnect it and see if it cures your problem. If it does then secure it out of the way, perhaps with a bit of tape to protect the exposed end. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #922002 19th Sep 2021 6:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1