Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
JB300Tdi

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
Overheating or temp guage telling lies
Morning

Newbie here 👋

Quick back story - my 300tdi 110 CSW runs cool as a cucumber plodding around the lanes, but after a long motorway journey the old needle creeps up a bit whilst at speed

So I thought right, I'll get a new rad, new thermostat etc and set a day to refresh it all

I chose the ali rad from gravity performance. I thought go hard of go home

Old rad out, new rad in. Filled up from expansion tank, then through thermostat plug then filled up rad

Sitting with it running for 20 minutes, keeping temp nicely and waiting for any air to come up and out, put the cap on let in run for more time so system under pressure. All fine no leaks (at this point)

Road test - about a mile down the road the needle starts climbing up and up... Stop and the needle comes right down. Thought this weird that it come down immediately! Whilst pulled over waiting for it to cool, I put the handbrake on, needle drops to half! Thought how strange! Let handbrake off, needle goes up!!! 🤷‍♂️

A short while after the above when stopped further down the road, there's a noticeable dribble from under the car. Thought it was bottom rad hose, double checked all seated correctly I think I could actually be new rad leaking?

Checking the hoses, all are hard with one area of exception. The hose that leads off water pump and joins to bottom rad hose

I think there's certainly 2 possibly 3 issues here:

- Bad earth somewhere to explain the handbrake problem?

- an air lock for the hose and partly temp?

- maybe the rad is actually £220 of crap? Might not be! Who knows!
Post #921944 19th Sep 2021 6:32am
dorsetsmith

Bad earth somewhere to explain the handbrake problem? check earthing battery to chassis and down to transfer box also chassis to bulk head driver side remove and clean and refit
Post #921960 19th Sep 2021 8:16am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1