↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Shock absorber selection - why not Koni?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
alexatnd

United Kingdom 
Shock absorber selection - why not Koni?
Hi All,

Just a quick question ... many years ago when i had a Fiat 124 ( yes that long ago) I uprated the suspension by fitting a set of Koni shocks all round. They made a huge difference.

Since then, have hardly heard of anyone using them. Theyre still around and make shocks for all sorts of applications but the only time I've heard/seen them on a landy was on an italian one I met in a french campsite a few years back. The 110 was the guys pride and joy and used it a lot for off roading and travelling. He had some serious "go away" Koni shocks on it. ... but I've never seen/heard of anyone else using them.... not even in the huge pile of LR comics I've got next door

Any thoughts anyone? Santa - 1977 Series 3 - new chassis, tub, brakes
Gertie - 1999 110 TD5 - like a Phoenix from the ashes back on road
Effie - 2004 110 TD5 County
Post #921730 16th Sep 2021 4:29pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Koni Heavy Track and Heavy Track Raid are well known Defender options. The raid especially so for serious expedition work. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #921731 16th Sep 2021 4:33pm
Moneypit

2004 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Fuji White
I've got Heavy Track on a 110 and rate them
Post #921735 16th Sep 2021 5:44pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Don’t they have to be removed from the vehicle to adjust them?

If so that would be a massive pain in the ‘arris.

There are shocks out there that have external adjustments which makes life much easier.

I was given a set of pre-production Terrafirma +5 inch shocks to test, on, off road, green landing, play days and competition.

They lasted seven years. This year I changed to Old Man Emu +5 and so far don’t feel or miss the adjustment option.

Still early days though but happy so far..

Thumbs Up
Post #921738 16th Sep 2021 5:50pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
I have Koni Heavy Track Raids on mine for the last seven or 8 years, set them on 'soft' from day 1 and have never needed to adjust them-their only fault is the paint quality is poor.

HTH Keith
Post #921742 16th Sep 2021 7:02pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
It seems providing a durable paint finish on anything is a lost art these days. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #921743 16th Sep 2021 7:05pm
Nidge

Ireland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
Heavy track +2" Koni Shocks on 110 hardtop with light load also set to the softest setting...only fox shocks outperforms them in my opinion.
Post #921745 16th Sep 2021 7:23pm
jimbo55

United Kingdom 
Both the heavy track and the raid seemed to be all the rage a few years ago but as you say you hear nothing of them,

The Road/sporty ones seem to go for the fox shocks where previously they went for bilsteins,

The overland/heavy loaded ones seem to be going for the OME where they would potentially have gone for Koni previously.

I think a lot of it comes down to the marketing of them, fox shocks get raves about by everyone on Facebook etc. And whilst yes they are good (and I run them on my 90) are they really that great? Or is it just because other people have them?

Now whilst yes Koni shocks were great upgrades a few years ago (bar the taking off to adjust), have they kept up with the crowd? I don’t know as I haven’t used them, but given the amount of people that have used them previously they can’t be a bad choice.

The only other thing to consider is that shocks are only one part of the system, you need to consider the springs, anti roll bars, bushes, etc. As a complete package, things will work differently for different people as the usage and demands from the vehicles are all massively different
Post #921754 16th Sep 2021 8:12pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I've had Koni's on a couple pf previous Land Rovers and if I needed uprated shocks I'd fit them again. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #921761 16th Sep 2021 9:13pm
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
HT Raids on mine. Amazing shocks. Taken some real abuse iver the last 60k and still spot on.

I adjusted mine a few times until I found what I was happy with. Yes a pain to remove and adjust but its a set once kind of deal.

Cant say I agree with the paint, mine are a couple years old now and after a jetwash they look brand new. Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #921768 17th Sep 2021 4:24am
Vogler

Belgium 2015 Defender 110 Td5 HT Chawton White
I had Heavy Tracks on the rear but when of them failed, I swapped all dampers for Raids, knowing that I would drive a lot of corrugations in Iceland. They perfomed nicely. They are well built, thick walled etc. Clearly in another league than nomal Heavy Tracks,

The front ones are on the softest setting (as advised by Koni), the rear come set on 20pct stiffness (1 half turn where 5 turns are the maximum) but I reduced this to 10pct / quarter turn when I installed them, based on some reviews that 1/2 is quite harsh for an empty Hardtop 110, and mine is mostly empty.

I don't think that I have found a report of a Heavy Track Raid failing, and there's a nice piece here where an OZ tour organiser reports on the tyres and the Raids.

I did find reports though that the standard raids don't cope well with a lift, in that case it is apparebtly better to fit the models that can handle more lift.

You do find reports on failing Heavy Tracks (so NOT the raids). One of mine failed after the top mount unscrewed itself from the shaft.

To be honest I don't know exactly what to look for to properly finetune the RAIDS, except for harshness. When fully loaded for travel, the car is a bit 'boaty' but I think that's rather due to the absence of an anti roll bar.

I painted them black by the way, I fancy keeping the Defender a bit understated.
Here's one of the Raids next to a standards Boge rear damper:

Click image to enlarge

J Antares Treadwell, a MY06 110 Td5 in Chawton White
Post #921815 17th Sep 2021 12:53pm
4RF RDS

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Epsom Green
http://www.red90.ca/rovers/shockinfo.html 2010 Range Rover MkIII Autobiography Super Charged (Idris)
2003 Range Rover Mk III (Desmond FitzWilliam)
2000 Defender 110 CSW TD5 (CTX)
1992 Range Rover Classic (Lizzy)
1972 Series III 300 Tdi (Stanwood)
1967 MGB GT

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Post #921869 17th Sep 2021 11:29pm
Danny Fireblade

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Alpine White
I have OME and I am very pleased with them
Post #922065 20th Sep 2021 10:16am
alexatnd

United Kingdom 
jimbo55 wrote:
Both the heavy track and the raid seemed to be all the rage a few years ago but as you say you hear nothing of them,

The Road/sporty ones seem to go for the fox shocks where previously they went for bilsteins,

The overland/heavy loaded ones seem to be going for the OME where they would potentially have gone for Koni previously.

I think a lot of it comes down to the marketing of them, fox shocks get raves about by everyone on Facebook etc. And whilst yes they are good (and I run them on my 90) are they really that great? Or is it just because other people have them?

Now whilst yes Koni shocks were great upgrades a few years ago (bar the taking off to adjust), have they kept up with the crowd? I don’t know as I haven’t used them, but given the amount of people that have used them previously they can’t be a bad choice.

The only other thing to consider is that shocks are only one part of the system, you need to consider the springs, anti roll bars, bushes, etc. As a complete package, things will work differently for different people as the usage and demands from the vehicles are all massively different

Yup- agree with you there.

Many thanks for all the replies TBH didnt expect that many, much appreciated

A Santa - 1977 Series 3 - new chassis, tub, brakes
Gertie - 1999 110 TD5 - like a Phoenix from the ashes back on road
Effie - 2004 110 TD5 County
Post #923012 27th Sep 2021 1:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1