Home > Puma (Tdci) > Noisy 2.2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Noisy 2.2
Hi all,

Bear with me but my 2.2 is noisier than usual… It started after I replaced the intercooler (seam split) with a BAS unit, and also did an oil & filter change.

It just sounds tappy/rattly under load, like the vehicle is stone cold all the time. It kind of just sounds like the engine has aged 100,000 miles overnight. Any obvious ideas?

I fitted the BAS intercooler as it seemed like a much better quality part for about the same cost as the OEM one which failed. I wonder whether the car is a bit “thrown” by the change?? (Not running a remap or anything else).

Equally, my other wondering was whether the dealer used a slightly different rating of oil or something?

Not sure where to start really other than replacing both of the above! Any ideas? Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #916411 10th Aug 2021 8:52pm
Siwynne

England 
Fuelled up anywhere different? Mine is significantly noisier on supermarket fuel.
Post #916426 10th Aug 2021 10:12pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Re: Noisy 2.2
Cheshire110 wrote:
I fitted the BAS intercooler as it seemed like a much better quality part for about the same cost as the OEM one which failed. I wonder whether the car is a bit “thrown” by the change?? (Not running a remap or anything else).

I fitted a BAS intercooler for similar reasons and without a remap and that didn't make any difference to the engine sound, so I'd suggest that's unrelated. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #916438 11th Aug 2021 6:12am
Scotm

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
I fitted a bigger intercooler after the original split. Mine was a bit louder for a couple of months but quietened down and has been fine since. That is nearly three years ago.
Post #916444 11th Aug 2021 9:00am
ChrisCSL

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
be worth ringing BAS and see if Pete can shed any light on the problem.
Post #916488 11th Aug 2021 2:10pm
jpboost

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
I think it's far more likely to be related to the oil/filter change than to the intercooler.

Without a remap, then engine will be experiencing the same boost pressure as before, albeit (due to the better intercooler) slightly cooler air. I can't see that this would contribute to an increase in engine noise, and certainly not the tappy/rattly noises you describe.

I'd be changing the oil asap and seeing if that improved matters. I don't believe there's any easy way of proving what oil they put in, so just swap it out.
Post #916495 11th Aug 2021 4:02pm
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Thanks all,

Yes - couldn’t imagine it could be intercooler related but just thought worth mentioning in case any of the bright sparks on here knew anything I didn’t.

Fuelled up a couple of times since the issue started, but brimmed it with BP premium stuff yesterday, and a dose of injector cleaner for good measure just in case.

Might change the oil again sometime too; it doesn’t cost much and doesn’t do any harm! Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #916569 12th Aug 2021 11:45am
Angus_Beef

Norway 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
i find that mine is noisier as it approaches the need for a dpf regen, and is quieter after one. it does seem to happen overnight. maybe dues to increased back pressure? Roaming around 🇳🇴🇨🇭
Post #918638 25th Aug 2021 9:23am
foggydave

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Bonatti Grey
Hi Cheshire 110
My 2.2 has been doing this off and on for the last 3 years. It does seem to get a tad better when i use the expensive Shell fuel with Millers Eco Max diesel additive.
I wonder if it is as DeeEss says, something to do with the DPF clogging? This may make sense after a remap as the engine would be pushing out more pressure. I had a remap a few years ago but cannot remember if the tappity noise was there before the remap.
My mileage is 45k
Did using premium fuel and injector cleaner help yours?
Post #918760 26th Aug 2021 10:54am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
DeeEss wrote:
i find that mine is noisier as it approaches the need for a dpf regen, and is quieter after one. it does seem to happen overnight. maybe dues to increased back pressure?

How do you tell that it is doing a regen? I have not been able to tell. Maybe my hearing is diminishing?
Only thing I do feel is sometimes when I switch of the engine, it judders (if that is the correct word), like an old diesel that shakes the whole vehicle when it is coming to a stop. Sometimes it stops very smoothly. I do not know if that judder is because i stop the engine in the middle of a regen... which definitely is not good for the turbo, as it can cake the oil in the bearings due to the regen high temperature. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #918763 26th Aug 2021 11:43am
Scotm

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
On my Ultragauge the Cat temperature goes to around 600 and the Turbo Boost shows strange things when the DPF is clearing.

Like DeeEss I can also tell from the engine noise.
Post #918778 26th Aug 2021 1:16pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Just a wild guess but wondering if your issue is due to a bad “Air Charge Sensor” part number LR032216

That’s what LR call it but in reality I think it’s an Air Charge Temperature Sensor.

Listed as part 8 on this diagram https://www.lrworkshop.com/diagrams/land-r...es_2.2tdci

Or the MAP sensor or combination of both.

Worth giving them all plus the MAF a clean as a new improved intercooler will be providing denser cooler air into the inlet manifold and if the sensors are out of spec due to contamination the ECU may not be calculating the correct air fuel mixture

My understanding of the roles these sensors perform.
So function wise the MAF is measuring the volume of air from the filter box on its way to the turbo, the turbo is compressing the air but in doing so also heats it, so the compressed air is sent to the intercooler to be cooled and increase its density, the Air Charge Sensor is measuring the temperature of the air exiting the intercooler and heading to the inlet manifold and the MAP sensor is measuring the pressure of the air in the inlet manifold. These three sensors are providing inputs that are used with other inputs to determine and provide the optimum fuel air mixture at any specific time.
Post #921308 13th Sep 2021 6:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1