↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Diesel Types B7 & B10
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
andylee

United Kingdom 
Diesel Types B7 & B10
Has anybody on here got any knowledge regarding Td5 engines running on B10 Diesel ? (In the UK)

I am asking this as I inadvertently filled up a full tank of B10 and have now started noticing stickers at the pumps either saying B7 or B10. I have since run through the fuel and refilled with B7. I can’t say I noticed any difference in performance but from what I have read so far it seems that leaving the B10 fuel standing for any period of time may start to breakdown rubber components.

I (my td5) did recently suffer from some misfiring, power loss and surging and a new fuel filter seemed to solve this but I am now wondering if I may have been inadvertently running with B10 for a while…

Have I got this wrong and has this been the case for while ? I don't know as its only just come to my attention… anyone know any more ?

I did find this compatibility list
https://www.acea.auto/publication/b10-dies...lity-list/

And JLR say not to use B10 or at least they don’t recommend it.

Any experts out there ???

Thanks
A

EDIT - I may of got this wrong and seen the petrol pump next to the diesel with E10 but I think this thread is still relevant as B10 Diesel is imminent.
Post #919685 2nd Sep 2021 5:16pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
A quarter of drivers unaware of new type of petrol
andylee wrote:

Your link gives clear information:
"A vehicle (car, van, truck, bus or coach) that would have a fuel identifier around its fuel filler cap/flap that shows the symbol ‘B10’ means that vehicle is compatible with the use of B10 diesel fuel (according to European standard EN16734).

And it seems it's more than a recommendation from JLR (indeed most/all manufacturers) ~ straight "not compatible" :

Click image to enlarge

Rather begs the question, which vehicles have the B10 label?

With regard to E10:

"Almost a quarter of motorists do not know that a new type of petrol has been introduced at forecourts from today (September 1), new data has revealed.

Research from breakdown group the RAC found 24 per cent of drivers did not know that E10 fuel fuel was coming.

Of those surveyed, 27 per cent have not looked into whether their vehicle is compatible.

Among those that did know about E10, price was a major concern with a whopping 59 per cent admitting to fears over increased costs.

In addition, 53 per cent of respondents said they were concerned about finding pumps with traditional E5.

Meanwhile, 20 per cent said they fear mistakenly filling with E10 and causing expensive damage, while the same proportion were concerned that the value of their car could drop.

RAC head of policy Nicholas Lyes said: ‘E10 petrol has already started appearing on forecourts to replace the old E5 blend, and that process will continue at pace in the coming weeks.

‘Drivers who will continue to rely on E5 will also need to make sure the filling station they’re visiting stocks the fuel in the first place, or risk running out of fuel and having to call on their breakdown provider.

‘We’d also like to remind owners of classic cars that they need to be careful not to accidentally top up with E10 and then leave it sitting unused in the tank for long periods, something which can lead to expensive damaged plastics, metals and seals.’

The Government has introduced E10 petrol as a way of cutting tailpipe emissions.

It has a 10 per cent ethanol content, up from the typical E5 used at British pumps.

However, while the vast majority of cars on the road should be fine to use the new fuel, cars built before 2002 will likely not be compatible.

In the UK, all cars built since 2011 must have E10 compatibility.

Drivers can check if their vehicle can run on E10 petrol on the Government website.

E10 fuel is arriving across Great Britain now, and is expected to make its way to Northern Ireland in early 2022."

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/a-...eek/232649

I wonder how E10 will get on in ride on mowers, chainsaws, strimmers, generators, pumps, etc?

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-e10-petrol

Click image to enlarge
Post #919739 3rd Sep 2021 7:15am
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Re: Diesel Types B7 & B10
andylee wrote:
Has anybody on here got any knowledge regarding Td5 engines running on B10 Diesel ? (In the UK)

I am asking this as I inadvertently filled up a full tank of B10 and have now started noticing stickers at the pumps either saying B7 or B10. I have since run through the fuel and refilled with B7. I can’t say I noticed any difference in performance but from what I have read so far it seems that leaving the B10 fuel standing for any period of time may start to breakdown rubber components.

I (my td5) did recently suffer from some misfiring, power loss and surging and a new fuel filter seemed to solve this but I am now wondering if I may have been inadvertently running with B10 for a while…

Have I got this wrong and has this been the case for while ? I don't know as its only just come to my attention… anyone know any more ?

I did find this compatibility list
https://www.acea.auto/publication/b10-dies...lity-list/

A

EDIT - I may of got this wrong and seen the petrol pump next to the diesel with E10 but I think this thread is still relevant as B10 Diesel is imminent.

B10 diesel should be ok, its more viscous, burns quicker, cleaner and at a higher temperature from what i remember. My main concern would be the solvent/additives they use.

Looking on wikipedia it seems that there are some materials science issues; Just bear in mind all diesel in the uk is D5 at the moment

"Plastics: High-density polyethylene (HDPE) is compatible but polyvinyl chloride (PVC) is slowly degraded.[6] Polystyrene is dissolved on contact with biodiesel.
Metals: Biodiesel (like methanol) has an effect on copper-based materials (e.g. brass), and it also affects zinc, tin, lead, and cast iron.[6] Stainless steels (316 and 304) and aluminum are unaffected.
Rubber: Biodiesel also affects types of natural rubbers found in some older engine components. Studies have also found that fluorinated elastomers (FKM) cured with peroxide and base-metal oxides can be degraded when biodiesel loses its stability caused by oxidation. Commonly used synthetic rubbers FKM- GBL-S and FKM- GF-S found in modern vehicles were found to handle biodiesel in all conditions."

looking in the TD5 manual:
"The quality of diesel fuel (Derv) can vary in different countries and only clean, good
quality fuel should be used. It is important that the sulphur content of diesel fuel does
not exceed 1%; in Europe all supplies should be within this limit, but in other parts of the
world, you should check with your supplier. Ensure the fuel filter element is changed and
the fuel sedimenter drained, at the recommended service intervals.
If good quality diesel fuel is unavailable and it is necessary to use poor quality fuel, it may be
necessary to have the fuel filter/sedimenter drained regularly."

there are no direct references of biodiesel though

thinking about it logically ,most diesel is b5 now, in which we would have seen issues with it by now thinking about it logically, b10 would double the rate of wear on any parts that are affected.

interesting and concerning at the same time I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #920767 9th Sep 2021 10:17pm
Julie

France 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Re: Diesel Types B7 & B10
andylee wrote:

Any experts out there ???

Thanks
A

From what I know, diesel should comply to a European standard. You can find it on a sticker on the terminal.

If your B10 juice complied to that standard, it would have been for what your engine was tested.

If not... well... we'll see that later...
Post #921078 11th Sep 2021 8:58pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Well, that could make buying second hand a Russian Roulette........

Read the small print carefully - One owner, non smoker, dyslexic......... Big Cry
Post #921081 11th Sep 2021 9:41pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Slightly off subject but. If you have a petrol lawnmower, strimmer, chainsaw, hedge trimmer , generator or whacker plate etc DO NOT use E10 petrol in it or you will likely cause a lot of damage . You will now need to use a higher price premium E5 petrol, but then again you are not going to be using much of it so it won’t make much difference. This is something that the HMG site seems to neglect in its advice.
Post #921094 12th Sep 2021 2:42am
driver9

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
The Puma owners handbook (https://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/service/document/473926#e9a35293-2822-402e-9094-6c85236fedb3!!1!) states "vehicles are capable of running with up to a 7% blend of bio-diesel" i.e B7.
Post #921096 12th Sep 2021 6:18am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Ianh wrote:
Slightly off subject but. If you have a petrol lawnmower, strimmer, chainsaw, hedge trimmer , generator or whacker plate etc DO NOT use E10 petrol in it or you will likely cause a lot of damage . You will now need to use a higher price premium E5 petrol, but then again you are not going to be using much of it so it won’t make much difference. This is something that the HMG site seems to neglect in its advice.

A very good point Ianh… I confess not to have thought of that. I suspect there will be a few webasto and alike auxilllary heaters that will suffer as well. Wonder what the effect will be to petrol stoves and lamps 🤔 few moving parts but the rubber in the pressuriser may perish quicker.

The follow on thought is… Is this the way older vehicles finally succumb and are scrapped?! Persuading people that electric is the way forward 😉
Post #921127 12th Sep 2021 9:51am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I’ve already had problems with E5 in my garden machinery. Fuel hoses pipes to be perishing really quickly. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #921140 12th Sep 2021 11:06am
htb2

Scotland 
On small infrequently used petrol engines, you can always swap to aspen at a price premium of approx x3, it does not go off for quite a few years and produces less toxic fumes.
Post #921151 12th Sep 2021 12:29pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I switched to Aspen (or equivalents) as soon as E5 came along, it has several advantages and in particular is much more user-friendly in equipment that it used infrequently.
Post #921153 12th Sep 2021 12:58pm
dorsetsmith

Aspen

https://aspenfuel.co.uk/

58, Holton Heath Trading Park, Holton Rd, Holton Heath, Holton Township BH16 6LT
Post #921157 12th Sep 2021 1:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1