↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Bad Vibration - 60-80kms
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
seventhtiger

Canada 
Bad Vibration - 60-80kms
On a roll here - another question for you!

I have a bad vibration starting at around 60kms to just over 80 (possibly 90 - can't tell). It really shakes. I'm trying to decide if I feel it in the wheel or under my seat - in other words a out of balance wheel or possibly a drive shaft. Notice this in either 4/5th gear or 3rd if I have it up at that speed.

I have not checked under yet, therefore have not given the u joint a shake. Just looking for ideas and hoping this is not transfer box/gear box related.
Post #920950 10th Sep 2021 11:50pm
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
Is it a vibration under the truck or through the steering wheel?

Have you had the wheels off recently and you may have put them back on in a different order? Sometimes a slightly out of Ballance wheel on the front will be felt through the steering at certain speeds - can be quite scary when it happens. It may be worth changing your front and back wheels - one side at a time and take it for a run at the relevant speeds after you change each side.
Post #920958 11th Sep 2021 4:48am
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
If nothing has been done to your vehicle just before the vibration, urgently check wheel nuts for tightness. Followed by checking for missing balance weights on the wheels.
Quick measures before starting on more complicated checks on wheel bearings and prop shafts etc.
Post #920976 11th Sep 2021 8:47am
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
It could be anything really, wheel balance, wheel bearings, prop shaft (s). Don't rule out suspension bushes, in the arms or the panhard rod, check for excessive movement or contact between the arm and chassis or axle.
Post #921048 11th Sep 2021 5:17pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Don’t forget steering components and ball joints too.

I tend to find that prop issues are worse when at lower speeds, and better as speed increases to a more mild vibration.
If it’s going to be props at all then UJ failure is likely, you could try running 2wd one prop off at a time and go steady to see if that changes anything. (Don’t forget to bolt back on handbrake drum if you take the rear prop off!)
This would enable you to check the UJ’s properly at the same time, but there is always the risk that it’s to no avail and everything is okay.

If you are worried about wheel balancing, put some Dynabeads in the tyres via valve stem. Doesn’t matter if you have weights on already or not. That may correct it for you, it may not.
Sadly it depends on what it is and with these things it can either cost or cause work before you find it.
Might be worth checking diff oil, and pan for any metallic debris just in case too and spin a wheel off the ground to listen for any noises.
If prop is off you can check for lateral movement of diff drive flange and T box drive flange too, though this isn’t that common. The rearmost prop UJ was the one that failed on mine, on the rear prop. You could just grease them all and see what that does first.
If you notice an improvement and any change to that vibration after that it’s likely you can say that the UJ’s need replacing or prop whichever you prefer.

I thought I had wheel balancing issues with mine, invested in Dynabeads which are good. But in the end was actually the prop UJs that needed replacing.
Even MOT testers missed it, as did I. I only knew ones I took the prop off and checks the UJ’s properly and I knew something wasn’t right and one failed bearing cup was enough to cause big problems. Very difficult to detect whilst fitted in situ though. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #921090 11th Sep 2021 10:43pm
kaney

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
I had Boost alloys on with no wobble issues at all then changed to wolf's same tyres and had a full rear brake rebuild then the wheels were tracked and balanced done plenty of round town miles then had a drive on the motorway hit 50mph and the steering wheel started to shake so went to the 4x4 garage where I normally go they got it on the ramps and gave the wheels a rock top and bottom and there was movement and the steering bushes were at fault and as they had not seen this Landy before gave it a thorough once over making notes of what was needed doing and even though it has a good report things like other bushes and the exhaust were ready or nearly ready for going I booked it in for a full service and the parts replacing along with some other work to be done. So good chance it's the bushes.
Post #921109 12th Sep 2021 8:48am
seventhtiger

Canada 
Just thought I’d update as I go through things.

Have changed tires back to the front to check. Seems the same. Trying to eliminate one set being out of balance.

I am going to put a new set of tires on as they are currently mismatched. Once I do this and get the balanced I’ll report back.

Of note, this is what has been done - let me know if you think anything should be re checked.

- new steering damper
- tie rod ends
- ball joints
- swivel ball seals
- a frame ball joint
- brakes on 4 corners.

I have noticed the vibration is particularly strong when accelerating - when cruising it’s not that prevalent - so if I’m coasting with no foot on pedal there seems to be little vibration.

Test driving today I could really feel it in the steering - perhaps slightly more
Than previous but I do know it’s there.

-
Post #922542 23rd Sep 2021 10:35pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
As you've recently done the ball joints, are you confident that the preload was reset correctly, as that can induce the symptoms that you've described? Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #922567 24th Sep 2021 9:13am
seventhtiger

Canada 
Actually no I am not. I did not do the work on this so am trying to narrow it down….

Are you talking ball joints or swivel balls?

Please tell me more. Thanks!
Post #922624 24th Sep 2021 2:40pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Sorry, that should have said swivel balls. If new seals have been fitted then it's highly likely that the pre-load on the swivels has been altered, which can produce steering vibrations. The preload can be checked with a spring balance but can't for the life of me remember what the load should be. A forum search should find it - there are different figures depending on whether the seal is in place or not. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #922629 24th Sep 2021 2:53pm
dorsetsmith

Post #922634 24th Sep 2021 3:13pm
4RF RDS

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Epsom Green
Suggest you give your prop shaft u-joints a check over. Even if they have no play push a bunch of new grease in there and see what that does.

Good luck. 2010 Range Rover MkIII Autobiography Super Charged (Idris)
2003 Range Rover Mk III (Desmond FitzWilliam)
2000 Defender 110 CSW TD5 (CTX)
1992 Range Rover Classic (Lizzy)
1972 Series III 300 Tdi (Stanwood)
1967 MGB GT

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Post #922649 24th Sep 2021 4:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1