↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > I wouldn't normally do this but... what's this noise?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ozzie1989

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Bonatti Grey
I wouldn't normally do this but... what's this noise?
Ok so I'm using this as a last resort. Asking people on a forum for help with a noise is usually frowned upon, but even if just one person suggests something that may help you may just make my day Bow down

Had an intermittent noise on my 2010 Defender 110 for some time. It only manifests itself when travelling at slow speeds/ slowing down. I can't hear it any other time, although that could just be drowned out by engine and road noise etc. It sounds like a rotational sound and is proportionate to road speed. It is accompanied by a light vibration in the cab and seems to be getting amplified through the chassis/body. It sounds like it's coming from the front passenger side, but occasionally sounds like it's coming from the back.

To keep this thread short I'll list what's been changed/checked/removed/refitted and post a link to a video. Really appreciate you taking the time to have a listen and provide any suggestions as I'm lost Big Cry

Changed Front Axle: Pads, Discs, Hub Bearings, Stub Axle, Stub Axle Bearing, Axle Seal, Differential (new Ashcroft ATB)
Checked Front Axle: CV joints, bushes (as much as you can on your driveway anyway)
Changed Rear Axle: Pads, Discs, Hub Bearings
Checked Rear Axle: Diff Oil (nothing untoward), One piece halfshafts (look good)
Changed Transmission: Handbrake drum, shoes, adjuster etc. along with rear output shaft seal
Checked Transmission: Props off (no issues found), diff/tbox flanges (no issues found)
Checked General: Spent a few hours underneath trying to find anything loose etc.

Here's a video of the noise. What I didn't realise up to this point when I took the video is that the noise may actually be there all the time, but is definitely worse when slowing down as you'll hear towards the end of the video (28 sec on)...

Any pointers as to where to go next would be appreciated Thumbs Up Now: 2010 2.4 TDCi 110 Utility Wagon
Then: 2004 2.5 TD5 90 Hard Top (X-Tech Edition)
Post #920766 9th Sep 2021 10:08pm
balmybaldwin

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Buckingham Blue
sounds like it is something that happens once per wheel rotation judging by the gap as you slowed down.
i know that doesn't really help.

Suggest you make a load more films in as controlled way as possible. (Same speed, same bit of road etc) but mount the camera (and Microphone) in different spots, then see which is loudest to help narrow it down
Post #920777 9th Sep 2021 11:37pm
nitram17

Process of elimination but your lineup has the usual suspects.....have you tried the engine mounts/ shocks? exhaust?
alternator? or a loose heat shield basically anything bolted to the engine and transmission. If its not one of those its probably going to cost you time and money such as wayward broken clutch sping.......to be honest a defender is just a series of rattles
held together by rust and wishful thinking! hope you find your white whale!I would put money on it being a bizarre cause that you will locate when you are not looking.
Post #920778 9th Sep 2021 11:50pm
Smyles_

Denmark 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
Somewhat playing devils advocate here, but I wonder if it is in fact lower engine rpms and less road speed dependant. I could only hear it when you changed gears and when you either popped it in neutral or dropped the clutch, the rattle started and persisted. Yet when you picked up the revs I could no longer hear it.

What about at higher speeds? Have you also "freewheeled" then too and to what result?
Or the reverse situation, revving the engine whilst in neutral whilst slowing or at slower speeds?

My initial thoughts are more inline with harmonics... What about transmission, engine, exhaust mounts. Things that you'd expect to vibrate but are typically isolated with dampeners?

I had an incredibly similar sounding vibration in my VW UP! few years back that would only occur in reverse. Turned out to be the exhaust heat shield came loose one of the times I thought I was a beach landing craft blasting through the puddles of Dundee... I suppose it was the frequency range outputted only in reverse (and stationary might I add) that was in line with the natural frequency of the loose heat shield "system".

Although knowing this forum I'm certain somebody will be along eventually that's heard this exact noise from their own Landy and tell me I'm taking utter drivel as per Laughing Thumbs Up Stuart

Cummins 130 Build Thread
Instagram

04 110 Double Cab - Black (gone)
58 130 Double Cab HCPU - Cairns Blue
Post #920781 10th Sep 2021 12:08am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Do you refer to the squeaking noise? As that sounds like it is working with the suspension. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #920790 10th Sep 2021 6:49am
donmacn

Unloaded vs loaded?

I have a similar noise on mine sometimes. For me it's the anti-roll bar contacting the tank guard. Only really happens when the car's heavy. You wouldn't see it as something loose if you were examining it. I'm going to fix mine with a thin spacer between the ARB mount and the chassis.

Might be (probably is) completely wrong here, it just sounds a little like that.

I would also have said handbrake - but you've checked that. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #920823 10th Sep 2021 10:48am
ozzie1989

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Bonatti Grey
Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply.

Lots to check from your suggestions so will have a look on the weekend and report back if I find anything Thumbs Up Now: 2010 2.4 TDCi 110 Utility Wagon
Then: 2004 2.5 TD5 90 Hard Top (X-Tech Edition)
Post #920925 10th Sep 2021 8:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1