↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Midge Ingress..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
XplusYplusZ

Midge Ingress..
August last year, I went to a remote estate in Scotland on a fishing trip. I was in a motorhome, arrived in the evening planning to have a quick splash around on the river that night and then an early start the following morning..

The evening was pretty midgey, and I had to wear a head net whilst hiking and fishing. As the light faded I was looking forward to getting out of the suffocating headnet and into the sanctity of the motorhome for a bite to eat and a cold beer. But as I opened the door I was confronted with a literal cloud of midges swarming inside the motorhome. No windows or doors or skylights had been left open. I guess there are a bunch of vents in the motorhome and it felt like they were particularly attracted to getting inside. (smell, heat, gas exhaust?)

I spent a sweltering night fully zipped up in a sleeping bag with a small breathing hole, trying not to get eaten alive. It was one of the worst nights of my life and never want to repeat it again.

SO getting to the point - my question is how do you guys avoid massive midge/mozzie ingress when sleeping in the vehicle? I guess there are obvious ones with bug nets on cracked open windows.. But have you modified any other vents (air-con) and breather vents to avoid this type of situation?

A small sample of the home invaders, stuck to the insect repellent I sprayed at the skylight. Most surfaces looked like this:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by XplusYplusZ on 10th Sep 2021 7:48am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #920710 9th Sep 2021 3:38pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
I must confess I really want to do some travelling round Scotland but the midges have so far managed to put me off especially with young children. I've also heard stories of them getting through normal gnat netting in roof tents, which would be unamusing given we have canvas roof tents!

I'm surprised they managed to get into a closed up camper though. A defender has no air filter so I could envisage them making their way in through the duct but a camper a bit baffling.
Post #920730 9th Sep 2021 6:38pm
bear100

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I posed a similar question on here a little while back, after being attacked by them along with gnats and mosquitos.
After a long extensive investigation and lots of home work I can up with the following.
I use Thermacells there are 2 types one is a handy but in gas type and the other screws onto a camping gas stove. Both have replacement tabs which last a couple of hours. I use both together one on the table and one on the ground near it. They both work fantastically well, they say it clears an area of 15m and in fairness it’s close to that. The odd midge, gnat or mozzy may break through. But you indoors…….so I found this works a good quality citronella candle and a mix of lavender oil, tea-tree oil and peppermint oil diluted in some warm water in a spray bottle. Spray around the window seals and doors, they tend to get through the roof lights because they are not sealed and the bug nets are only for larger insects like bees and wasps etc

Hope this has been some help Thumbs Up 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
2010 110 XS Utility 2.4TDCI
2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 (gone)
2007 Discovery HSE TDV6 (gone)
1993 110 csw 200 tdi (gone)
1994 90 HT 300 tdi (gone)
1994 discovery 300tdi (gone)
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Range rover bobtail 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #920732 9th Sep 2021 6:57pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
XplusYplusZ

Matt110 wrote:
I must confess I really want to do some travelling round Scotland but the midges have so far managed to put me off especially with young children.

Scotland is truly world class for big, outdoor scenery. There are so many gorgeous spots to park up. Definitely worth braving it. My strong advice would be to stick to the coast. On the same trip I spent 4-5 days out near Skye before heading to this particular spot and forgot Midges existed - which made my little problem even more of a terrible surprise.

Having said that - I have the same apprehension about a summer excursion to Norway.. I know the scenery would be mindblowing, but seeing it through a headnet could tend to take a little away from the experience..

bear100 wrote:
I use Thermacells

I've heard a lot of pretty serious outdoors people recommend Thermacells - I think i'm going to have to try these things. Great tip on the repellent around vents, I'll be trying that for sure.

Does anyone have good window net tips? I've got a new defender for a week and would like a cheap option to crack the windows but keep the bugs out.. I'm thinking quite DIY - maybe tights over the door frame or similar?
Post #920802 10th Sep 2021 8:25am
Smyles_

Denmark 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
XplusYplusZ wrote:
My strong advice would be to stick to the coast.

2nd this Thumbs Up

My entire time in Barra I never came across any midgets. Stuart

Cummins 130 Build Thread
Instagram

04 110 Double Cab - Black (gone)
58 130 Double Cab HCPU - Cairns Blue
Post #920813 10th Sep 2021 9:10am
camelman

United Kingdom 
We spent last week on Harris and were right on the coast.
As soon as the wind dropped the little blighters were straight out.

As mentioned above they go straight through normal mosi net type mesh so make sure any mesh you use is small enough to stop them. We were staying in a cottage so didn't have the issue of them getting in the truck.

To be fair, most of the week there was enough of a breeze that they weren't a real problem and the scenery is well worth the effort! 
Post #920814 10th Sep 2021 9:23am
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
Smyles - unlikely to find many midgets on Barra Whistle

If the midges don't get you the berry bugs will. These are small mites that burrow under the skin and cause an allergic reaction. Found on all types of vegetation, but particularly fond of blackberry bushes - hence the name.

Always have an antihistamine cream with you.!
Post #920815 10th Sep 2021 10:07am
Matt110

United Kingdom 
...............right now it seems like i'm more likely to survive a loop round Oz!!

Huntsman Spider vs Midge and Berry Mites.......... Big Cry Big Cry

I'm not good at spiders. I better go for the mites.
Post #920817 10th Sep 2021 10:19am
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Chawton White
XplusYplusZ wrote:
Does anyone have good window net tips? I've got a new defender for a week and would like a cheap option to crack the windows but keep the bugs out.. I'm thinking quite DIY - maybe tights over the door frame or similar?

I've ordered some of these as I quite often camp in the car, hopefully I will be able to crack a window open and not worry about the little blighters getting in

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002990...4c4d5ZSSE8 Thumbs Up Cheers Ian
--------------------
22MY Defender 110 D200 SE, Fuji White.
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #920818 10th Sep 2021 10:23am
donmacn

Berry bugs - that's a new one on me. Every day's a school day.
We're on Lewis just now - on the coast and as has been said above, once the wind drops, out they come. I suspect the Hebridean midge must be a stronger and more determined sub-species; it needs to fly in wind that would ground a normal midge and to be active in colder temperatures if it's to have any chance of a meal.

I think some tent netting is sold as no-see-um net, and it is small enough, "mosquito net" definitely has a wider mesh. I made the point of checking what type was used when I bought my new roof tent.

They are attracted to CO2, so our breath draws them in - their must have been something like that going on to draw them into a van in such numbers.

One thing I've seen done is a net panel attached over a window (on the inside) with adhesive velcro or small magnets. I think even IKEA do a similar thing for house windows. I'd also want to take a good look around a van to see where they were getting in. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #920819 10th Sep 2021 10:28am
Smyles_

Denmark 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
Balvaig wrote:
Smyles - unlikely to find many midgets on Barra Whistle

I know... almost as if being on a small island is the same as being surrounded by the coast...🙃

Although it still doesn't stop the wee shops stocking plenty Smidge... Stuart

Cummins 130 Build Thread
Instagram

04 110 Double Cab - Black (gone)
58 130 Double Cab HCPU - Cairns Blue
Post #920826 10th Sep 2021 11:01am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1