↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Drivelodge pop top - any experiences?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Gasket

Drivelodge pop top - any experiences?
Hi folks.

We’ve been toying with a roof tent for some time. And have been looking at everything from a £900 budget tent and a set of simple roof bars all the way up to a Maggi tent and a front runner rack.

I’ve seen a few pop top defenders and they’re great, but the price can get incredibly high.

Today I came across a simple defender pop top being sold for £3k by a German outfit. Then found out it’s actually a British product made just a few miles from us and buying direct puts the price at just £1500 (or £2k fitted).

It’s a product from Drivelodge.

I called them earlier for a few details on dimensions and they’re coming back to me tomorrow.

Has anyone ever had one of these and do you have any feedback?

It looks exceptionally neat - a bit like a safari roof skin. It’s low enough to not cause an issue in car parks and should keep the wind noise and fuel consumption down too. It’s not as big as a roof tent - but I think the ability to stand up in the defender, the speed to erect it and the ability to leave it on year-round should offset the issue of a tighter sleeping compartment.

Here’s the link: http://drivelodge.co.uk/new-products/land-...escription

Yes - it’s a 90, not a 110. Weekend camping or short trips only. Am awaiting the dimensions of the sleeping compartment with the bed boards in - I’ll wait and see if it’s long enough to sleep in - it’ll be tight - depends on how low the boards sit.
Post #919454 1st Sep 2021 1:14am
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
There are a couple of members here who have had these fitted and I have not heard of any issues.
There are only a few choices of pop top for a 90, with Dormobile and Drivelodge being the only ones I know of at the moment.
https://www.lrbits.co.uk/index.php

https://dormobile.co.uk/campervans-land-rover-defender/

There are always pros and cons for each set up and you need to understand exactly what you want to achieve before setting out on your build.
A pop top is not something to be taken on lightly as it cant be undone without a large amount of effort.

The drivellodge roof configuration will remove the use of a roof rack, and the Dormobile one will only allow a small 'over the front’ rack.

Some questions to think about for all pop tops -
is the bed board is solid or slatted?
Will you have to set it up each time?,
what is the residual height in the vehicle when the top is down?
how much extra weight is carried high up with the bed and top fitted?
are the seals easy to change?
what is the side wind stability like with the top open?
how waterproof is the fabric?
are there ‘helper’ struts at the back to help lift the top?
how easy are the side struts to change?

My best advice would be to look at as many other tops as possible before you buy.
Take a day trip up to Peterborough show or the overland show in Stratford and look at as many pop tops on all type of vehicles to get an idea of how things work and asked the owners what the pros and cons are - we all like what we have done to our vehicle but get a range of answers before committing - All sales men will aways prefer their product!

Having said all that - we truly love our pop top and have used it nearly every week since we have had it - its a game changer for us with quick weekends away, lunches out on the beach or moors and I often sleep in it when commuting to work - so take your time and do the research and I’m sure you will enjoy the end result.

Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
 Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126

Last edited by wyvern on 1st Sep 2021 8:43am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #919467 1st Sep 2021 6:48am
Whirly90

England 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Keswick Green
I looked at the Drivelodge roofs a few years ago and, although a lot cheaper than others on the market, they are not quite the same. The one i looked at was on a 110 and the sleeping accomodation would best be described as 'cosy'. With that in mind i can't imagine it would be practical to sleep in the roof of a 90. There are accessories available but these obviously add to the price, which is the main attraction of these roofs.

https://www.lrbits.co.uk/index.php?main_pa...8tiq4omht1

https://www.lrbits.co.uk/index.php?main_pa...8tiq4omht1

If you want one of these for the odd weekend away on a basic camper conversion then, budget wise, i think it would be ideal. If it was for longer term use on a full camper conversion then i think the money saved on the cheaper roof would be lost after you'd paid for the rest of the fit out. As Wyvern said, have a look at a few first and decide what suits your use and budget.
Post #919473 1st Sep 2021 7:39am
s55shh

United Kingdom 
for me the issue was that the Drivelodge fits inside a cut rectangle from your roofskin, and is therefore inevitably narrower that the likes of Alucab with the entire roof lifting. Having said that, I'm using a roof tent at the moment as getting a roof from europe ain't easy at the moment.
Post #919479 1st Sep 2021 8:39am
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
you can buy an Alucab in the UK from Tuf-Treck who import and fit them - so that may be an option if you dont want to pop over to Europe for Equipe or X-V- X

Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #919488 1st Sep 2021 10:18am
leeloo

Luxembourg 
The main advantage of this is less weight up top compared with an RTT, and less height added.
I had a hardshell RTT, pretty heavy and when I removed it, I could not believe how easier things became off road and the handling of car was much better.
That being said, I still like to have one but ligther.
Another question you need to ask yourself, can you live with a roof top conversion or an RTT ? This things have disadvantages as well, if you never had one is something to consider.
Do you pee often at night - in this case be prepared to go up and down often, or perhaps you will be comfortable using a bottle ?
How do you travel ?
You will have to pack every time you move camp. In case you plan to move camp every day, an RTT is a plus, specially a hardshell or a roof top conversion. But if want to stay 3 days in a spot and just roam around a base camp.. it is a bit of pain in the butt to pack everything again to go for a beer run or a short drive to see a lake or something..
The third thing I can tell you is never buy something like this off some positive reviews or opinions on a forum. Go to an Expo, or a showroom at minimum, try to test as many as possible. Feel the materials, test the zippers, lay down on the mattress.. do the math on weight, height etc.. Defender P300 on order
Post #919570 1st Sep 2021 5:58pm
Terryt

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge

We went for the dormobile option after looking at Alucab and some other options.
Post #920563 8th Sep 2021 5:48pm
s55shh

United Kingdom 
pics of the bed please. Price?
Post #920649 9th Sep 2021 7:34am
Terryt

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge

Sleeping area
Post #920664 9th Sep 2021 9:16am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1