↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Faults & Fixes (L663) > Door rattle / PIVI Pro issues /dim lighting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
D300110

Door rattle / PIVI Pro issues /dim lighting
Hi folks,

Would really appreciate a bit of help if at all possible!

I have a new MY21 D300 HSE, picked up 4 weeks ago and would appreciate some advice on a few annoying issues. I have had a look at other posts but can’t find any specifics to these.

Firstly (and I’ve had the dealer look at this to no avail) there is an irritating rattle/clicking coming from both driver and passenger door at all speeds. Obviously more noticeable driver side especially when radio off. It appears to come from the window seal and I did see a YouTube video talking about a rattling insert in top left corner of drivers door as you look at it with window down but I’m loathe to start sealing things myself on a new car. Anyone else experience this?

Secondly the PIVI Pro is playing up . It occasionally fails to connect to apple CarPlay. Sometimes the navigation cuts out. And one time the reverse camera disappeared altogether. These issues were resolved by a long press on the volume button to reset the system but that is a pain having to do this each time there is a glitch. All software is up to date !

Lastly and almost the most irritating thing: the digital dash display (behind steering wheel) is so dim it is sometimes almost unreadable! I have adjusted the dash brightness using the little dial up to max. This improves the infotainment screen but makes little odds to the dim instrument cluster. There does not appear to be a setup function to correct auto brightness or anything like that. I began to wonder if it is some kind of JLR preprogrammed thing to prevent distraction when driving but I think I’m just trying to make myself feel better about it!

Has anyone experienced any of the above? Any advice would be much appreciated!!!

Many thanks!
D
Post #920304 7th Sep 2021 6:05am
Gareth

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
Yes to all the above! Mine occasionally has the creaky seals. It seems to be temperature related. Less likely to do it when it’s cold. I spray a little upholsterers silicone spray on them and it helps for a few weeks.

Apple car play, mine was temperamental until I fitted an active phone holder with a new cable. No issues since. I think having a loose cable and a phone not secured causes the problem.

Dim dash display. Yes mine is too. The latest update did say it had cured this in the notes, but it has not. Keep complaining because the dealers need to know, and maybe LR will fix the issue. It is annoying. 2021 Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE D300 MHEV
1966 S2a 109 aka Betsy
1968 S2a 88 aka Bob
2014 Jaaaag F Type 3.0 Supercharged.
Post #920307 7th Sep 2021 7:31am
D300110

Thanks for that Gareth,
I’ll try the silicone spray .
The apple cable is brand new, but maybe worth trying a holder for the phone. Never had this issue before with apple carplay and never needed a holder though.
The dim screen thing, I have read it is meant to be like this at dusk/early morning? Makes no sense to me .
Have the latest software update and it said it was to improve road visibility on maps. Who knows. All seems a bit over complicated.
Post #920374 7th Sep 2021 3:16pm
SJT

United Kingdom 
My 90HT has just come back from the dealer...

1. Very annoying rattle/tapping from driver door.... all seemed to have been sorted when I picked it up but its seems to be returning each day. I think I'll try some silicon spray next!

2. Pivi-pro randomly mutes...... I was told it had been given a software update. It worked for about 5 minutes after leaving the dealer and then muted. The DAB reception also does seem very poor compared to my other car & its the same with the 4G which seems to never have any signal.

3. Wipers seem to spray the bonnet (hood) and miss the screen..... Not resolved by dealer

Needs to go back again I reckon but overall still a great car (van)! D5. Previously 90HT, D4, D4, D4, D2, D1 (3 door V8!)
Post #920382 7th Sep 2021 4:04pm
J77

Scotland 
I have a creak from the drivers door but it seems to be coming from the base of the B-pillar trim where it meets the trim for the sill. I’ll stick a foam pad between the two, see if that cures it.

4G is poor on mine, could be needing a new connectivity module from what I’ve read on here. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #920394 7th Sep 2021 5:03pm
Tim in Scotland

On ALL side doors check that the double sided sticky pads have not dried out and come away from one side of the the radiused top corner of each door. When I did mine I found all 4 side doors seals were no longer stuck to the frame and this cured the problem.
Lower door and possible B Pillar rattles on driver’s side (I have never travelled as a passenger in my car so don’t know if the other side is the same) in mine were fixed this time last year by the dealership, the car goes back in next Monday to have them sorted again along with the unwanted driver’s side boot wash when the rear screen washer is used….. and 3 of the 4 12v sockets in the car have now failed. Dealers used car buyer asked my permission to inspect the car for a valuation ………… do I sell it to them now or wait until the warranty runs out………. This is now my 11th LR product and the number of faults and unscheduled visits to the dealership to sort rattles and build faults is now DOUBLE the faults of all the previous cars added together. My 1996 TDi300 has had two faults in 21 years of my ownership - a rotten chassis and the Radio cassette player failed………. Nothing else has failed on it but I have broken some bits through my stupidity……..they just don’t make them like they used to!

You might find Mark Anderson’s short video on you-tube helpful for the door rubbers flapping
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #920503 8th Sep 2021 8:05am
SJT

United Kingdom 
Thanks for your reply and the link Tim.

That sounds exactly like my rattle. I'll investigate over the next day or so and let you know. I really hope it is that simple as it drives me absolutely NUTS!

SJT D5. Previously 90HT, D4, D4, D4, D2, D1 (3 door V8!)
Post #920506 8th Sep 2021 8:26am
D300110

Cheers guys
A new software update has just signalled on the defender so I have begun the installation for it.
Presumably these are synchronised so will be available to all now. Fingers crossed the dim screen will be addressed.
Pity it can’t sort the creaking!
Post #920512 8th Sep 2021 9:09am
stng110

Australia 
Good advice on all of the problems. But here is a thought on the Apple Car Play problem. My phone is an X, and the connector slot is getting loose. Any movement or knocking the cable basically disconnects the cable from the phone, cutting charging and car play. Super annoying, but not a problem with my car.

Test the connector on your phone by wiggling it. If there is any play, this may be your problem.
Post #920519 8th Sep 2021 9:45am
stng110

Australia 
Tim in Scotland wrote:
On ALL side doors check that the double sided sticky pads have not dried out and come away from one side of the the radiused top corner of each door. When I did mine I found all 4 side doors seals were no longer stuck to the frame and this cured the problem.
Lower door and possible B Pillar rattles on driver’s side (I have never travelled as a passenger in my car so don’t know if the other side is the same) in mine were fixed this time last year by the dealership, the car goes back in next Monday to have them sorted again along with the unwanted driver’s side boot wash when the rear screen washer is used….. and 3 of the 4 12v sockets in the car have now failed. Dealers used car buyer asked my permission to inspect the car for a valuation ………… do I sell it to them now or wait until the warranty runs out………. This is now my 11th LR product and the number of faults and unscheduled visits to the dealership to sort rattles and build faults is now DOUBLE the faults of all the previous cars added together. My 1996 TDi300 has had two faults in 21 years of my ownership - a rotten chassis and the Radio cassette player failed………. Nothing else has failed on it but I have broken some bits through my stupidity……..they just don’t make them like they used to!

You might find Mark Anderson’s short video on you-tube helpful for the door rubbers flapping

Hi Tim. Thought you were ordering the P400e. Given up on that? I’d say the rattles are part of the character…but seriously, if it is annoying you get rid of it. But what do you replace it with that is as cool and as much fun? Another Defender? Grenadier, if that ever arrives?
Post #920520 8th Sep 2021 9:48am
martinf

United Kingdom 
Do you have the headlights on when you try to adjust the dashboard lighting. I believe it is necessary.
Post #920546 8th Sep 2021 2:13pm
Tim in Scotland

stng110 wrote:

Hi Tim. Thought you were ordering the P400e. Given up on that? I’d say the rattles are part of the character…but seriously, if it is annoying you get rid of it. But what do you replace it with that is as cool and as much fun? Another Defender? Grenadier, if that ever arrives?

That isn’t me! Yes Mark Anderson ordered a P400e but got a very good deal on one of the run out L405 Range Rover Westminster P400e’s from dealer stock so cancelled the L663 P400e order. And got the RR without waiting months for a car that the build of was being put back and put back with its launch. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #920564 8th Sep 2021 6:50pm
stng110

Australia 
Sorry for the confusion. I just immediately associated you with the video…you know what they say about assumptions….
Post #920587 8th Sep 2021 8:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1