Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
PPF is it worth it
I'm going to ask a subjective snake oil type question

Is ppf worth it and if so full protection or just the front

I like the idea but less the cost when reflecting on the past cars I struggle with chips or scratches but haven't needed a repair to date Mike
Post #919520 1st Sep 2021 3:12pm
Andiamo

United States 
I think it’s worth it. Had the front of my Defender wrapped in Xpel (full hood, front bumper, front quarter panels) along with the lower rocker panels all the way to the rear. I have the x-dynamic and wanted to keep the piano black rocker panels nice vs chipped up. Keeps the Defender looking brand new.
Post #919543 1st Sep 2021 5:16pm
Tim in Scotland

Worth it - I had the front, bonnet and both sides up to the window line done on mine with Expel Self repairing PPF. Not a sign of bramble rash yet. I made this in June after a trip to the Lanes of the southern Lake District and I’ve been back since and been through worse! Leave the car in the sun and any little nicks soften and seal up again, no sunshine then boil a kettle and pour the hot water over the tear and watch it melt back together!

Also drove this overgrown one….

Click image to enlarge
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #919582 1st Sep 2021 8:06pm
J77

Scotland 
My owns already chipped, thanks to a Skene truck driver not bothering to cover his load of Balmullo chip, luckily the windscreen survived and even luckier there was no pedestrians walking on the path. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #919591 1st Sep 2021 8:34pm
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
For the front end only and providing you don’t get your leg lifted on the cost, I would certainly recommend it. Especially if you get it done from new… Thumbs Up Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #919596 1st Sep 2021 9:03pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mse

Thanks all...I've got an ok quote, company send ok, I think I will, got 2 stone chips already, despite its incredibly low miles so probably a sign!

Scratch protection is appealing Mike
Post #919618 2nd Sep 2021 12:05am
zilch

Australia 
I had the full XPEL PPF treatment due to the fact we are kicking off a lap of Australia in the next few months
and the vehicle will spend an inordinate amount of time on unsealed roads, fire and national park trails..
The potential for significant paint damage is high, the XPEL should provide adequate protection and
at the end of the lap the vehicle still looks 2 years old rather than 10 Laughing The other bonus is providing
some UV protection at the same time against the harsh Aussie sun over the vehicles life as we aim to keep
it long term, assuming no problems Whistle yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #919619 2nd Sep 2021 12:26am
haymeister

Japan 
Which grade of Xpel PPF did you guys get, seems that there are 3 grades being 4,7, and 10? With 10 being the stongest.
Does anyone have any experience or heard of Ceramic Pro's PPF called Kavaca?
Post #919620 2nd Sep 2021 12:54am
zilch

Australia 
The PPF used on mine was XPEL ultimate plus in gloss finish, afraid the receipt does not specify the thickness yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #919624 2nd Sep 2021 5:12am
Tim in Scotland

Mine is the same as Zilch’s but no numbers shown. How they hope to honour it I don’t know, but mine has a 10 year warranty too. To have mine done took 4 days and the price included paint damage rectification of a large chip on the bonnet and two quite visible pinstripes the full length of the near side - I paid £1900 in total for rectification and supply/application of the film.
FYI you can have just the bonnet done if you want, Expel fitters use downloaded panel patterns for each panel rather than taking a large section off a long roll then cutting it to size/shape. One bonus of having it is it is easier wash the car if you aren’t into spending the weekend washing and polishing cars! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #919627 2nd Sep 2021 7:43am
leeloo

Luxembourg 
I am considering to do this as well, I will go off road often and here in Europe the tracks are pretty narrow, I hope it will protect it at least from the superficial scratches you get from branches.
My 2 year old Hilux had already a nasty one, about 5 cm length down to the metal, and many superficial ones, and hope this PPF thing will at least deal with the small ones. Defender P300 on order
Post #919641 2nd Sep 2021 9:15am
Wezzyt

United Kingdom 
Tim in Scotland wrote:
Mine is the same as Zilch’s but no numbers shown. How they hope to honour it I don’t know, but mine has a 10 year warranty too. To have mine done took 4 days and the price included paint damage rectification of a large chip on the bonnet and two quite visible pinstripes the full length of the near side - I paid £1900 in total for rectification and supply/application of the film.
FYI you can have just the bonnet done if you want, Expel fitters use downloaded panel patterns for each panel rather than taking a large section off a long roll then cutting it to size/shape. One bonus of having it is it is easier wash the car if you aren’t into spending the weekend washing and polishing cars!

Did you have the whole car covered in ppf?, I want to get mine done but quotes I'm getting are in excess of 4k so its cheaper to get it done at the factory, but the limitation in colours is putting me of this option. Defender 90 HT on order
Disco3 gone but still loved
Disco 1 v8 gone never forgotten
Post #920248 6th Sep 2021 4:17pm
mse

Well had it done.

Looks really good, they did a good job

Click image to enlarge

2 stone chips needed repair which bug me, it's an ok repair Mike
Post #925135 9th Oct 2021 9:35pm
Tim in Scotland

Wezzyt wrote:
Did you have the whole car covered in ppf?, I want to get mine done but quotes I'm getting are in excess of 4k so its cheaper to get it done at the factory, but the limitation in colours is putting me of this option.

No, I have had the front except the silver grille things low down, the bonnet and the full length of both sides up to the bottoms of the windows done. It’s been well worth the cost and like you I dislike the satin matte wrap offered by LR as a factory option. Do shop around as itseems prices very hugely and there are different film makers too.
I had a quote from the same filters as did the Defender to do my Mini E that is on order - front wings, bonnet and front grille / lower intakes and splitter came in at £1100. I’m very happy with the Defender’s wrap done by them and have recommended them to my local LR dealership who asked me after being approached by other clients who know about mine having been done.
A word of caution though, it is recommended that you don’t wash the car for up to 3 weeks after the car being done to give the film a chance to adhere fully, so if you are into polishing the living daylights out of your paintwork every Sunday you’ll have to take a break.
I;ve had one tiny repair done to the PPF on mine since - the curved / radiused body colour trim above the silver grille on the near side of mine started to come unstuck, it’s a difficult place to wrap as the panel goes from vertical to horizontal along a curve - repaired at no cost while the car was in for its monthly wash with the detailers.

The place where it started to come unstuck is circled and arrowed below
Click image to enlarge

MSE- have you tried running a hand over the wrap? It feels really silky on mine even after a year of abuse. The local dealership picked it up when they valued the car as a partex recently and phoned me to ask if the car was wrapped (they obviously didn’t look really closely at the door handle scallops where the wrap doesn’t go behind the door pulls!) ! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #925161 10th Oct 2021 8:41am
dshickle

2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Galway Green
I'm having Xpel Ultimate Plus PPF 'installed' this Friday coming.

Quote for full doors, rear quarter, wing and mirror. - both sides Very Happy

bonnet: leading edge

Including full wash, clay bar and polish of the installation areas.

£1500. Disovery 3 TDV6 SE
Defender 90 XS 2.4
Defender 110 S D250 (MY22)
Post #925307 11th Oct 2021 3:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>