↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Help finding a part number/description.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
J1990

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tamar Blue
Help finding a part number/description.
Hi guys,

New to defender ownership and seem to have got a defender that's been relatively well taken care of, though the rear end seems to have been neglected a little. These two pieces photo'd I'm assuming are going to be best being taken off entirely and replaced - If it isn't clear these are either side of the rear door and I cannot for the life of me find a part number, description or anything that hints as to how I might search for replacement parts.

If they're able to be removed without significant damage to them then they may be salvageable from a good grinding down, treating and repainting but I imagine for the size of them it's wiser and more economical to just buy replacements.

Going to need to get a wheel carrier at some point as well, the spare is fairly chunky and has dented the door, hopefully just from swinging open too far rather than any rear contact but we will see once it's removed and the door gets a better examination.

Thanks in advance,
J

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #918873 27th Aug 2021 11:39am
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Post #918874 27th Aug 2021 11:46am
iforland

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Arles Blue
They rust because they aren't properly painted on the back when Land Rover manufacture, its the same reason the cappings also rust.

To remove them I think you may need to remove the cappings, I'm not sure you can slide them down with the cappings left on.

From an online parts catalogue I use the part numbers for them are:

LR062003 - (BRACKET REAR END DOOR CORNER RH)
LR062009 - (BRACKET REAR END DOOR CORNER LH)

YRM metal solutions sell replacements if they are too badly rusted
Post #918876 27th Aug 2021 11:58am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
I have managed to remove those brackets on a 2009 Defender. You need to drill out the top rivet on the horizontal capping as well, and slide them out (towards the door) and down. Suggest to protect the paint below them with some tape. They might fight back and would not want to come off especially if corrosion between them and the aluminium has already set in, as you will find that the aluminum is also bare and unpainted Censored

As for rivets, suggest to use sealed rivets. The standard size are 4.8mm (by about 12.7mm long) but on the left side they also need to go through a reinforcing plate that supports the door striker, so you may need a few which are a bit longer. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #918878 27th Aug 2021 12:15pm
J1990

Thanks everyone for the replies, very helpful and finally have a diagram now that shows how they piece together and thus, hopefully, how to get them off and either replaced or revitalised. Currently away but this is one of the few areas of the truck that make it look a little tired and in need of TLC - The other being a few oil leaks on the differentials and transfer box that I need to sort out as I'm paranoid of them running low and doing irreversible damage.
Post #919295 31st Aug 2021 8:21am
J1990

Having seen the price on those replacement parts I just ordered a new pair of caps - My latest concern is that after an unexpected 700mile round trip this weekend my rear diff and the transfer box don't appear to have leaked any oil overnight, hopefully that's not an indication of them now running low! It apparently had a full service and fluids change 1k miles ago, may need another just to give me peace of mind and a fun bit of learning for me.
Post #919302 31st Aug 2021 9:34am
kmac

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Service does not usually include topping up the diffs. You can check as I believe they have to be filled to the level of the filler cap
Post #919787 3rd Sep 2021 12:30pm
J1990

Thanks for the input Kmac - The dealer wasn't overly clear with what had and hadn't been changed, I had assumed that a major service would have included a refresh of the diff oil but if that's not the case then perhaps that's some fun to be had at my side.

With regards to fill level, unfortunately the Puma's full plug isn't at fill-level and so unlike earlier models you can't simply fill until it reaches the plug - I believe it's exactly 2.2litres which is required. I guess doing a full change of transfer box and differential oil will at least give me a chance to ensure that the drain plugs are all magnetic and know for sure the last date/mileage they were changed.
Post #919793 3rd Sep 2021 12:54pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
The diffs and transfer box are all 'fill to spill' in the same way as all previous models. It's only the main gearbox that requires a measured amount of oil. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #919804 3rd Sep 2021 2:17pm
J1990

Thanks for correcting me - That's fantastic news for someone looking to gentle ease in to self-maintenance/servicing.
Post #919816 3rd Sep 2021 3:42pm
Race.it

Spain 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
I measured my recent change of diff floods, transfer case and gearbox and can confirm the gearbox is the only one where it does not leak out of the hole when filled with correct quantity. Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

5 months after starting the search I found it, and here is the details
Post #919820 3rd Sep 2021 4:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1