↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > My First Defender Puma 110
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Rivarama

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zermatt Silver
My First Defender Puma 110
My Land Rover addiction is getting worse and worse… it seems to be spreading quickly and doesn’t seem curable Smile

After having bought 2 series 2a’s, I have just added to the fleet and bought a low mileage Defender 110 Puma, which I intend to run as a daily driver (and get rid of my Volvo XC90 that’s currently fulfilling that function).

The car only has 40k miles on the clock and has a full service history w annual service. It seems to have been unmolested and has received virtually no modifications from new. It was exactly the color I was after, but i decided to go for mileage and condition rather.

I intend to customise a little and make it my own over time, so this will be my journal.

I currently do most of the “light” work on the series 2a myself, and I hope I can do a bit on the defender as well
Post #919142 29th Aug 2021 9:56pm
Rivarama

Last edited by Rivarama on 22nd Oct 2022 5:27am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #919143 29th Aug 2021 9:56pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Nice bit of kit there fella, but i should say you need security on this as a 1st mod, like a removerable wheel. Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #919145 29th Aug 2021 10:44pm
Rivarama

Thanks for your feedback and advice. Any particular model of removable wheel you’d recommend?
Post #919169 30th Aug 2021 7:27am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
There are lots of options for a removable steering wheel but the most popular is the kit from Optimil, coupled with their boss lock. Note that you'll need a new steering wheel too, and there are two common bolt fixing patterns. There's no off the shelf method of making the original steering wheel removable.

Lots more detail here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/post784276.html#784276 and here https://www.defender2.net/forum/post785060.html#785060.

If you take a look about half way down the first post in my 110 USW build thread (link below), there are links to details of a few other simple security mods. There are plenty of other solutions too (trackers, hidden switches, alarm alterations, cameras, etc.), but the details are better not publicised on an open forum, I'm afraid. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #919179 30th Aug 2021 8:09am
kenzle8a

I've got an Optimil snap off boss with a 14 inch leather Moto Lita in my 110. You couldn't pay me to go back to the standard one, the three spoke design and the sizing makes it so much more pleasurable to drive and manoeuvre. It makes threading it through some of the tighter gates and spaces on the farm a lot better too.
Post #919184 30th Aug 2021 8:19am
Rivarama

Here is a list of upgrades I am thinking of doing overtime… some more “urgent” than others:

Exterior:
- new boots - although the car was sold w brand new tyres, those rims have to go… loving the sawtooth and BFG KO2 combo
- tinting window - may be a 50% / 35%
- black chequer plate - I will try to prime/paint/lacquer the existing ones see if I can save ££ other will replace w new black ones, they don’t seem too expensive
- replace / respray front grille as I don’t love the grey color of the stock one
- need to sort out the headlights w LED depending on budget
- replace the orange/red signals / braking lights w clear LED ones
- spray / wrap the roof in black… I will need to sort out a slight bubbling around one of the alpine windows
- spray / wrap the wheel arches in black
- restore side steps that show signs of corrosion, and respray the chequered plate in black

Interior:
- upgraded steering wheel w a removable model
- upgrade the radio unit, w a bigger screen one and connect it to a reversing camera
- potentially upgrade front seats w some sort of budget “recaro/ corbeau” seats likes sparko or else
- remove the slight rust on the corner of the footwells.

I intend to sort most of the stuff myself; wish me luck and patience… as I am also working on a series 2a at the same time.

Any thoughts or advice on the above from people who’ve found nice ways around some of them, feel free Smile

Looking forward to updating this journal.
Post #919190 30th Aug 2021 9:34am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
None of that is out of the ordinary and you'll find lots of useful stuff about virtually all of it on here somewhere.

With regards the chequer plate, I'd favour re-finishing what you already have. Apart from the fact that it appears to be genuine LR, which is pretty good anyway, you can be sure that all of the holes will line up when you come to fit it again. Have a search for Duralac and you'll find hours of reading on fitting this kind of thing to aluminium bodywork with stainless steel fixings. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #919294 31st Aug 2021 8:20am
L110CDL

England 
welcome, nice 110 you got there Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #919427 31st Aug 2021 8:11pm
Rivarama

Thanks a lot L110CDL… despite its low mileage it needs a bit of TLC and the more time I spend look at it from close up, the more job I keep adding to the list.
Trying to stay patient and positive Smile
Post #919439 31st Aug 2021 9:17pm
L110CDL

England 
That is a big part of it, being patient and the list will never get shorter just longer and longer Laughing 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #919441 31st Aug 2021 9:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1