↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Ko2s in the wet?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
It may be that the country of origin does make a difference, intentionally so. The Asian made tyres may be designed for the markets in that region where maybe certain qualities are preferred over say the North American or European Market. BFG/Michelin tayloring the compound for the intended region. Not directly relevant to this case, but tyre life (mileage) is much more of a big deal in the US than it is in Europe.

When I was into performance cars it was a well known “fact”, that Goodyear Eagle F1s made in Thailand were not the same as those made in Romania for the European Market, and folk used to hunt out the Romanian made ones. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #918480 24th Aug 2021 9:34am
LandymanStefan

England 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I’ve been running ko2’s for 4 years. Definitely a bit sketchy in the wet if you have to emergency brake she locks up easy I have had it sideways before. I guess it depends on how you drive.

That said they are fantastic in the dry and on trails and good longevity too. I would not shy away from another set. As long as your aware you need to be slightly more cautious in the wet I find it’s no problem.
Post #918523 24th Aug 2021 12:39pm
kenzle8a

Bluest wrote:
It may be that the country of origin does make a difference, intentionally so. The Asian made tyres may be designed for the markets in that region where maybe certain qualities are preferred over say the North American or European Market. BFG/Michelin tayloring the compound for the intended region. Not directly relevant to this case, but tyre life (mileage) is much more of a big deal in the US than it is in Europe.

When I was into performance cars it was a well known “fact”, that Goodyear Eagle F1s made in Thailand were not the same as those made in Romania for the European Market, and folk used to hunt out the Romanian made ones.

Makes sense, i had the same issue with GSD3s on my Cooper S i got the rock solid ones. I couldn’t kill them, they only got binned after 10 years

It’s interesting to hear the various stories in one place, I’d been intrigued in getting to the bottom of this as there should be an explanation.

What sizes are you all running, and what suspension set up?
Post #918604 24th Aug 2021 10:43pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Tyre mileage is something I’ve wondered about. As a biker, where the age of the compound is so important buyers search out the most recently made hoops, it has always made me wonder what is happening to the compound of my tyre, given the mileage (and therefore age) I’m getting out of them.

50k is not unusual, perhaps even an average level of usage seen by many 4x4 users, which can mean they’re on a vehicle for 4, 5 or even more years. Possibly twice as long/far as that of a standard car. In that time they suffer from abuse, damage, UV degradation, salt and oil degradation etc, plus just general hardening of the compound. It’s the last point that would obviously have the greatest impact on grip as a harder compound (on a compound that’s already harder than that on a standard road tyre) will take longer to warm up and therefore take longer to grip, a point perhaps exacerbated by rain keeping surface temps on the tyre down.

It is common for members on this forum to change perishables (notably engine, diff and transmission lubricants and filters) more quickly than recommended by LR, so I wonder what mileage -pardon the pun - there would be in doing the same with tyres, they are a safety item after all? Obviously this would be extremely costly, not great for the environment, and perhaps not necessary for the majority of Def drivers who drive well within the vehicle’s limits, but it does raise a question nonetheless. And for me, I can in principle still be driving within the limits of the vehicle but feel twitchy: the laws of physics simply mean that 2000kgs+ of metal fitted with basic suspension and running gear, heading down a steep hill and round a hairpin bend in the rain, is always going to test the traction of a more agricultural tyre to the max. An older tyre is surely only going to suffer more? Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #918624 25th Aug 2021 7:23am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12