↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Terrain Response without off-road pack options?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Dougal

Scotland 
Possibly at the risk of being thick but what is the best option to choose when ordering a new vehicle to give maximum traction and locking diff’s (excluding tyres) and possibly using “unlocks” as mentioned in previous posts

Is it the “off-road pack” or the “advanced off-road capability pack” or do I have to have to consult the dealership to select some sort of locking differential not listed on the built it website?

My D240 might be getting replaced and I want to get it right this time.

Thanks
Post #918214 22nd Aug 2021 7:49pm
G&T

United Kingdom 
Dougal,
For what it’s worth this is how I’m getting my head around it and asking questions of others.
Decide on coil or air suspension as this will fundamentally limit some options but which you may not need.

Coil gives you peace of mind (especially if overlanding) and you can spec with active differential torque vectoring by braking. From the videos I have seen, this active diff works superbly well acting like a permanent diff lock to be honest. I was getting obsessed with the permanent diff lock option but now not so.

Air, gives you the option to choose the active diff and torque vectoring and to add the advanced off-road option. The advanced option can be a retrofit later. You can configure the diffs to permanent lock. The air suspension will be great as a (daily runner and trips). I have learned air is more reliable o than I had previously thought. All the other features like progress control and height adjustment are available but do you need them?

I would say the active diff with torque vectoring by braking is a must and with decent tyres is probably all one may ever need for fun off-roading. You can have that with Coil or Air.

For further advice, why not give one of the folks at the LR off-road experience a call and have a chat. They will offer sound advice Thumbs Up
Post #918296 23rd Aug 2021 10:52am
leeloo

Luxembourg 
Hello Dougal.
I can tell you how I optioned mine, and the reasons behind my decisions, maybe it will help you.
The car will be used for Holidays, week-ends off-roading (not extreme ) and camping trips.
For example this summer I drove from Luxembourg to Slovenia, 1000 km on the Higway, where I started my Holiday, and went trough Croatia, Montenegro, Albania and back, did about 6 k km, most of it on Highways and good roads, but also a significant number of times I did offroad tracks, maybe 16-17 of them on the course of my holiday - easy ones and some medium difficulty I would say.
This I did with a Hilux 2020 2.4.d, my defender was not delivered at the time I left.
With that in mind, my needs are : comfortable on long drives on the highway, decent off road. The Hilux is missing the comfortable part that is why I am selling it.

Because of this I do not care much about cosmetics, looks etc, even the base spec is miles better than the old landcruiser and Hilux I had for this purpose. I did want a petrol engine, so that was the only " luxury " I put on there.
So I got the base spec, smallest petrol P300 with the following options.
Off road pack - I considered getting just the edif in the back but I find useful everything that is comprised, Seems like it is good value. From my personal experience tires are very important. I know the off road tires offered by LR part of the pack are not the greatest, if they are half decent I will keep them for a while, if not I will change them. They seem suitable considering I will spend most of the time on road. I never had very aggressive AT tires, too noisy for me.

-Clear sight mirror - on Highway driving Half of the time I watch the the rearview mirror (like they taught me in Germany Smile ) - I missed that on the Hilux, it is a must for me now that I have the possibility.
-blind spot monitoring pack - for safety reasons
- Heated Seats
- rock sliders for extra protection.
- base color. - I know I will have scratches from branches in less than a month after I take it, so i want something cheap to repair
-air suspension - the new defender is all independet suspension that means you will need every mm of ground clearance you can get and air suspension has more of it than coils.
That is it.

Maybe in the future I will add the recovery points on the back.

I really don't think that a Defender with off road pack will not be able to go where one with the advanced off road pack can. Amybe the later will have less wheel spin if the options are chosen correctly by the driver.. but that is about it.

I don't think is a big issue I can't lock manually the diffs. They will lock when need it, the TR seems well programmed and fast to react. I do know that there are restrictions and consequences even for old school diff locks to keep them locked when you should not.
The diffs on the Defender are multiclutch plates. I wonder how the wear on them is when they are locked or partially locked, or if you forget them locked when you should not. I hope they have some kind of software protection that releases them in case some speeds are exceeded.

So get the off road pack or just the ediff - do not neglect the protection and recovery of the vehicle - get the most agressive AT or MT tires you can live with ( consider the extra noise, the fuel economy hit you will take, etc ), get some maxtrax or some other traction boards and go explore.. Smile Defender P300 on order
Post #918321 23rd Aug 2021 1:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12