↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > ORE Wheel Carrier Install
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Broonster

Scotland 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
ORE Wheel Carrier Install
Installed my new wheel carrier 3 or 4 weeks ago, all good.

I didn't get instructions in the box, but was fine with that - had watched an installation video on YouTube (Boris the Defender), so all good. It was actually straight forward enough. I was, however, left with a spare, metal part that I had no idea what it was for - it certainly didn't appear to be used on the video anyway, and everything seemed solid, so all good.

Turns out that the metal part is like a post-manufacture modification to strengthen the bracket that buckled. So, if you've installed one and don't have it, or have bought one and don't have instructions, that's what its for! Laughing

Really, really annoyed with myself. In hindsight, I should have just emailed ORE and asked what it was for. I've managed to bend it back into shape, and whilst it's not ideal, it's not *too* bad now....and the metal support part is fitted!

Lesson learned.

Update: Anyway, I've spoken to Chris @ ORE on the phone (within 10 mins of my post!) and we're sorted. Like I say, it was my fault on how I'd set it up, but fair play to Chris & ORE for speaking to me and helping Thumbs Up β€˜08 Defender 90 Hardtop

Last edited by Broonster on 19th Aug 2021 9:29pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #917819 19th Aug 2021 7:50pm
Angus_Beef

Norway 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Couple of observations, though it is a bit late now...

the ORE instructions are very good. They are online and password protected. The password comes via email after you place your order, subject: ORE INSTRUCTIONS FOR WHEEL CARRIER

and you must *really* have to slam that door! Might be worth adjusting; mine clicks shut firmly with just two fingers...

anyway, glad you have it sorted out now. Its a great wheel carrier in my opinion. Roaming around πŸ‡³πŸ‡΄πŸ‡¨πŸ‡­
Post #917825 19th Aug 2021 8:08pm
Broonster

I didn't get an email with that I can see. I've just checked back and have two: one an order confirmation and a second indicating the order is complete.

I can only think the stopper was at a slight angle in the first place and I've been making it gradually worse.

I definitely need to get the door adjusted now though! β€˜08 Defender 90 Hardtop
Post #917829 19th Aug 2021 8:15pm
chrismack85

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 PU Belize Green
Re: ORE Wheel Carrier Install - Warning
Chris here from ORE - how on earth did you manage that! some serious force to do that also I can see its set wrong which will cause it to buckle without the bracket that's missing! are you the chap I called this week and sent one out FOC because you lost it!?

Firstly pls email me your mob no so I can help you fix this issue! happy to call you now - chris@ore4x4.co.uk

The instructions are at last check are 13 pages long including trouble shooting section for adjustment so we email them to you

You are correct there's is a stainless steel bracket missing which is clearly shown in photos on page 4 or 5 and the instructions say please make sure this is fitted!

drop me your number so I can help you set this up correctly and sent the missing bracket

Just for info of the audience looking at this post. there was originally a web in between those 2 brackets as part of the design.

we found that the tight space on the underside was causing some issues for the coating to get in there so we remove the web in the design and supply a bolt in stainless section (prob stronger than it was) that bolt between those 2 points. this way we achieve proper coating all the way around the head.

Last edited by chrismack85 on 19th Aug 2021 9:15pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #917838 19th Aug 2021 8:25pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Thumbs Up That’s what you call first class customer service.

I have one of these wheel carriers and it’s excellent. Very well made and made in the UK too.

I’m sure Chris will sort you out, look forward to seeing a few pictures when you have got it sorted. 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #917843 19th Aug 2021 8:31pm
Broonster

Thanks Chris, I'll drop you an email now.

Like I said, that's not a dig - it's my fault and I'm annoyed at myself for not contacting you guys and asking what the 'spare' bracket was for.

It wasn't me you spoke to previously, no. But hopefully chat tomorrow!

Thanks again. β€˜08 Defender 90 Hardtop
Post #917844 19th Aug 2021 8:35pm
chrismack85

Broonster wrote:
I didn't get an email with that I can see. I've just checked back and have two: one an order confirmation and a second indicating the order is complete.

I can only think the stopper was at a slight angle in the first place and I've been making it gradually worse.

I definitely need to get the door adjusted now though!

please email or DM me your full name and contact no - ill give you a call now
Post #917847 19th Aug 2021 8:36pm
Broonster

Have sent you an email, Chris Thumbs Up β€˜08 Defender 90 Hardtop
Post #917851 19th Aug 2021 8:44pm
mr0nslaught

United Kingdom 
I've got a ORE spare wheel carrier on my 90, and its truly one of the well designed products on the market. The coating is holding up much better than any other powder coated accessories I have (none of which are from ORE) and the instructions we're clear as day and sent immediately after purchase via email with a link and password to download them from the website, which is also fantastic.

Kudos to Chris and the ORE team for being so pro-active in finding this thread and responding to it personally to get the issue resolved. I look forward to treating my defender to more ORE products in the future.
Post #917852 19th Aug 2021 8:45pm
chrismack85

Just for clarity - we changed the design to allow better / even coating in the underside of that bracket its not an upgrade of any kind... We test our products to destruction. There's a video on our social media lifting the back of a 110 up but the carrier with a forklift! the earlier versions had a tight space and we noticed the coating wasn't going on evenly in that space. We've actually come up with a newer bracket design since this... We don't mention the small tweaks we make its just part of our continuous improvement.

Ive just personally spoken to Niel on the phone and will be calling him tomorrow to resolve over a longer chat during normal hours rather than late evening (these things worry me hence calling him at 8.50pm)

in summary for the benefit of the audience:-

-Our server emailed instructions as soon as payment confirmed (Luke my web developer just confirmed this)
- The carrier was installed without all the correct components hence bending the bracket
-Niel agrees it was a mistake
-We will bend over backwards to help out - its what we do

Thanks for all the positive comments and support guys and the few that alerted me to this post

Chris Very Happy
Post #917854 19th Aug 2021 8:46pm
chrismack85

mr0nslaught wrote:
I've got a ORE spare wheel carrier on my 90, and its truly one of the well designed products on the market. The coating is holding up much better than any other powder coated accessories I have (none of which are from ORE) and the instructions we're clear as day and sent immediately after purchase via email with a link and password to download them from the website, which is also fantastic.

Kudos to Chris and the ORE team for being so pro-active in finding this thread and responding to it personally to get the issue resolved. I look forward to treating my defender to more ORE products in the future.

we've got about 10x new products launching at the LRO show - me and the guys havent had much sleep over the last few months Rolling Eyes
Post #917877 19th Aug 2021 9:33pm
Puddings 3112

Another vote for the incredible service from Chris and the team at ORE - I managed to lose the rubber bung door stop and he sorted it out for me - so much easier than dealing with several other companies I have had to have support from.
My mechanic says that the wheel carrier and steering guard are the best he has seen in all the years he has been working on Landrovers and is using my truck to show his other customers how good the stuff is.

Fingers crossed that the winch bumper is one of the 10+ new products Chris!
Post #917881 19th Aug 2021 10:05pm
chrismack85

Cool Cool Cool Cool Which version will you want though? 😎😎😎

Thanks for the support Thumbs Up
Post #917885 19th Aug 2021 10:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1