↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Terrafima steering drag link - Cross Rod Eye End wont screw
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
LRDA110

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Yulong White
Terrafima steering drag link - Cross Rod Eye End wont screw
My 110 (Puma) is at the garage having a seized steering drag link replaced with a Terrafirma HD set (TF250).

The garage have called to say that the (new, as the old one was damaged) Cross Rod end (to link to the steering box) will not screw all the way into the bar resulting in some of the thread still showing and ultimately this will not allow the tracking to be done.

I didn't take a look down the Terrafirma bar before I handed it over, so have no idea how down deep the threaded section is.

Has anyone else fitted one and can confirm that the cross rod end should screw all the way into the bar? or is the bar just drilled and threaded to a certain depth?

Their solution is to fit a genuine bar on the steering draglink.
Post #916492 11th Aug 2021 3:13pm
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I've not experienced this issue personally but my solution would be to cut the first 10mm (or however much is required) off the ball joint thread to stop it bottoming out prematurely. Or cut half the required amount off both ball joints > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #916496 11th Aug 2021 4:10pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Fitted a heavy duty drag/track rods for a friend, but I do not know by which supplier. They fitted right away, did not need to chop anything.

I think it is normal to have a few threads exposed on the HD drag link as there will also be a locknut. That is different from the original LR drag link where it is slotted and clamped to fix in place (IIRC the original drag link has missing internal threads for the first 1/4” or so.

The drop arm side, or cross eye as it is called has an extra length where there is no thread. That could be the part that is bottoming out? But do not know its purpose. Search for ANR2858 for some pictures. You should ask how much thread is exposed. Goal is to have the same overall length, otherwise you get more steer to one side than the other.

The track bar should also be exact same overall length else you will get more toe in/out. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #916501 11th Aug 2021 5:01pm
Pacha

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
I have the same drag link - went on no problem. Rgds.

Chris
Post #916525 11th Aug 2021 7:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1