↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Td5 alarm question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Anderzander

United Kingdom 
Td5 alarm question
I would love some help with a fault on my alarm if anyone could please. It’s a 2001 Td5 - but a 2002 MY.

The alarm sounder started going off continuously - I went through a car wash and then parked up on a verge / side slope.

Whilst the sounder was going off - I could still drive, stop, lock and unlock the car with the fob or the key.

I disconnected the horn - but the sounder continued and the noise was coming from the same place - though there was no sign of anything other than a normal horn in there.

The only way I could stop it was to pull fuse 7 - and take a big sigh of relief.

After pulling the fuse I expected to be able to plug the horn back in and it work - but it doesn’t, and I guess that’s because everything goes through the alarm ECU, and fuse 7 has stopped that.

It still locks abs opens with the fob - but the indicators don’t flash, and as before - no horn.

Hot dry days have gone by since - but still the moment I put fuse 7 back in the sounder is on.

Can anyone tell me what’s happening?

I assume the alarm ECU must be part of the normal horn circuit?

I assume there must be another horn/sounder - otherwise unplugging the one I can see would have stopped it (there is no battery on it)? The wiring diagram seems to show a Lh and Rh horn but I can’t see anything else?

I did wonder if it was something like the bonnet switch - but the alarm isn’t coming on and immobilising the car - it’s just the noise.

Help please !?
Post #915960 7th Aug 2021 7:37pm
Anderzander

United Kingdom 
So - for anyone … this appears to have been down to the bonnet switch. Which had taken water in through a split boot and retained it (over weeks!) thus giving the earth path to the sensor.

So the alarm is all working - the horn not. I can now do some basic tests on the horn from an alternative 12v source and see if it’s just packed up with disconnecting it.
Post #916155 9th Aug 2021 8:18am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the update, always handy to know if the same situation arises.
Post #916173 9th Aug 2021 12:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1