Home > Off Topic > Look out for new labels at fuel pumps
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Look out for new labels at fuel pumps
https://knowyourfuel.campaign.gov.uk/

If you’ve filled up your car since the start of this month, you might have spotted that there have been some changes to the way petrol and diesel are labelled. The fuel itself hasn’t changed, but the way it’s described has.

While you’ll probably still see the terms “petrol” and “diesel” in use on the pumps and nozzles you use to refuel, you might have noticed a couple of differences since 1 September. You’ll now see petrol referred to as ‘E5’ in a circle, while diesel is now being referred to as ‘B7’ in a square. This new terminology will now also be present on the filler caps on brand new cars, and you’ll see it across Europe, not just in the UK.
Why the change?

The thinking behind the change of labels is to do with increasing the accuracy of petrol and diesel labelling, as the new labels depict the percentage of renewable fuel blended into these fossil fuels to help bring down CO2 emissions.

With strict targets to adhere to in the fight against climate change, petrol and diesel have, for over a decade, been mixed with a small quantity of fuel from renewable sources. Petrol is mixed with up to 5% ethanol, while diesel contains up to 7% biodiesel, without impacting the quality of the fuel.

So, you guessed it: E stands for ethanol, 5 for 5%; B stands for biodiesel, 7 for 7%. A circle is the symbol for petrol and a square for diesel. At the moment, those percentages are capped because higher percentages won’t work with all vehicles, but as renewable fuel content increases in the future we’ll likely start to see other percentages available, and the new labelling will reveal exactly what you’re buying (E10, for example).

It’s worth noting that if the filler cap in your new car says ‘E10’, you’ll still be able to use ‘E5’ petrol. What’s more, if you drive a diesel car and you’ve noticed that your filler cap says ‘no biodiesel’, don’t worry: all diesel cars will take B7. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #801019 6th Nov 2019 1:25pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I believe Morrisons were selling B30 a few years back. my understanding is they stopped due to change in tax incentives but suspect it may actually be a result of mechanical issues.
furthermore I understand all PSA engines were suitable for B30 but don't think this was widely advertised. ie the freelander 2.2 and 2.7 / 3.0 Disco 3/4.

my experience suggests most diesels will operate on B30 and beyond. the wifes golf says no bio but has run B100 for many miles.
Post #801023 6th Nov 2019 2:27pm
Tim in Scotland

In the owners handbook of my last 2x 3.6TDv8 RRs and FFRR there was a notice in very bold print advising not to use bio-diesel above a very tiny percentage content (8% IIRC). Those two cars were also the only cars I have owned that I only used branded diesel in rather than supermarket diesel. In both TDv8’s the engine ran way more quietly and smoothly with better consumption than when running on Sainsbury;s or Morrison’s diesel. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #801035 6th Nov 2019 3:56pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Thanks for that Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #801098 6th Nov 2019 9:05pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Does that now mean by filling with this my Defender is environmentally friendly Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #801101 6th Nov 2019 9:12pm
Nizza

1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Orkney Grey
Re: Look out for new labels at fuel pumps
Just revisiting this topic - what is everyone’s thoughts on the fact that from Sept, normal petrol pumps will now all be E10.

Anyone worried about their older engines? Planning on using an additive permanently or paying for ‘premium’ E95’ (or E98 if they’re still doing it)….?

Cheers

gilarion wrote:

If you’ve filled up your car since the start of this month, you might have spotted that there have been some changes to the way petrol and diesel are labelled. The fuel itself hasn’t changed, but the way it’s described has.

While you’ll probably still see the terms “petrol” and “diesel” in use on the pumps and nozzles you use to refuel, you might have noticed a couple of differences since 1 September. You’ll now see petrol referred to as ‘E5’ in a circle, while diesel is now being referred to as ‘B7’ in a square. This new terminology will now also be present on the filler caps on brand new cars, and you’ll see it across Europe, not just in the UK.
Why the change?

The thinking behind the change of labels is to do with increasing the accuracy of petrol and diesel labelling, as the new labels depict the percentage of renewable fuel blended into these fossil fuels to help bring down CO2 emissions.

With strict targets to adhere to in the fight against climate change, petrol and diesel have, for over a decade, been mixed with a small quantity of fuel from renewable sources. Petrol is mixed with up to 5% ethanol, while diesel contains up to 7% biodiesel, without impacting the quality of the fuel.

So, you guessed it: E stands for ethanol, 5 for 5%; B stands for biodiesel, 7 for 7%. A circle is the symbol for petrol and a square for diesel. At the moment, those percentages are capped because higher percentages won’t work with all vehicles, but as renewable fuel content increases in the future we’ll likely start to see other percentages available, and the new labelling will reveal exactly what you’re buying (E10, for example).

It’s worth noting that if the filler cap in your new car says ‘E10’, you’ll still be able to use ‘E5’ petrol. What’s more, if you drive a diesel car and you’ve noticed that your filler cap says ‘no biodiesel’, don’t worry: all diesel cars will take B7.
Post #915667 5th Aug 2021 7:02pm
Nizza

1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Orkney Grey
Re: Look out for new labels at fuel pumps
gilarion wrote:

Why the change?

It’s worth noting that if the filler cap in your new car says ‘E10’, you’ll still be able to use ‘E5’ petrol. What’s more, if you drive a diesel car and you’ve noticed that your filler cap says ‘no biodiesel’, don’t worry: all diesel cars will take B7.
Post #915668 5th Aug 2021 7:03pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Yes Caterham, you are correct, Morrisons were selling diesel fuel, I believe made out of rape seed, if I recall?

The Ford Focus I had at the time (as has been said by Tim in Scotland about his past vehicles) definitely said NO bio diesel.

I believe that this at present is just a change in petrol. My old Ford Focus 1.8 Petrol (2002) should run on it. I checked the government website. That's not to say it will Rolling with laughter The breakdown people will either be run off their feet or raking it in.

My mate repairs horticultural equipment. Something not thought about, but a lot of old grass cutters are not going to like E10. In cars, we are told to use super unleaded, but apparently older lawn mower / chain saw engines don't like running on that either.

Getting back to Caterhams comments, if I recall, the issue with Morrison's fuel was it came out at the same time as common rail diesels. I seem to remember that it was these modern diesels that disliked the bio-diesel rather than the older ones. So they advertise, McDonalds run their lorries on oil from their fryers. I guess they have found a way of filtering it and making it useable as all their lorries are modern and if the above was true, they would have all hit the hard shoulder by now?
Post #915670 5th Aug 2021 7:19pm
seriesonenut

United Kingdom 
Filled up with my first tank full of E10 yesterday. What surprised me was the price difference, £1.30 for E10 and £1.41 for the super. Cant help thinking we are being mugged again Whistle 2010 XS USW
1957 Series One 88 diesel
1958 Series One 88 4x2
Post #915671 5th Aug 2021 7:33pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
There has always been roughly that difference between 'regular' and 'super' petrol........

Its yet another nonsense......
Post #915674 5th Aug 2021 8:01pm
Gareth

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
I’ll be using normal unleaded in my Series 2a 2.25 petrol. If it’s E10, it might corrode things a bit quicker, but they will already have been degrading with the E5 we’ve been using for years.

The only fuel related issue my S2a has had in the past 3 years was a sunken plastic float in the carb! Probably was caused by ethanol in the petrol, but it was only £15 for a new plastic float! 2021 Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE D300 MHEV
1966 S2a 109 aka Betsy
1968 S2a 88 aka Bob
2014 Jaaaag F Type 3.0 Supercharged.
Post #915703 5th Aug 2021 10:32pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
90 Dreamer wrote:
There has always been roughly that difference between 'regular' and 'super' petrol........

Its yet another nonsense......

Yeah the super stuff is always 10p more, and you don't really gain anything at all, depending on the car.
The Dturbo Diesel 306 i had which was a mechanical pump, that seemed to like running on it, less smokey, and it drank a little less. The HDi its not bother at all, if its got Super or the regular, but that could be down to common rail. The rover metro was the same, the carbed loved it, but the vvc powered one, didn't care at all.
So i always put it down to the super stuff having some sort of cleaner in it, that's about it. Supermarket fuel Asdas crap, now that stuff is poor. That put one of the lasses cars in the garage that, She happened to see me, working on mine, and told me what the story was. It was the same trouble i had with the Dturbo and Carb metro, I said where are you filling it up from? she said here, I said try filling it up at the BP or shell. She did and the car ran spot on after that, she said i should bill this place! Cost her 500 quid in garage labour to be told nothing mechanically wrong with the car. Turns out asda poor quality of fuel, Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #915714 6th Aug 2021 12:06am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1