↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Mounting a USB extension inside Cubby
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
BIMbound

Mounting a USB extension inside Cubby
Has anyone got any neat ideas for installing a USB socket inside a Cubby box as an extension to the head unit in the dash?
This is to access apple car play etc with the phone tucked away out of sight, not keen on having it plugged into the outside of the cubby and then having the cable going back in via the lid.

https://www.mudstuff.co.uk/products/usb-ex...&_ss=r

Is the only option I can think of currently.

Thanks.
Post #914230 27th Jul 2021 10:48am
boxoftricks

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
Post #914242 27th Jul 2021 11:48am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Original link is what I have, use a strep drill bit on the RHS of the cubby box.

Be sure that no wires are in the way!
Also be sure that you don’t enlarge the hole too big - it is very very easy to do it.

When I did mine I drilled the plastic one size down from USB fit size then finished with a small round edge hand file for a perfect fit.

I got a USB 3.0 one off eBay, they are all pretty generic. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #914245 27th Jul 2021 11:56am
Smyles_

Denmark 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
Yeah it's a good idea. I plan to have a few USB sockets in my cubby too, both USB type A and type C for charging the newer electronics, difference being it will be fed from the battery.

Literally any USB extension will work as long as it is long enough. May also be worth checking the clearance to the back of your head unit where the USB slots in. I know on some it can be a tight fit so may be worth while trying to find one with a right angled male connector on the end? I'm sure others will tell me if I'm wrong about that but I know from installing the RCA cables on mine to the sub it was a really tight fit, although my setup will be completely different to yours!

Also might be worth checking if your USB port on the rear is USB 3.0 or greater as USB 3.0 can deliver nearly twice the amperage to a device than the older USB 2.0

I like MUD products and have several myself but I still have the mentality of a student and could not justify £20 on a 2 m USB 2.0 extension....

Just from searching the web for flush mount USB extension gave the following:
USB 3.0 Mount Cable 2M - Amazon £8.99 and prime eligible Stuart

Cummins 130 Build Thread
Instagram

04 110 Double Cab - Black (gone)
58 130 Double Cab HCPU - Cairns Blue
Post #914246 27th Jul 2021 11:57am
BIMbound

custom90steve wrote:
Original link is what I have, use a strep drill bit on the RHS of the cubby box.

Be sure that no wires are in the way!
Also be sure that you don’t enlarge the hole too big - it is very very easy to do it.

When I did mine I drilled the plastic one size down from USB fit size then finished with a small round edge hand file for a perfect fit.

I got a USB 3.0 one off eBay, they are all pretty generic.

Thanks, good tip re the drill. Especially in a new cubby....
Post #914254 27th Jul 2021 12:40pm
BIMbound

Smyles_ wrote:

Literally any USB extension will work as long as it is long enough. May also be worth checking the clearance to the back of your head unit where the USB slots in. I know on some it can be a tight fit so may be worth while trying to find one with a right angled male connector on the end? I'm sure others will tell me if I'm wrong about that but I know from installing the RCA cables on mine to the sub it was a really tight fit, although my setup will be completely different to yours!

Just from searching the web for flush mount USB extension gave the following:
USB 3.0 Mount Cable 2M - Amazon £8.99 and prime eligible

I've got a new Pioneer SPH-160DAB to install. It's mechless so a short body and the RCAs attach via a compact pigtail/flying lead so hopefully plenty of room.

I like the Amazon cable, I could probably make a small sheet meat box or bracket to house and fix it on the inside of the cubby floor
Post #914256 27th Jul 2021 12:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1