↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Getting started in fly fishing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Getting started in fly fishing
Where do I start?! Enjoy fishing and the outdoors in general but I’ve never fly fished and have no idea what equipment to start with, so can you recommend me a general purpose all round rod and reel set up? What to avoid and what company’s to go for?

Cheers
Col
Post #857070 20th Sep 2020 4:50pm
Race.it

Spain 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
See if you can locate a book by J R Hartley supposedly that was a good read. Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

5 months after starting the search I found it, and here is the details
Post #857097 20th Sep 2020 6:42pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
When we were kids, fly fishing involved catching blue bottles and sticking them to mums cactus

A clip round the ear was generally the reward.... Embarassed
Post #857098 20th Sep 2020 6:46pm
williamthedog

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Tamar Blue
Buy a fly fishing magazine and look at the complete kits available from various suppliers. Depending on where your going to fish as to what rating rod to get. River or reservoir /lake.
A good compromise is a #7or 8 weight rod.
If you progress you can get custom built rods as I have over the years. Thumbs Up
Post #857107 20th Sep 2020 7:30pm
Chopperone

United Kingdom 
Shame you are not in Derbyshire.....
I have a Lake & we teach fly fishing.
My strongest recommendation is find a good instructor & learn the correct way.He/She will then advise you on rods,lines & other things you need.
Guy May your life be like toilet paper ; long & useful.
Post #857121 20th Sep 2020 8:54pm
Doc P

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
What Guy said. It could be very frustrating without someone to point you in the right direction right at the start to get the basics sorted.

There are loads of good vids on YouTube once you’re a little more into it too. I’d recommend The New Fly Fisher (American but the skills are the same wherever you fish) and have a look at Hywel Morgan’s work for still waters and John Tyzack (the River Academy series by Fish On productions) for moving water - not fully instructive but give you a flavour of what it’s all about Thumbs Up
Post #857122 20th Sep 2020 9:07pm
chopcat

Wales 2000 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
You can do a lot of practice on dry land before getting anywhere near the water. Particularly as the season is over now. So time to get ready for next year.

Get a second hand rod and reel (they go in weight numbers and something like a 7 or 8 would be good to practice with).

Look at youtube for casting technique lessons and tie a bit of leader onto the main line and then a 1” bit of bright coloured wool to act as the fly

You can then hit the field and practice casting your bit of wool so that when you get near a fish next year you are ready. Practice being able to gently get the wool to land where you want. You will be surprised how quickly you get the idea.

TC
Post #857163 21st Sep 2020 8:08am
Harry.O

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi ST Nato Green
As a starting point and depending what type of water you are fishing, Orvis do a very reasonable 10ft 7 weight rod with a reel, a couple of spools and different types of line for sensible money.

As others have said, a couple of lessons then plenty of casting practise on an open piece of grass and you'll have the basics sorted. Thumbs Up 2005 Td5 110 Hardtop
1989 300Tdi 90 Soft top
1992 200Tdi 90 Truck cab with Land Cruiser axles
Post #857229 21st Sep 2020 4:11pm
mattc

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 2.5 TD HT Java Black
I run a fly fishing website as a hobby and review lots of gear. What you choose obviously depends mostly on where you intend to fish and what you intend to catch. A 9-10' 6 or 7 weight is ideal for stillwaters or reservoirs, while a 4-5 is preferable on most rivers.

I've written a few articles explaining this in more detail here:

http://flyandlure.org/articles/fly_fishing..._a_fly_rod
http://flyandlure.org/articles/fly_fishing...a_fly_reel
http://flyandlure.org/articles/fly_fishing...a_fly_line

There are some decent quality rods on the market these days. I'd avoid going with a really cheap option, but there are some very good mid-priced rods and kits on offer. The Loop Q is one of the best kits I've tested. It's nice and light, has a great reel, and importantly, a very good quality fly line. At the budget end of the market, the Shakespeare Agility rods are OK for the money.

http://flyandlure.org/articles/fly_fishing...rod_review
http://flyandlure.org/articles/fly_fishing...rod_review

Line wise, you can't go wrong with a Barrio Mallard. They're excellent value for money. I completely agree with what the others have said on lessons. It's hard to get rid of bad habits and a couple of lessons from an instructor make a massive difference.
Post #857231 21st Sep 2020 4:22pm
Co1

markb110 wrote:
When we were kids, fly fishing involved catching blue bottles and sticking them to mums cactus

A clip round the ear was generally the reward.... Embarassed

Rolling with laughter
Post #857239 21st Sep 2020 5:11pm
Co1

Excellent all, much appreciate. The majority will be on small rivers for grayling and brownies up in Yorkshire.
Post #857240 21st Sep 2020 5:15pm
VVS210

United Kingdom 
We have a lovely little fly fishing venue near us, no good for you as it's the other end of the country, they do taster sessions with loan rods, tuition, etc. & have a shop where they sell what you need not what the adverts in glossy magazines make you think you have to have.

I'd suggest that you spend a bit of time on the internet & see if you can find something similar near you. This is the one local to me to give you a flavour of the sort of place I'm talking about https://www.meonsprings.com/fishing.html

Good luck & you'll enjoy it once you get into it.
Post #857272 21st Sep 2020 8:23pm
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
"... they do taster sessions with loan rods, tuition, etc."

Yup, that's the way to do it, and should you join the club at that level not too expensive at all.

Of course, if you want the bragging rights of being able to say "Oh, last weekend in Scotland I had Sting on one side of me and Bono on t'other"...

Peter
Post #857648 23rd Sep 2020 4:01pm
CharlieDonuts

France 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Galway Green
Fly fishing takes practice. My best advice is to find the nearest river and learn there. Don`t worry about catching trout as nearly every european river hold roach and roach will take a dry fly. Start with dry fly fishing as being able to see your fly and when you can see your fly you can hone your casting and your drifting skills. I fish for roach on the river that runs through the center of my town 5 minutes from my house. When I hit the trout streams I have perfectly honed my skills before I have even got there.

Last edited by CharlieDonuts on 1st Jul 2021 7:14pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #910261 1st Jul 2021 10:38am
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Really you want an approved instruction. There’s an awful lot of bad habit casters, and an awful lot of experts! It’s a bit like golf, all the gear but no idea Rolling with laughter but I’d rracomend a taster somewhere first before you buy anything. I’m no river angler but love my dry fly fishing, to me it’s the ultimate con, spotting the fish and casting at it. Start with a soft middle action rod, you need to feel it load to get the correct timing. They tend to be on the cheaper side, on rivers you’ll probably need a couple of rods eventually to cover the different type of fishing methods. Is there a local club?? Or just take a walk a d see if there’s someone to accost? Eat some humble pie and I’m sure they’ll point you in the right direction. Another option is to try the local tackle shop. I have a few good friends who might know someone near you. Where are you based roughly??
Post #910266 1st Jul 2021 11:38am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>