↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Is the defender mechanically Better than a Range Rover Sport
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
IRBails

Australia 
Is the defender mechanically Better than a Range Rover Sport
I am really taken by the Defender, thinking it will be my next vehicle after all the Beta Testers have done their work.

I am however trying to find what the engineering advantages of the Defender might be? I own SDV 8 2016 Range Rover sport , and at present can't seem to find any engineering advantages?
Post #907500 12th Jun 2021 3:18am
zilch

Australia 
According to some of the literature the Defender allegedly has larger and stronger
underpinnings, such as ball joints bushes etc, also compared to our L320 RRS, the other
difference is the Deffa also has a twin airbag system on each corner rather than a singular,
not sure if this also featured on the later 494 RRS, yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #907508 12th Jun 2021 7:39am
Dave T

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Cairns Blue
Having driven a new defender, personally I would find it quite a hard swap from a RRS. 2015 RRS Autobiography SDV6
1994 Def 90 300tdi
Post #907556 12th Jun 2021 3:50pm
Tim in Scotland

Especially going from any RRS with the Dynamic setting in the TR, Defender can put on a good FFRR roll impression when you start to push it on the twisty bits. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #907569 12th Jun 2021 8:01pm
100inch

Australia 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black
Dave T wrote:
Having driven a new defender, personally I would find it quite a hard swap from a RRS.

Interesting! What differences did you mainly notice? I got an 2018 Dynamic Sport and actually looking forward to swap against a new Defender. Yes, I expect more road noise and less ride comfort. Have to admit, the Sport is a fantastic do-it-all car so time will tell where the New Defender falls short of it. m
Post #907591 13th Jun 2021 2:27am
GreenMonster

United States 
What’s your intended use? If you are more concerned about roll and handling on high speed twisties, then sure, stick with the RRS. If you want to do anything truly off road where angles, more robust construction, clearance, more utilitarian interior etc will matter, then you’ll be a lot happier in the Defender.
Post #907595 13th Jun 2021 4:03am
IRBails

Australia 
Some good info here. I am after a tow vehicle and also want the updates. There are no really compelling issues, I have the SVD 8 which has all the Dynamic handling bits. I was just wondering if more features were added?
Post #907722 14th Jun 2021 6:10am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1