↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > To waxoyl, or not to waxoyl . . .
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Merlin

United Kingdom 
Hi Greenmachine,

I took it to Davro Motor Services in Peterborough. They used Dinitrol 3125 cavity wax and Dinitrol 4941 underbody wax. Cost £440 in 2007. No drips or splashes. Probably why they wanted it for a week, unless they towed in cars with it! BTW, Dinitrol can be removed by aggressive greenlaning.

Merlin
Thumbs Up
Post #57096 6th Feb 2011 12:10pm
Anderzander

United Kingdom 
yobbie wrote:
I will try Rustmasters next time.

I plan to try them.
Post #57891 9th Feb 2011 2:01am
alanhid

Scotland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
has anyone used the aerosol cans of waxoyl you can get and if so are they any good. Had a look under mine at the weekend at there is a couple of small bits needing touched up........thought they might do the trick. Life is not a rehearsal!
Def 90td5 CSW xs 2006
Post #58024 9th Feb 2011 3:06pm
Double Trigger

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
According to another forum the nozzle on the aerosol cans tends to clog up frequently during use. Based on that I used the Hammerite with waxoyl in a tin version which you apply with a stiffish brush.It's pretty solid and wax like, goes on easily even in to tight cracks. I treated a Series 3 this week in under 3 hours for the whole of the underneath. The product seems really good and doesn't drip everywhere, I'd recommend it.
Post #58054 9th Feb 2011 6:04pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Last bloke I know tried them and threw them in the bin - did not work, just what I heard but may not have used them correctly. I can see how they might be tricky to use if they have the "original" Waxoyl in them. Don't forget the "original" stuff is only an inhibitor so treat the rust first if it is practical and it may need re-applying every two years as stated on the can if doing it yourself. Acid based rust strippers or converters are the way to go if it is practical to use them. Also as said, don't trap rust underneath a product if you can help it, it may look tidy but it is all rotting away underneath and you won't be able to keep a check on it.

Really suggest looking at the Dinitrol & Shultz products spoken about here as well as new products such as POR-15 They are used by professional restorers and some in the car manufacturing industry. POR-15 is a real breakthrough product from America, it's quite unbelievable stuff, as said flexible and can not be chipped with a hammer. I have it on my flexing parabolics! It does however need protecting from UV light with a layer of Chassis Black or equivalent. You have to use a scoop provided to get the stuff out of the can, because if it touches the rim it will be sealed for life - yes I did this and had to chop the top of the can off Big Cry It's not cheap!

Some products although better known are not necessarily better. For example If you wanted something to ease off a stiff nut most would go into Halfords and buy a can of WD40 instead of Plus Gas!!!

I hope this helps, I try to only give advice if I am confident I really do know the answers and have experienced first hand the products being discussed! I'm not interested in winning an argument for argument's sake. I would rather get the correct advice across to the OP. People will lose confidence in the forum if incorrect or inaccurate advice is given. This topic seems continual on some classic car forums so it might be worth a look at one of those also Thumbs Up

Right can lighten up now, where's my beer Rolling with laughter

Last edited by Zagato on 9th Feb 2011 6:17pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #58056 9th Feb 2011 6:06pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Anderzander wrote:
yobbie wrote:
I will try Rustmasters next time.

I plan to try them.

or locally, go to crook brothers in PR5 - £160 for the whole thing including chassis injection etc Thumbs Up
Post #58060 9th Feb 2011 6:13pm
Anderzander

United Kingdom 
BigMike wrote:

or locally, go to crook brothers in PR5 - £160 for the whole thing including chassis injection etc Thumbs Up

That's cheap! I thought they just sold ex MOD stuff.

Did that include doing inside the doors and bulkhead too?
Post #58064 9th Feb 2011 6:37pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
No they do all sorts

They didn't do my doors I dont think. Give Graeme a ring, tell him you know me
Post #58067 9th Feb 2011 6:47pm
Anderzander

United Kingdom 
Thank you big Mike.

Hopefully I will get to know you out on the lanes and then I'll give a ring when the weather warms up a bit.

Stephen
Post #58526 11th Feb 2011 7:18pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Might bump into you tomorrow Thumbs Up

We're starting on the west coast and going from there
Post #58527 11th Feb 2011 7:20pm
alanhid

Scotland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
My underside was waxoyled a couple of years ago by the previous owner and still looks good, however reading the receipt I dont think the internal sections were done. Im going to do this myself this summer so anyone got any tips on cleaning the hollow chassis sections.........or is it as straightforward as getting a power washer in there and doing your best Idea Life is not a rehearsal!
Def 90td5 CSW xs 2006
Post #70413 10th May 2011 4:34pm
funrover

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
alanhid wrote:
My underside was waxoyled a couple of years ago by the previous owner and still looks good, however reading the receipt I dont think the internal sections were done. Im going to do this myself this summer so anyone got any tips on cleaning the hollow chassis sections.........or is it as straightforward as getting a power washer in there and doing your best Idea

Run water through it with the pressure washer till it runs out clean. Park on a slope for it all to run to one end and keep repeating, then just leave it to dry for a few days. Editor of FunRover - One blog. Read it!
Land Rover rebuild video series here:
Post #71852 20th May 2011 7:34pm
Yorkshire90

United Kingdom 
Re: To waxoyl, or not to waxoyl . . .
Had mine done professionally...don't think the missus would like Waxoyl all over the drive... was around £250 for the job done and a top up a year later...

Had the inner doors, bulkhead, chassis and rear crossmember done...

Here's a few before and after pics... not by Before and After though if you avoid the pun.. JR Classics in Yorkshire

I found it smelled a bit inside the cab for a while after but it's worth it to see your landy looking like new Smile [/url]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #90723 22nd Sep 2011 11:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123