↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Anyone running or had an Outlander phev?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Anyone running or had an Outlander phev?
As per the title. Does anyone have any experience with the Outlander phev?

I realise it is a soft roader and the AWD system will probably only help in snow and wet conditions so definitely not a Defender. But what about the reliability?

There are some amazing deals to be had at the moment with Mitsubishi exiting the UK market and I am about to press the button on an online order directly with Mitsubishi for a low mileage used vehicle.

The claimed real life range on electric at around 28 miles will cover most of my journeys now I am retired and no worries about running out of juice on longer runs as the engine is there as well. Even if it only does 20 to 25 miles it will cover our local trips to the shops etc.

I know they are a bit long in the tooth now and look dated compared the the latest range of phev's but that doesn't bother me.

With 4 1/2 years of warranty remaining ( 7 1/2 years on the battery) and a cheap 3 year service plan I'm thinking it has to be a reasonable bet and a good entry into the hybrid/electric future!

Thoughts and experience?
Post #906936 8th Jun 2021 6:44pm
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
I have one, now well into second year of ownership from new.
Only problem experienced was the front number plate falling off in second month Laughing

Get just over 28 miles on electric in summer, less in winter as battery not as efficient but still over 20 miles.
Drives well, and quite speedy for it’s size if you want.
Takes 5 hours to recharge on a normal 13 amp socket.

No leaks, rattles, rust or software problems. Pretty boring compared to Defender Whistle

App allows you to preheat or cool the cabin before you set off, or set charging time if you are on cheap tariff overnight.
Post #906944 8th Jun 2021 8:06pm
lohr500

Thanks for the info Balvaig.
I have ordered one online. Due for delivery in early July.
We have Economy 7 so I will use the timer facility to charge the battery overnight. I don't think I am going to bother with a higher output wall charger. If it charges in 5 hours or so from a 13 amp socket, that will be fine for me.
I'm going to take the option of the three year service plan as well because I think this will be more cost effective than paying for three separate services over the years.
Post #906999 9th Jun 2021 6:59am
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
Like you most of my journeys are local. The 13 amp domestic charger came with the car. Couldn't justify the cost of the wall charger and extra charger cable for faster charging, given that a full charge is 5 hours. I just use the petrol engine for the few longer journeys.
You need to drive the car differently to get the best out of electric drive. Braking is surreal as electric regeneration cuts in first, and you can almost stop without using the brakes.

Hope you enjoy the car. I have no regrets. Mitsubishi seem to have sorted the early problems out over the 5 years of production, which is why I went for the slightly older technology.
Post #907001 9th Jun 2021 7:23am
lohr500

Looking forward to it.
My thinking is the same as yours. They have had plenty of time to iron out any early problems, which is more than can be said for the Jeep Wrangler I am trading in. But that's another story Crying or Very sad
Post #907002 9th Jun 2021 7:27am
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
I have a pre phev outlander which is the same age and mileage as the defender and is worlds apart in build and reliability.

If the Phev’s are built the same, then it’ll be a good truck
Post #907015 9th Jun 2021 8:42am
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
Had one for 6years. Great car but a tad boring. Boot a little small for the two dogs. Servicing becomes expensive after year 3. Year 5 onwards requires an annual value check @£££. Paid £932 last year for the service, MOT and new boots on the front structs

Toyed with replacing the PHEV with a Defender PHEV but went with the P400 instead.

Two things went wrong. Boot lock and sticking front caliper. Sorted under warranty, including new discs and pads on the front.

33500 miles in 6years and around 10.5mwh of electricity
Post #907017 9th Jun 2021 9:02am
J77

Scotland 
My old man was given a commercial version by his work, they found it useless for their needs. Nice to drive but range in the winter was pretty poor, in the summer wasn’t that much better and the petrol engine gutsy. But if it suits your lifestyle then it’s a good buy. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #907031 9th Jun 2021 10:55am
lohr500

@pjm-84. Agree, it is a bit boring. But for the price, I can live with it.
What is the annual value check all about after 5 years?
The three year service plan is £575, so that should cover all my servicing costs up to November 2023.
A Defender phev is unfortunately outside of my budget.

@J77, I can imagine it wouldn't be practical as a works vehicle as the electric only range is fairly restrictive. But for the local journeys I do, it will hopefully be able to run on electric most of the time. And no worries over range anxiety with the petrol engine as well. I'm doing less than 5000 miles a year now I am retired, with very few long distance runs.

@Badger, I'm hoping reliability will be good. They have been selling them for a number of years so they should have sorted out any gremlins. And if they are built anything like the old Shoguns, they should be pretty robust. We've run MOT failure Shoguns at our sailing club for towing dinghies around and they are pretty bombproof other than the rear callipers which seize up from repeated dunking in the reservoir and never going on a good run to work them hard.
Post #907033 9th Jun 2021 11:23am
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
18 to 27miles on electric. 37 to 45mpg on a flat battery. Actually managed a 25mile trip at 54mpg on a flat battery (50mph motorway limit). Mine was a MY2016 so pre button option (i.e the ICE would cut in when demanding heat to clear the screen)

3yrs service plan = bargain.

No hydraulic valves so annual valve check at year 5 onwards. Year 8 - Big service @ £1400. CVT takes a little getting use to.
Post #907041 9th Jun 2021 12:52pm
lohr500

Thumbs Up
Shame it doesn't have hydraulic tappets though. If I still have the car, I might need to dust down my feeler gauges once the warranty runs out.
Probably a bit more complicated than checking the clearances on the old 2 1/4 Landie engine!
Post #907043 9th Jun 2021 12:59pm
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
Actually scrub all that because they changed the petrol engine a few years back ..... this relates to the old 2.0l
Post #907047 9th Jun 2021 1:20pm
lohr500

Did some googling and even the new 4B12 2.4 engine needs a valve clearance check at 6 & 12 years, or 90k / 180k km according to one service schedule I found. Not sure if the UK schedule will have the same requirements. Workshop manual would suggest that checking the clearance isn't too complicated. Only a pain if the tappets need changing for different thicknesses, at which point the cams have to be removed. Still, no cambelt to worry about Thumbs Up
Post #907049 9th Jun 2021 1:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1