↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > INEOS Grenadier > Grenadier, a few stats - to be €55k with a few option.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
JLR absolutely did not lose money on Defender sales, that's just a silly rumour thats been going about enthusiast circles for years.
When I did the Defender celebration tour the guide told us each Defender cost £10k-£12k to build, with sale prices starting at around £20k, so they were making at least £10k per unit, and much more on the various limited editions. I would expect fleet orders would have been sold with a per-vehicle discount.

What's probably getting confused/conflated is that it's a much lower margin, as they could build a Disco 5 for £14k and sell it for £50k+. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #904270 21st May 2021 11:08am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Seriously!!! They make this much profit on each vehicle? Shocked Now left.
Post #904394 22nd May 2021 8:06am
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
would suspect that doesn't take into account factory, staff costs, etc...........??
Post #904395 22nd May 2021 8:10am
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
I read last week that VW's per vehicle profit is just shy of of £300.

EDIT:
Toyota make just £3,750 on each car (on average) and BMW make £2,272. VW make just £298!!! The actual profit margin for the average car company as a whole appears to come out at just 7.5%. Now left.
Post #904397 22nd May 2021 8:13am
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
'the guide told us each Defender cost £10k-£12k to build'

He works down the chip shop now..........swears he's Elvis!

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #904399 22nd May 2021 8:19am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
22900013A wrote:
JLR absolutely did not lose money on Defender sales, that's just a silly rumour thats been going about enthusiast circles for years.
When I did the Defender celebration tour the guide told us each Defender cost £10k-£12k to build, with sale prices starting at around £20k, so they were making at least £10k per unit, and much more on the various limited editions. I would expect fleet orders would have been sold with a per-vehicle discount.

What's probably getting confused/conflated is that it's a much lower margin, as they could build a Disco 5 for £14k and sell it for £50k+.

Did the build cost mean only the physical manufacturing cost or the global cost at point of purchase? Because if the former, on top of the 'build' you would have to factor in marketing costs, general plant/factory costs, delivery costs, LR concession running costs, dealer mark up etc. I've no idea what they'd amount to in terms of the Defender model, but total costs are clearly creeping much closer to the final sale price. Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #904506 23rd May 2021 5:55am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
bigjuicyhog wrote:
ResGuy68, does the chicken tax apply to SUVs? I googled it but couldn't find a definitive answer. I would have thought it wouldn't apply as long as the SUV has 4 passenger doors. It looks like lots of 4 door SUVs are made abroad and sold in the US. Just given their prices, I can't imagine they incur the 25% tax. Then again, I have no knowledge base from which to work.

Interesting to read the Ford are in trouble by trying a ruse to get around the tax:

"WASHINGTON (Reuters) -Ford Motor Co said Thursday it could face up to $1.3 billion in penalties in a long-running dispute over import duties paid on Ford Transit Connect vehicles.

The No. 2 U.S. automaker said after the Supreme Court declined to hear its appeal in 2020 that it paid increased duties for some prior imports, plus interest. U.S Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is now seeking additional duties of $181 million and is considering seeking a monetary penalty of "as much as $652 million to $1.3 billion," Ford said. The automaker added that it would vigorously defend its actions and noted any penalty "would be based on our level of culpability as determined by the courts."

CBP ruled in 2013 that Transit Connects imported as passenger wagons and later converted into cargo vans were subject to the 25% duty applicable to cargo vehicles, rather than the 2.5% passenger vehicle duty.

The vans were assembled in Turkey.

The Justice Department said Ford "designed, marketed, sold, and delivered the van to consumers exclusively as a two-person cargo van. But to avoid the higher rate of duty that applies to cargo vans as compared to vans principally designed for passenger transport, petitioner imported each Transit Connect ... with a temporary, cheap rear seat that was designed to be immediately removed as soon as the van cleared" Customs.

The government noted the seats lacked head restraints and "was upholstered with cost-reduced fabric that did not match that of the front seats."

Ford argued the rear passenger seat met all federal safety standards, had seat belts for every seating position, and anchors for the rear seats and seat belts and were "street-legal passenger vehicles."

The 25% tariff stems from a 1960s trade war involving frozen chicken, and the larger tariff on cargo vehicles is known as the "chicken tax."

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/ford-says...09831.html
Post #906410 4th Jun 2021 5:19am
ResGuy68

United States 
Very interesting to see that the "chicken tax" applies to trucks and 2-door Van/SUVs but not 4-door variants.

Certainly encouraging for Grenadier pricing in the US. I'm happy to have been wrong on this one.

As an aside, the EPA just released their MPG figures for the Ford Bronco. Most models are running in the 17-19 mpg range (note that the "Bronco Sport" is a different vehicle). I'd imagine that the Grenadier is going to come-in a bit better than this, particularly with their diesel offering.

Link: https://fueleconomy.gov/feg/PowerSearch.do...owLimit=50
Post #906474 4th Jun 2021 3:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12