↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > How to change Vacuum pump gasket?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
LRpuma_bax

Australia 
How to change Vacuum pump gasket?
Hey guys,

I have searched the forum and I’m sure someone has asked this but I can’t find it anywhere.

What are the steps to change the vacuum pump gasket?
Is it as simple as unbolt the pump and put the new gasket in and bolt back on?

Do I have to drain the engine Oli first? Do I have to relieve tension on the belt first?

Anything else I should know?

Cheers,
Post #906296 3rd Jun 2021 10:09am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
You'll need to remove the serpentine belt first, but then it really is as simple as you say - remove pump, remove gasket, refit pump with new gasket, replace belt.

No need to drain the engine oil.
Post #906297 3rd Jun 2021 10:12am
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
What year? Vac pump is on the front pre 2012 and rear post 2012. If it’s post, you need to remove the ecu to get the pump out.
Post #906337 3rd Jun 2021 4:42pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Just spotted you ask if the belt needs removing, so assume yours is on the front.
Post #906339 3rd Jun 2021 4:43pm
LRpuma_bax

Australia 
blackwolf wrote:
You'll need to remove the serpentine belt first, but then it really is as simple as you say - remove pump, remove gasket, refit pump with new gasket, replace belt.

No need to drain the engine oil.

Thanks Blackwolf. You were the exact person I was hoping would answer here.

What’s involved with removing the belt?
Post #906408 4th Jun 2021 1:38am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
If I was doing the job, I would remove the upper fan shroud (four fasteners), remove the fan (needs a fan hub spanner), then slip a sheet of cardboard behind the radiator to protect it from tool-slips and to protect your knuckles from the radiator, then the belt can be removed by slackening the tensioner (use a ratchet handle and short extension in the square hole provided for the purpose in the tensioner arm, I can't remember if it is 3/8" or 1/2" square though). It is almost easier to do than to describe.

Then the pump can be removed. The only issue sometimes with the pump is disconnecting the vacuum pipe from the back, this has a collar round the pipe, and usually fiddling with the collar in a random way will eventually result in the pipe coming free.

You can do it without removing the fan, but you have to get the tool to slacken the belt between the fan blades and the fan is so easy to remove that it is quicker and much less frustrating just to remove it. If it is your first time removing the belt it might be worth noting its route round the pulleys before taking it off.

Overall it really isn't a difficult job.
Post #906421 4th Jun 2021 7:34am
LRpuma_bax

Australia 
If only I could send you virtual beer! You are a legend. I’m going to have a crack tomorrow so I’m feeling much more educated on the job. Fingers crossed it is the only thing that’s leaking oil.

Cheers
Post #906447 4th Jun 2021 11:09am
LRpuma_bax

Australia 
I changed out the pump and the gasket last week. Was pretty straight forward. Just pulling the collar towards the pump and the hose away from the pump seemed to do the trick and as you said was the only tricky part. I didn’t remove the fan. My 3/8 ratchet with an extension through the fan blade did the trick fine to loosen the belt.

Only downside, I’m still leaking oil. I don’t know if it’s the new vacuum pump and gasket or if it’s something else right next to it but I’ve still got oil shooting up on the underside of the bonnet. Real bummer. Any ideas of what to change next?
Post #909915 29th Jun 2021 7:49am
AndyS

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
They seem to leak oil from everywhere but if it's up under the bonnet is it hitting the fan/serpentine belt? If yes then it could be coming out of the fuel pump cover meaning your engine block is over pressure or that top turbo hose could be split and spraying engine gasses (with oil) when under boost.

Really, you need to thoroughly clean the engine with gunk and a hosepipe then take it on a short trip and look where the oil is coming from. On my one it was leaking from all those places and still leaks from somewhere.
Post #909995 29th Jun 2021 3:08pm
LRpuma_bax

Australia 
Yeah it’s definitely hitting the belt and being flung into the bonnet. I previously did a full clean of the engine bay so that I could isolate it. It’s hard to tell becuase it pools everywhere and looked like the vacuum pump so first I did the gasket. Then the oil was still appearing. So did the job again and replaced the pump. Now I’ve bought a water pump but I will check those other two issue above. I’m starting to think there’s a head gasket issue and injector seal issue as under load on hills in 6th it over heats and loses coolant.
Post #910096 30th Jun 2021 8:16am
MattyEssex

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Indus Silver
Just thought I'd follow up on this to see if you managed to find out where the leak was coming from. Mine has started leaking a lot of oil and trying to find out where from. I am going to clean it all up and then start fresh.

Annoying as Engine was rebuilt a short while ago but not close by so need to identify myself.
Post #937291 12th Jan 2022 1:57am
LRpuma_bax

Australia 
After changing the water pump and vacuum pump + gasket upgraded to the improved version that is thicker and not just a thin piece of plastic it definitely leaks less. But I’m still chasing oil leaks. The lower engine bay and chassis gets covered in oil and it’s still finding it’s way on to the serpentine belt so I am going to have a look at inspecting the front engine manifold area and turbo hose as mentioned above. Just haven’t got to it yet.
Post #937795 15th Jan 2022 4:44am
custom90

United Kingdom 
As Blackwolf said, there is figures for the torque of those fixings in the WSM somewhere which you can find online.
The serpentine belt isn’t much trouble to whip off and back on again.

Don’t remove the pipe attached to it, it’s flexible enough to bend so you can replace the gasket.
Just wipe the mating surface with a paper towel if a bit of oil gets there.

Job done.

I’d suggest discounting the battery when removing and replacing the serpentine belt too, if you’ve done over 50k on said belt then it may pay to replace it anyway as they aren’t over expensive and are typically changed every 50k. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #937876 15th Jan 2022 7:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1