↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Blue Beastie
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
balmybaldwin

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Buckingham Blue
Thanks. I did check the main fuse box, but didnt think to check back of the unit. Will have a look in a mo as I need to put dash back on tonight anyway.

an Update on the mysterious leak as it has rained gently most of the day... I have a new puddle thats covering the bottom of an icecream tub I stuck under the pedals

I think It's coming from the Windscreen "Hinge" on the drivers side, but I'm also suspicious of the gasket under the windscreen frame:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Frm what I've read the Gasket is actually quite easy (5bolts top of screen, 3 either side to pull the w/s frame away without having to remove the roof (?) then presumably clean, replace seals etc)
Post #900403 28th Apr 2021 6:22pm
balmybaldwin

Also, in that second pic should the wiring loom you can just see under the windscreen side trim actually be running through the 2 metal guides you can see at the bottom of the trim?
Post #900404 28th Apr 2021 6:25pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
i would start with the hinges/ blocks 1st, Those are one of the areas these leak from, check the window screen seal too, if that's seen better days, then that will cause trouble too.
Wiring loom is ok where it is Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #900465 29th Apr 2021 6:02am
balmybaldwin

So a quick update:

Windscreen Hinges removed cleaned up, Gaskets replaced, and all put back, and so far I have a 99% reduction in water ingress. I still have a tiny bit that turns up on the drivers floor, but it's not from the hinges and I can't quite work out where it's dripping from yet. Much better tho and current leak hardly worth bothering about (except to ensure it' snot causing issues elsewhere)

I have also fitted a high level rear brake light today. A bit fiddly threading the rubber gaitor with new wires, but pretty easy overall, and a nice result.

As a bonus while I had the door card off had a fiddle and a squirt of wd40 with the central locking solenoid, and it is now unlocking as well as locking the back door (yay!).

At the other end I've had the MAF sensor out and cleaned it. tested voltage and confirmed all good, and now have a bit more performance.

I am however suspicious that my Swivel bearing on the nearside needs replacing due to the amount of noise I'm getting at 65 MPH. Got some grease on order to see if it helps, but suspect I might have to tackle my first biggish job soon
Post #902944 13th May 2021 10:23pm
L110CDL

England 
Great work your doing there sorting out the problems and winning Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #903100 14th May 2021 8:52pm
balmybaldwin

Thanks, finding it rewarding.

Today we had our first little off road excursion down "Sandy Lane" in Milford. barely half a mile long, and nothing more than a bumpy, muddy gravel track round the back of a few house, but fun non the less.

Had a nice surprise when we got home.... Monty's new travel box has arrived from china 2 weeks early. Nice and solid, and will eventually be mounted on a shelf on the wheel arches so he can see out better. (going to remove rear seats I think and make it a bit more "Utility").

Click image to enlarge
Post #903122 14th May 2021 10:39pm
L110CDL

England 
A good day all round for you Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #903127 14th May 2021 10:46pm
balmybaldwin

So today was all about the dog.

Rear Bench seats out (for sale if anyone wants them)

Big Dog guard removed (also for sale)

New "shelf" platform added so Monty can see out again, and loads more storage for his bits (and mine)

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

While I was at it I found a solution for where to put my Ardsafe to keep the pedal lock secure - Bolted to the back of Monty's cage (which is in turn securely bolted to the shelf).

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #905639 29th May 2021 7:24pm
L110CDL

England 
Nicely moving forward there for Monty and a good idea for your Ardsafe storage Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #906024 1st Jun 2021 8:51pm
balmybaldwin

So for what seems like the last 4 weeks I've been wrestling with my tow bar.

Basically I want to fit a bike carrier, so I have to fit an extender to clear the rear wheel.

Initial attempt broke a socket.

Happened across a nice chap with an impact wrench who recognised my Landy as one he worked on in prep for the sales outfit I bought it from. Apart from giving me a bit more insight into its history (nothing worrying), he also spent a good half hour trying to get the bolts moving for me.... he did, but nuts moving too. And despite trying we couldn't get the nuts to shift on the bolts

So I went home and soaked it in WD40 every day for a week, and then some paint stripper on the bolts.

Got my breaker bar out and promptly broke another socket. Big Cry

Asked a mate what he would try short of angle grinding (which I was contemplating but as far as I could tell in order to see what I'm doing would involve putting my head in a shower of sparks). He suggested nut splitters, so I duely ordered a set that would fit.

Broke both of them... but I got the Censored off! Probably the hardest workout I've had in years tho Thumbs Up

And returned the nut splitter as not fit for purpose for a full refund (thank you Amazon)

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #909212 23rd Jun 2021 11:16pm
balmybaldwin

So onwards and upwards...

Got my bike carrier on, and clearances are all good (just)

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

So I hook up the electrics to test it... nothing.

Put a multimeter on the electrics with hazards on and I'm getting 12v pulses as I expect, so not sure what issue is... something to keep me busy the rest of the week I guess.

Oh, and my drivers door suddenly wont shut without being lifted. looks like it's dropped too low, so got replacement hinges on the way
Post #909214 23rd Jun 2021 11:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12