↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Bye bye plastidip, you've done a sterling job!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Bye bye plastidip, you've done a sterling job!
Well, after 5 years of what has to be said utterly sterling work protecting the paint from every bush in our local lanes, most of the Pyrenees, and other assorted assaults.... Finally decided the dip must go. I want to polish it. And whilst the dip was doing its job, it does look terrible once scratched itself.

We sprayed 5 coats of clear dip on all the paint before we started travelling in our 110 and my brother (joe-130)'s 130. Cost was about £150 a vehicle including their HVLP sprayer.

Honestly... Best £150 I've ever spent. The paints like new underneath.

If you can stomach the poor appearance but want to do a trip you know will ruin your paint... Go for it. Well worthwhile. Just peel it off when you get back.

I am now however looking for something more temporary so we can protect it for a weekend then peel off. Appearance in use not relevant. So thinking about carpet protector roll. Worth a shot at £25 a massive roll I reckon.

Click image to enlarge

I'm still going so I'll do an after shot when I've peeled it all off!
Post #905630 29th May 2021 5:58pm
I Like Old Skool

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi ST Coniston Green
Can't be very environmentally friendly, especially on weekend by weekend basis?
Post #905659 29th May 2021 9:21pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Once a month maybe. I don't go Laning that often. And even then normally pick routes that aren't too scratchy. Add to that the roof doesn't need doing because the rack protects it, so now you're down to maybe 10m of the stuff to do the majority of the big panels on a 110. There's probably more plastic in one of the bottles we all buy our detergent in that say "not currently recycled" surreptitiously on the side of them....

I'd prefer 3m or Xpel self healing wrap. That's much more green. Wander round it with a hair dryer once a month and its brand new again. But it's also 3 grand installed..... As all the installers say they've no patterns for a defender.

Fairly obvious why...

Saw the carpet protector being used on a disco 3 once to good effect. Looked utterly ridiculous when he arrived at the Laning day but after 10 minutes it was smothered in mud and invisible anyway, and at the end of the day he peeled it off and saved himself a 2 grand respray.

Seemed a good thing to try. I use the stuff on carpets all the time. Quite stretchy.

I'm open to other ideas though.
Post #905661 29th May 2021 9:35pm
Chugga90

The adhesive on the floor protection product can be an utter pest to clean off!
We had a very expensive bath arrive with nothing protecting it once unboxed.
To get it to its new location, we wrapped up with this type of product. Which did a perfect job of protecting the bath. However it took a day of cleaning to remove all of the adhesive marks it left!
You thought you were done and then next time you look more of it.
Post #905696 30th May 2021 9:09am
Matt110

United Kingdom 
That's a good point. Especially on paintwork in the sun. Might be a disaster. I might cut a 5cm square and pop it somewhere unobtrusive to see how it comes off after 3-4 days in the sun.

Thanks.
Post #905697 30th May 2021 9:31am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1