Home > General & Technical (L663) > Driving your Defender 110 at Speed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Simon Audi wrote:
Thanks all

Car went into the dealer Wednesday for multiple things... 2 of which occurred on the drive to the dealer.

I asked him to look at the slight pulsing too

But he was doubtful they would find anything as they are not allowed to drive above the speed limit.

Hope to get it back tomorrow?

Issues

1. Front L&R wheel Arch extensions not bonded correctly - big gaps appear when warm (10mm gap for like 75mm of trim)
2. Rear Number Plate - delaminating - water inside
3. Diff Display Differences between Main and Dash - flashing lock / unlock
4. The centre reading of the three displays on the ECO check page - never changes from 1.0 - the others change depending how you drive
5. Had to charge battery 3 times since new (7 weeks)
6. Service Needed on App - not on Car - that fixed itself last week?
7. Slight Pulsating at speed

Then the 2 new ones

8. Emergency Braking and lane Assist not working
9. Car when stopped at traffic lights - switched itself to Park and would not pull away of come out of park when requested.. Had to turn off the car and lock / unlock and restart...

So how many do you think will be fixed and how many - we could not find anything?

I am estimating 2/9 fixed and 6/9 - we could not find anything - 1 / 9 we are waiting parts..

Interestingly - its parked with the bonnet and boot open for most of yesterday.... not sure why the boot would be open... or the bonnet...?

Maybe they are changing suspension airbags when its there too?

Thoughts?

Ive had your sympton number 9, turns out it was a loose conector in the left headlight connection plug. The gear select and headlights are on the same canbus thing.
No issues at high speed well into 3 figures in the X or 110 hard top when I drove on private land. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #903133 15th May 2021 12:04am
Simon Audi

United Kingdom 
Well its still at the dealers

To resolve I believe the Diff issue (very vague answers so far) they changed some sort of module - dsespitet me showing them the thread - Intelligent all wheel drive.

However the new module wont talk...

So they escalated to LR technical UK - not able to fix it

So now the escalated to LR Technical Global..

So its still sat there at the dealer.

They say all other issues have been fixed by software updates *except the wheel arch and number plate - which they changed and pulsing at speed.

But lets see when the car is ready for collection.
Post #903138 15th May 2021 5:22am
deaston

United Kingdom 
I don't know how I've managed it, but my Defender is absolutely problem-free (so far). I'm hyper-critical about rattles and squeeks, but not a thing.

I do have that 1.0 thing in the Eco screen, but I'll never look at that (if I cared about the environment I wouldn't be driving a Defender) so it's the only problem I can think the car has... and it's not a problem.
Post #903162 15th May 2021 8:54am
DSL

United Kingdom 
Now you’ve blown it! Shocked Shocked
Post #903163 15th May 2021 8:58am
J77

Scotland 
Yup, I said that and a week later it was in the dealers Laughing

Though I actually fixed mine myself, the dealer done nothing to it other than check it over. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #903167 15th May 2021 9:17am
abpod

United States 
I had a job as a tire tech in college - it could also be your tire tread. Tread can oddly give a floating or disconnect from the road sensation at certain speeds on certain road material. Had it actually happen to me well into my adult years when I had my first Range Rover - I put on new rubber that I never had before. Swapped them out for 4 new rubber from a different manufacturer and it was resolved. '21 L663 X-Dyn HSE P400 Carpathian
'13 L319
'03 L322
Post #903446 16th May 2021 6:27pm
Simon Audi

United Kingdom 
It could be a bad tyre - but the tyres are the standard All Season Tyre they come with from the factory.
Post #903458 16th May 2021 8:31pm
DSL

United Kingdom 
Would be a bit of a task swapping the spare with each in turn then going for a blast. Confused
Post #903459 16th May 2021 8:47pm
Simon Audi

United Kingdom 
Especially when its still in the dealer Laughing
Post #903461 16th May 2021 8:56pm
DSL

United Kingdom 
True. Laughing Laughing
Post #903467 16th May 2021 9:40pm
725browning

United Kingdom 
My D240 HSE went back on a rejection for most of the problems posted here on this thread. At first I refused a new one and opted for a refund. I have no idea what made me change my mind and I still don’t know but the new one has arrived and it’s totally different. I had terrible problems with door rattles and at 70 plus the hi pitched buzz from the front screen area was unbelievable. Jlr had to replace it with the D250. I was happy with the 240 and found it very capable but I have to say the 250 is smoother. I’ve been on two long runs and I am pleased to say the wind noise, door rattles and other issues seem to be solved. I don’t know if I’m correct but it feels a different build quality. Some things have changed like power points and they have added more usb c type points. As I had chance to spec from new again I added the smoked wood trim. If anyone opts for the wood trim be mindful that the smoked is a lot darker than it seems on the configuration and it’s almost black in the flesh. I’ve definitely wasted my money on that. Apart from that I think the build quality is improving because it seems a different car and most certainly drives a lot smoother.
Post #903468 16th May 2021 9:43pm
Simon Audi

United Kingdom 
Simon Audi wrote:
Thanks all

Car went into the dealer Wednesday for multiple things... 2 of which occurred on the drive to the dealer.

I asked him to look at the slight pulsing too

But he was doubtful they would find anything as they are not allowed to drive above the speed limit.

Hope to get it back tomorrow?

Issues

1. Front L&R wheel Arch extensions not bonded correctly - big gaps appear when warm (10mm gap for like 75mm of trim)
2. Rear Number Plate - delaminating - water inside
3. Diff Display Differences between Main and Dash - flashing lock / unlock
4. The centre reading of the three displays on the ECO check page - never changes from 1.0 - the others change depending how you drive
5. Had to charge battery 3 times since new (7 weeks)
6. Service Needed on App - not on Car - that fixed itself last week?
7. Slight Pulsating at speed

Then the 2 new ones

8. Emergency Braking and lane Assist not working
9. Car when stopped at traffic lights - switched itself to Park and would not pull away of come out of park when requested.. Had to turn off the car and lock / unlock and restart...

So how many do you think will be fixed and how many - we could not find anything?

I am estimating 2/9 fixed and 6/9 - we could not find anything - 1 / 9 we are waiting parts..

Interestingly - its parked with the bonnet and boot open for most of yesterday.... not sure why the boot would be open... or the bonnet...?

Maybe they are changing suspension airbags when its there too?

Thoughts?

OK - so an update - Car in dealer for 11 days - reported ALL issues resolved... Collected this morning

(From Carpark and reception as service closed)

1. Both Front Wheel Arches - Section - unstuck - RESOLVED

2. Rear Number Plate - Water Ingress - RESOLVED

3. Diff Display Showing differently between Main Display / Dash Display and Tile on the Dash - NOT RESOLVED

4. Economy Screen - middle reading when driving does not change from 1.0 - NOT RESOLVED

5. Battery Low Warning - had to recharge 3 times since receiving the car - NO REOCCURENCE OF ISSUE YET

6. Servicing App - Showing Car Needed Servicing - Resolved Itself before car came in for repair on 12th May

7. Pulsating / Vibration at speed (not investigated and i have not checked yet as the weather is too wet to try)

8. Emergency Braking and Lane Keep Assist - Not Working - NO REOCCURENCE OF ISSUE YET

9. Car put itself in Park and refused to come out of Park - had to turn car off - lock and unlock and restart - NO REOCCURENCE OF ISSUE YET

So Best Case 6 out of 9 fixed..... but 2 definately not... 2 Fixed - 4 No reoccurence yet - 1 not investigated / tested.
Post #904546 23rd May 2021 1:31pm
GreenMonster

United States 
To the OP’s original question, I drive pretty fast on occasion as well, and have been super impressed with the smooth road manners of this car. I have a P400 on the Adventure 20’s so I wasn’t actually expecting this, but mine is smooth as silk at the speeds you mentioned. I run at heavy load psi all the time except off road, and it’s remarkable that this behemoth actually drives better on road than my previous Volvo V90CC. I never expected that. Any shudder or vibration and I’d just go to a tire place and pay to have the wheels drive force, or whatever they call it now, balanced.
Post #904617 23rd May 2021 11:38pm
jmac

Scotland 
Re the vibration at speed.

Have you had any steering issues?

My D300 has been pulling to one side and it turns out it is a seized brake caliper. Sometimes I can get a slight vibration coming through the wheel. After a while cruising at speed the brake pad wears itself down to the point it’s barely noticeable. Another use of the brakes and the problem comes back.

I have also experienced a pulsating sensation under hard acceleration. My gut tells me it is the differential cutting power and could be related to the constant braking on one wheel.

As the D300 has larger brakes I’m wondering if there is a bigger issue with a batch of brakes (whichever component it may be!) and not just isolated to my vehicle. I’m amazed brake calipers seize after less than 2k miles
Post #904700 24th May 2021 2:10pm
Simon Audi

United Kingdom 
No no issue with the brakes and the vibration is at speed - rather than acceleration (Sort of crusing not accelerating)

Also its felt on the car - not the steering wheel or brake pedal.

THANKS
Post #904717 24th May 2021 3:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>