↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > It can’t be personalised so it’s useless?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

It can’t be personalised so it’s useless?
This one is modified with a lift , rock sliders, some big tyres and winch - pretty much what a lot of previous generation Defenders have and I don’t think it is in any way a “pretender”
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 13th May 2021 12:12pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #902832 13th May 2021 11:24am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Thumbs Up James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #902836 13th May 2021 12:00pm
Japseroony

England 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Re: It can’t be personalised so it’s useless?
Tim in Scotland wrote:
This one is modified with a lift , rock sliders, some big tyres and winch - pretty much what a lot of previous generation Defenders have and I don’t think it is in any way a “pretender”

Tim, those trails pale into insignificance compared to the stuff we used to get up to with Basher lol Gas, Grass Or Ass - Nobody Rides For Free

"UNDERSTEER" ----is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"OVERSTEER" ------is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"HORSEPOWER" ----is how fast you hit the fence.
"TORQUE" -----------is how far you take the fence with you.
Post #902874 13th May 2021 5:03pm
SJM2018

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Aintree Green
Hopefully the availability of products and knowledge will increase over the coming years; so people can readily modify them.

However, with Gerry McGovern's public views on modifications / third party tuners and having watched the PowerfulUK & TFL winch fitting debacles; my perception is that they're just not designed to be modded in the same way old defenders / jeeps could be.

Although, you could have said the same about the Disco 3 /4 when they were released too... so maybe I'm talking nonsense Laughing

In terms of the video and how pleased he appears to be at its performance; you could have probably completed that trail in a Ford Ka with the amount of winching going on... Wink 2011 CSW XS 90
Post #902892 13th May 2021 6:17pm
Tim in Scotland

Japseroony wrote:
Tim in Scotland wrote:

Tim, those trails pale into insignificance compared to the stuff we used to get up to with Basher lol

Ohhhhhh Yesssss no tree stumps hiding in the bogs on the plateau there! Last time I was up there with The Green Road Club (we don’t get to use Bashers old routes and have to stay on the forestry tracks now) it looked like there is now a wind farm up there Big Cry

Ian comes on the occasional SGRC run, usually the Killin runs. I haven’t seen or heard from him since last November but he seemed well then Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #902903 13th May 2021 7:25pm
cyberhusky

Luxembourg 
Except for army vehicles, who drives these tracks? They made a lot of winching, that has nothing to do with driving. It's a rescue exercice.
But I like the ladder for Defender they did and the side bars. But probably again not allowed here in Europe like their bullbar. 22MY Defender 110 (actual) | 10MY Freelander 2 (history) | 15MY Discovery Sport HSE (history)
Post #903091 14th May 2021 8:13pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Tim in Scotland wrote:

Not my words but sums up what you appear to be missing rather well:

"That's the beauty of the Defender. It's fully replaceable, upgradable and modular in it's construction. Also, with values bouyant, it's worth doing the work. Chassis rotten? Buy a new one. Want a pick up? Take the back off. Want a minibus? stick more seats in it. Want a train? Buy some train wheels for it.

The answer to these questions on any other car is either replace it or scrap it."

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic....6&i=40

And if you read on:

" And the feeling unless it goes cult, it will be disposable. "

I sense from your postings over time that you will not be staying with your new Defender once warranty expires?
Post #903255 15th May 2021 5:43pm
Philip

United Kingdom 
There are loads of old Defenders around if that’s what you want to do, it has zero relevance to all but a tiny fraction of a tiny minority of new car buyers.
Post #903263 15th May 2021 6:09pm
Supacat

It answers the OP's question, or counters his assertion; so that's job done.

All these things have only to be relevant to us as individuals; why would we care that it is not relevant to many, many others?

Again, your attitude to owners of niche vehicles seems strangely out of place.

Philip wrote:
it has zero relevance to all but a tiny fraction of a tiny minority of new car buyers.

Isn't that who this Forum is really for?
Post #903270 15th May 2021 6:57pm
diduan

Bulgaria 
Lift, big tires and a winch are the top 3 "upgrades" the average "pretender" or "poser" does to a vehicle. Next are stickers Evil or Very Mad

All serious offroad vehicles have large choice of important technical upgrades, like thicker axle shafts, locking differentials (with strong carrier), suspension with more travel etc.

Perhaps it is too early for the new defender yet. I wonder if ARB or Ashcroft are going to offer some diffs for the new defender. Time will tell. Defender 110 SW MY2011 2.4tdci decat, no EGR
Jeep Wrangler YJ 1990 4.0. Front 78' Dana 60, Rear CUCV 14 bolt
Post #903274 15th May 2021 7:06pm
Tim in Scotland

Supacat wrote:
I sense from your postings over time that you will not be staying with your new Defender once warranty expires?

All depends on what is on offer in June 2023, I’m single and have 2 Defenders, one of which is hardly being used because the other is such a good all rounder and can undertake long journeys in comfort and do everything I need a car to do off-road these days. The old one gets a monthly run to keep everything exercised these days and that’s about all it gets used for. The old one is simple with no electronics and that is where the new one falls down - how long will the electronics remain available or reliable. As you quoted the new one is a “disposable” but it’s not because it will rot it will be because it’s components will be too costly to replace once the warranty has run out.......... it’s the reality of modern cars. My new one is obsolete now but I’m in no rush to replace it with a D200/D250 as it has been 100% reliable mechanically and electronically so far. Since the build defects were corrected last August/September I’ve had no rattles or leaks and the fuel economy seems to be getting better as the miles pile on.

So do I keep it and sell the Tdi300 or do I sell both and buy a Korean EV? Let’s see what JLR can do for 2023/2024 in the way of a reliable, off-road capable EV. I’ve already had a taste of what an IPace can do off-road and it’s impressive but hugely expensive when you add air suspension to get decent ground clearance and add the Jaguar off-road traction control system.
I suspect that when it comes to market the Grenadier will also be hugely expensive and very very complex (and will there be a dealership to repair it locally when it goes wrong? I suspect not whereas my village garage can fix both my cars if needs be)

I haven’t written off Grenadier but I suspect that Ineos has seen how JLR has priced New Defender and will start there and it will not be the basic utility stripped out simple vehicle people are possibly expecting. That and fear that the Ineos dealer network night not even be as big as Subaru’s in the U.K. it too will suffer from high priced possibly unreliable electronic components too. It cannot get through emissions tests or crash testing without the full suite of those these days. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #903337 16th May 2021 8:16am
Supacat

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Let’s see what JLR can do for 2023/2024 in the way of a reliable, off-road capable EV.

I thought you had previously stated with was your "final" vehicle, or certainly one you wanted to be keeping for longer than a few years?

Tim in Scotland wrote:
on the longevity front, with so many cars bought on PCPs and leased what incentive is there for a car maker to make a vehicle the will last longer than the warranty is given for, they want us all to buy a new car every 3 years, even if many of us don’t want to follow that path.

Click image to enlarge

Your timeline is tight, but maybe there's hope in the SUV4 and SUV3 indicated in the above slide.

JLR talks of 6 BEVs in 5 years, with Range Rover, RRS from FY22 and FY23, Evoque and Disco Sport from 2024. No mention of Velar or Discovery and the D7x platform of the current Defender is due to soldier on until FY29.

Last edited by Supacat on 16th May 2021 10:17am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #903357 16th May 2021 9:51am
Tim in Scotland

If my 110 is As reliable outside warranty as my last RRS then I can wait the extra couple of years, I don’t have much faith in LR sticking to time lines - I put my deposit on the “there will for sure be a.PHEV version at launch” Defender in early 2018, had I not bought the diesel version I would by now have either an e-Niro or Tesla 3 on my drive to replace the Countryman PHEV and would be continuing to use my TDi 300 for fun and have a bigger balance in my bank account! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #903359 16th May 2021 10:03am
J77

Scotland 
The Velar is likely to become an EV only model or dropped from the range, Disco 6 is rumoured to be coming back to Solihull.

My 90 will have to soldier on, I fear that when the time comes to switch to an EV, LRs prices will be out the box. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #903366 16th May 2021 10:23am
Philip

United Kingdom 
Supacat wrote:

Again, your attitude to owners of niche vehicles seems strangely out of place

I own a few very random cars, but, not being MacGyver, I’ve never felt the urge to turn one into a train. If that’s the sort of thing that appeals to people who walk around Asda in tactical gear, Leatherman at the ready, then they’re probably best sticking with an old Defender.
Post #903396 16th May 2021 2:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>