↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > ARB compressor where to mount
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
bear100

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
ARB compressor where to mount
Just bought one of the twin ARB compressors with the accessories kit ready for the overland adventures Very Happy

Where have you mounted yours? and any tips on the installation?

i am thinking on the dog guard in the passenger compartment? safe and secure, in the middle so the tube will be long enough.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
2010 110 XS Utility 2.4TDCI
2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 (gone)
2007 Discovery HSE TDV6 (gone)
1993 110 csw 200 tdi (gone)
1994 90 HT 300 tdi (gone)
1994 discovery 300tdi (gone)
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Range rover bobtail 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #835430 6th Jun 2020 10:41am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Battery compartment, under the driver's seat? They're not particularly quiet things so might be nice to keep out of the passenger compartment.

Can't help really because I've got an AC compressor for my diffs so that's in the engine bay with a P38 air tank tucked up behind the rear passenger wheel. Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #835435 6th Jun 2020 11:09am
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
I put mine behind the passenger seat.
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #835437 6th Jun 2020 11:31am
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Been wondering as well. Especially in a double cab.

Batttery box isnt an option as split charge in there.
Cant go under rear seats, storage drawer/derv heater.

I was thinking rear wheel arch in the pick up bed. Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #835440 6th Jun 2020 11:47am
bear100

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Same issue here with the twin battery set up under the seat

I’ve got the storage cages in the rear with the top and middle shelf’s

So the dog guard seems to be the best so far 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
2010 110 XS Utility 2.4TDCI
2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 (gone)
2007 Discovery HSE TDV6 (gone)
1993 110 csw 200 tdi (gone)
1994 90 HT 300 tdi (gone)
1994 discovery 300tdi (gone)
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Range rover bobtail 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #835471 6th Jun 2020 1:46pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lightwater

Australia 
I can't help where to place a compressor, but if you are airing up & down regularly add a moisture trap.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

4L tank & compressor under the spare wheel for the Freelander.

Click image to enlarge

2 compressors under the Freelander driver's seat.

Click image to enlarge

The custom internal & external heatsinks together with fan cooling reduce heat a lot. You can touch the air outlet, otherwise it will be over 100°C.

The 3 compressors continuous output is 40psi with the ARB duster. Typically up to about 90amps via 4awg lead to an Anderson plug near the battery with engine running.

Click image to enlarge

With siphon using 0.5L per minute. Works really well with some "bite" in the water to abrase away dirt.

ARB data. As a rough guide knock off about 1% of your compressor's capacity for every connector & metre of air line.

Click image to enlarge

My tyres 255/60R18 have about 60 litres volume & can inflate a corner from 20psi to 35psi in 30 seconds with the 90psi pressure switch. The compressors are a bit ahead of what I can push into a tyre so with a 150psi switch my guess probably would be around 25 seconds.

A small tank is great so you get a bit ahead between tyres. Make sure you can drain it easily, as it actually acts a bit like a moisture trap if cold. I replaced the fittings on the tank, they were hard to get off initially but once they started moving due to a hammer it was ok.

I have also replaced the ARB connecters with Euro 1/4 air fittings. On the ARB orange 7mm ID air hose due to the small diameter it was a bit difficult but with a custom modification it worked out well.

Blue air hose is 8mm ID. Also have 2 small oil coolers used as an after cooler to help with condensing moisture.

Click image to enlarge
 Visitor - Freelander owner
Post #840163 28th Jun 2020 8:30am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Likewise i have changed my compressor fittings to PCL ones so i can use workshop hose and air tools without changing fittings. i have run single and twin pump ARBs and they are good, reliable and quite £££. for last 8 years i have a single cylinder T- Max under the drivers seat (2.4) runs perfectly and no problems and only £65. good constant duty cycle on them. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #840197 28th Jun 2020 11:52am
Michaelkan

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
I hide my compressor behind my storage box on the dog guard. And output on the rear side window.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #840203 28th Jun 2020 12:20pm
ColinReece110

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
Hi all,

This also was a long thinking process, google. Inside the cabin, out side the cabin etc. I ended putting mine under the bonnet on the left side, behind the head light. There’s loads of space there, I’ve lifted and remote mounted the air filters. Also added a moisture trap.

Also added 2 pressure regulators and some piping so I can set a pressure wanted, attach the pipes and let the compressor and regulators do the work. This also worked out great. There are loads of over priced systems on the market, you can do it your self.
Post #902657 12th May 2021 11:28am
Matt110

United Kingdom 
What T-max compressors are there out there then? I've always wondered if one would be OK hooked up to a tank.

Think I remember there being 2 versions of different outputs? Frankly you could have 6 of them for the price of an ARB twin pump unit so that's what I planned to do. Buy one and if the fill rate wasn't high enough... Buy a second one.

Are they waterproof?
Post #902710 12th May 2021 5:43pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Quote:
What T-max compressors are there out there then? I've always wondered if one would be OK hooked up to a tank.

Think I remember there being 2 versions of different outputs? Frankly you could have 6 of them for the price of an ARB twin pump unit so that's what I planned to do. Buy one and if the fill rate wasn't high enough... Buy a second one.

Are they waterproof?

I have been sorely tempted by the ARB compressors of late and have had a T-Max one for going on 10 years now. It has done sterling work and pumps up 285/75/16 tyres fairly easy. It is not as quick as the ARB and its duty cycle is worse, it gets hot after four tyres, but it does the job for a budget compressor.

As for plumbing it to a tank, I do not know I am afraid.
Post #902714 12th May 2021 5:58pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
There is a bigger TMax, can usually spot it by the silver cover on top of the cylinder. I think the smaller one is just black. If you want to use it hooked to a tank you'll need to control it with a pressure switch on the tank as it won't shut off otherwise and would likely overheat in short order. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #902715 12th May 2021 5:59pm

Greece 
Why not mount it in a rear wheel arch? Other than the risk of theft, which can be prevented by making a lockable compartment accessible from either the side (like MOD Defenders) or underneath it is better than most other options. Takes up no cabin space, not much noise inside, easily reparable and replaceable, easy fitment and good usage of unused space and can be fitted to most defenders easily, one size fits all.
Post #902755 12th May 2021 8:58pm
Lightwater

Australia 
I have added an after cooler, 2 small oil coolers. Would prefer to have it before the air tank but no room.

Can place it in the fridge for condensing moisture.

Just need a desiccant drier.

Another option.

Click image to enlarge

Keeps me off the streets so to speak! Visitor - Freelander owner
Post #902795 13th May 2021 4:25am
Lightwater

Australia 
geobloke wrote:
Quote:

Are they waterproof?

I have been sorely tempted by the ARB compressors of late and have had a T-Max one for going on 10 years now. It has done sterling work and pumps up 285/75/16 tyres fairly easy. It is not as quick as the ARB and its duty cycle is worse, it gets hot after four tyres, but it does the job for a budget compressor.

As for plumbing it to a tank, I do not know I am afraid.

If you are happy with the compressor you have, simply parallel a second compressor or 3!

If the compressor doesn't have a pressure switch, buy one & plumb it in, easy.

2 compressors will run at 50% of the time, so a lot easier on the compressors after 4 tyres.

A small tank is great to store a bit of air so you are a bit ahead ready for the next tyre.

Also make sure that the cable for power supply is heavy enough. When calculating wire resistance it is the total distance of + & - so if your cable is 5 metres it is actually 10 metres as far as resistance is concerned.

I upgraded my 6awg wiring to 4awg as I was getting about 7% loss. 3 ARB compressors are about 90 amps according to my DC clampmeter.

As I bought 3 single ARB compressors they didn't have the 120 - 150 psi switch of the dual compressor. Only the 70 - 100 psi switch.

I changed this to a 110 - 135 psi switch. Now it takes 28 seconds a tyre from 20 - 35 psi, engine not running, & this is with extensive plumbing in my setup.

Ironically it take about a minute to deflate a tyre from 35 - 20 psi. Visitor - Freelander owner
Post #903322 16th May 2021 1:13am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>