↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > New to Defender.... Possible running issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
balmybaldwin

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Buckingham Blue
New to Defender.... Possible running issues
I'm still getting used to my defender having had no real experience of them previously.

I have a 2002 90 with a 15p engine, as far as I can tell it's standard as it came out of the factory other than the rear windows (it was a van)

I wasn't expecting it to be quick by any means, and it comfortably meets that expectation. It will sit comfortably at 55/60 ish on a dual carriage way which is fine, but anything more than 60 the noise starts to get a bit concerning... now I know they are loud, but it does seem a bit excessive, very much coming from nearside front area (or so it sounds like from inside the cab)

I'm not too worried about this given the reputation of TD5s, and I an considering a Stage 1 or maybe 2 remap at some stage.

What I'm more concerned about is the way it drives and accelerates, kind of seems lumpy at times, and seems to run out of steam ever so early in the rev range (at least where I imagining it to be given there's no Tacho).

This seems worse when cold and better if it's had a run earlier in the day. Feels at times like a really laggy turbo, other times like it's just run out of puff.

Due to this I'm suspecting the turbo actuator is a bit sticky perhaps.

I haven't got any engine lights on, but I haven't put it on diagnostics tool of any kind as I haven't got one (yet - recommendations welcome).

I'm not excluding the idea that this is perfectly normal, I haven't had a car this low powered since my first one 20 years ago.

I'm also a bit dubious about the "full service" given to it before I bought it, so I'm going to have a look a the air filter etc to check it's clean/new/oiled(if appropriate) and maybe clean the MAF sensor, any other thoughts for things to check?

I'm sort of expecting people to say this is normal for standard map Whistle

Edited to add: I'm not blowing any smoke either.
Post #902472 10th May 2021 10:17pm
davidblythe

England 
Hi

buy a nanocom, so useful,

an egr delete, cat and middle box removal is a good starting point

i havent gone for a tune as my 90 will do a gps 80mph on the motorway and this feels scary enough 1999 90 TD5 CSW
2006 110 TD5 HD Commercial
Post #902485 10th May 2021 10:44pm
balmybaldwin

Thanks, will have a look at those, but they're a bit steeper than I was expecting, and not sure how often I will need one yet.

I presume you've done the EGr delete etc you mentioned.

I'm sure 80 is pretty scary, but how noisy is it to get there?

I'm wondering if I've got a vibration that I shouldn't have that is scaring me off at the 65 mark.
Post #902488 10th May 2021 10:57pm
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
I had an TD5 90XS a few years back and I had a stage 1 remap, which also removed the limiter. Would pull smoothly in 5 from 30mph up to a lot faster than standard. Perfectly stable at that speed, even on BFGs, but noisy
Post #902490 10th May 2021 11:02pm
Beero

England 
Quote "Due to this I'm suspecting the turbo actuator is a bit sticky perhaps."
I think this is the first thing you ought to check, easy enough to do, most fiddly bit can be getting the shield off. My 2005 TD5 pulls really well, only mod is EGR delete.
Post #902494 10th May 2021 11:09pm
balmybaldwin

Hmm.... this does sound like a likely culprit...

Post #902499 10th May 2021 11:41pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Re: New to Defender.... Possible running issues
balmybaldwin wrote:
I'm still getting used to my defender having had no real experience of them previously.

I have a 2002 90 with a 15p engine, as far as I can tell it's standard as it came out of the factory other than the rear windows (it was a van)

I wasn't expecting it to be quick by any means, and it comfortably meets that expectation. It will sit comfortably at 55/60 ish on a dual carriage way which is fine, but anything more than 60 the noise starts to get a bit concerning... now I know they are loud, but it does seem a bit excessive, very much coming from nearside front area (or so it sounds like from inside the cab)

I'm not too worried about this given the reputation of TD5s, and I an considering a Stage 1 or maybe 2 remap at some stage.

What I'm more concerned about is the way it drives and accelerates, kind of seems lumpy at times, and seems to run out of steam ever so early in the rev range (at least where I imagining it to be given there's no Tacho).

This seems worse when cold and better if it's had a run earlier in the day. Feels at times like a really laggy turbo, other times like it's just run out of puff.

Due to this I'm suspecting the turbo actuator is a bit sticky perhaps.

I haven't got any engine lights on, but I haven't put it on diagnostics tool of any kind as I haven't got one (yet - recommendations welcome).

I'm not excluding the idea that this is perfectly normal, I haven't had a car this low powered since my first one 20 years ago.

I'm also a bit dubious about the "full service" given to it before I bought it, so I'm going to have a look a the air filter etc to check it's clean/new/oiled(if appropriate) and maybe clean the MAF sensor, any other thoughts for things to check?

I'm sort of expecting people to say this is normal for standard map Whistle

Edited to add: I'm not blowing any smoke either.

You may want to check the maf and EGR, My 306 had a maf problem, and it wouldnt really move. Changed that all is well. The EGR was knackered on my 300 TDI, it just wasn't keen on moving up the box. Done away with that and it was like a different motor, So i would start with those two. Just in case that's causing some issues. also service it your self, never go by Full service given. Because my 300 TDi I had was very questionable with serving. The brakes been the major question! Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #902503 11th May 2021 12:08am
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Try unplugging the MAF sensor (It's on the big black air pipe right by the filter box), see if performance improves.

When they "die" they reduce performance a fair bit.... but when unplugged the ECU reverts to some factory settings that give some ooomf back.
Post #902511 11th May 2021 6:50am
davidblythe

England 
balmybaldwin wrote:
Thanks, will have a look at those, but they're a bit steeper than I was expecting, and not sure how often I will need one yet.

nanocom i use whilst driving on any trip,

it displays on 1 screen turbo boost, revs, voltage coolant temp, next screen maf, map flow etc etc

there is no guesswork if you have a problem

can get a hawkeye cheaper but doesnt show turbo boost 1999 90 TD5 CSW
2006 110 TD5 HD Commercial
Post #902512 11th May 2021 7:03am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1