Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
ibexman

United Kingdom 
Can you expand on that caterham🤔
Post #902139 9th May 2021 11:32am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
of course. but please take with a pinch of salt because I never quite got to price up a VW comparison accurately and of course this it merely my take on things;

- the VW has by far the better, more recognised camper image,
- the VW is for sure a nice looking motor BUT in my opinion the Ford is more stylish/modern/more interestingly styled which may be a bad thing as I think it will likely age more quickly and will likely have an adverse effect on residual values. The VW n the other hand is a much safer bet. It's doesn't appear to have evolved much in terms of style which is probably a good thing and will likely not age as quickly. Very similar to Polo vs Fiesta, Golf vs Focus etc.
- I don't believe there's much in it in terms of reliability although if I'm honest I actually believe the Transit is more reliable contrary to general believe.
- I don't exactly know the specs on the VW but I believe the Ford is a little ahead on modern tech, emissions etc.
- I believe Ford might offer more options than the VW - certainly there's loads from double batteries, inverters, wiring harness ready for flashing beacon lights and so on and so forth,
- From the initial investigation's I made the VW equivalent would have cost in the region of £7 - 10k more and for me that just wasn't worth it - I intend to keep it long term and as such resale isn't a big factor - perhaps if it was a short term proposition it may have helped to move me away from the Transit?
- Extras - I think VW charge alot more but more than that little things that I wouldn't have perhaps picked up - mine has grab handles for access into the rear seats - extra cost on the VW.

For now I believe I made the right decision Thumbs Up
Post #902142 9th May 2021 12:01pm
MichaelE

England 
My brother has had a 1990 VW T25 Transporter Autosleeper high top thing for probably getting on for 20 years or more. It's at the end of its life as far as he's concerned and he's going to give it to me at some time within the next year as I've always told him I wanted it when he's finished with it. Mind you, that was before I had a 110 and a Series 109 parked in my garden in the queue for renovation. But I'll squeeze the VW in. It's rusty and only just got through its recent MOT. But it's still too much of a classic to let it be scrapped. So I'll take it. There are some things that you just have to do.

I'll always remember the story he told me one day years ago. Imagine Trigger or Les Dawson telling it. He was driving along, carefree, when he saw a car wheel overtake him, bouncing along the road in a perfect straight line for a good way until it careered off to the side. He thought funny, wonder where that came from. Then the back end dropped down and started scraping along the road. The nearside rear stub axle had snapped off.
Post #902160 9th May 2021 2:50pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
seems defenders and VW campers have something in common then.

Soon VW and Ford will have a common flatform so I understand (reference the transporter and transit custom).
Post #902164 9th May 2021 3:02pm
Chugga90

Does this mean Vw will need to take a backward step and have cart springs like the transit?
Post #902181 9th May 2021 4:11pm
Vintagepaul

2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
I've had t5's and then 3 transit customs in a row, the Ford is by some distance the better van.
Superior in driveability, reliability, specification and value for money.

Unfortunately everyone goes on about how good VW's are but I think it is a myth based on their current models, 30 years ago a Golf was a step up from its immediate competition (as was the beetle before it) and although more expensive you felt you were getting more in terms of quality than the equivalent Ford or vauxhall, this is just no longer the case.

If you look at the new Golf mark 8 they have built it to a price, it no longer has assisted bonnet struts, the door pockets are not fleece lined any more and the quality of the plastics in the cabin is a step backwards from the previous model. All small details but they paint a picture.

The new ID3 electric model is even worse in terms of interior quality..

Ironic that the replacement for the current transporter will be primarily designed by Ford and built at its factory in turkey.

And don't get me started on the ineptitude and arrogance of Volkswagen dealers.

Rant over! 2015 Defender 90XS HT
Post #902206 9th May 2021 6:07pm
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
I dont think the ID3 is too bad inside. Its not my choice as I prefer leather but I assume its an eco, big hug to the world, interior.
Post #902219 9th May 2021 6:39pm
Chugga90

Did consider a Ford when they started doing an auto version.
However they would not do the AWD with the auto, also would not allow the air suspension on the rear option with this combination.
My Vw has 4motion and dsg gearbox and in my opinion better rear suspension than the Ford option.

The Vw commercial dealers are beyond belief. No different to LR, or so far they have managed not to knock lumps out of my van, so marginally better than LR!
Post #902221 9th May 2021 6:51pm
yostumpy

Presumably said vehicle will need to be Euro 6, due to ULEZ? Resale value is another thing. Bit like Defenders, VW campers are an investment, that is if you manage to keep hold of it long enough to resell it. 'Volvo XC 70, taking the rough with the smooth’
Post #904018 20th May 2021 6:20am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12