Home > General & Technical (L663) > cracked Windscreens
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
ashtrans
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 
cracked Windscreens
cracked screens appear to be a big problem on the new defenders, I had one crack from a small stonechip when I put the heated screen on, on a frosty morning, expect to have a new screen at least once a year at £ 1200 a go, my 110 went back for other reasons and I have a new one coming in July, after some research I have found :

http://clearplex.co.uk/index.php

they put on a protective film on the screen for £ 300, looks well worth it and they say they see the same issues with new G wagons and this sorts it,

OK with heated screens and HUD and cameras etc.

I will get it applied when my vehicle arrives but I thought I would share in the mean time. Dave
Post #898178 14th Apr 2021 1:34pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Mine is cracked too, have been arguing with insurer and Autoglass about its replacement. They’ve so far been unable to confirm what brand the screen they use is, I’m still waiting to hear back from them.

Suffice to say I have concerns about putting a non-original screen onto a 3-month old car
Post #898183 14th Apr 2021 1:41pm
Ryderoo

England 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
That look good ashtrans.

I’ve suffered from chipped and or cracked screens, averaging 1 a year, various vehicles all pickups/ 4x4 type vehicles.
Mostly on motorways.

I shall look into this for my new Defender when it arrives.

Be good to see a review when it’s been installed Cheers Simon

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you

2015 Urban Truck 90 XS Santorini Black Hard Top - Reluctantly gone
2020 Discovery 5 Eiger Grey 3.0 SE
2021 Defender S D250 Santorini Black 110 Hard Top on the drive
Post #898186 14th Apr 2021 1:49pm
ashtrans
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 
if not genuine then LR wont warranty cameras / lane guidance etc,

if genuine but fitted by autoglass it will have to go to LR for 'calibration' after fitting, all chargable ! Dave
Post #898188 14th Apr 2021 1:49pm
ashtrans
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 
also big backorders, some in the US are waiting 3-5 months for a replacement !!

mine was 4 weeks, Dave
Post #898190 14th Apr 2021 1:51pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
The recalibration should be included in the Autoglass covered costs (less insurance excess).

The warranty issue is exactly the problem, sadly my insurer’s policy is that they will reserve the right to fit non-genuine parts. Not an issue on older vehicles but I’ve never had a car in warranty before so missed it.

Strange also that I’ve driven my older Land Rover(s) for decades and literally hundreds of thousands of miles without so much as a chip in a screen, yet three months in with this car I’ve several chips and a big crack. Seems the strength of the screens is not up to much these days.
Post #898194 14th Apr 2021 2:20pm
Tim in Scotland

Thinner glass - less weight - lower CO2 emissions.
It has long been a complaint among L494 owners over the RRSport forum that the glass is more like stunt sugar glass than vehicle glass, it breaks so easily. The only cracked screen I’ve had on any Land Rover was on my L494. Fortunately it wasn’t big enough that a glass welding repair couldn’t be made but then the passenger side of the heated front screen failed 4 months before the warranty ran out and a replacement screen was fitted courtesy of the local dealers or which ever replacement glass company they used - it was a genuine LR screen they put in too. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #898206 14th Apr 2021 3:02pm
ashtrans
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 
likewise, I have done many miles in many cars with no issue but for £ 300 I think I will try it :

https://youtu.be/cDRcWwrAeao Dave
Post #898209 14th Apr 2021 3:27pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Will be interested to hear how you get on.

The absurdity of Autoglass is that they cannot tell me where it comes from until they order it, so I’ve had to book an appointment in to allow them to do that.

Due to the complexity I’ve got to go to one of their fitting centres. “Don’t worry sir we’ll book it at your local one” - so that’s a 3 hour drive from home, never mind at least it’s a day out. Then another day out to take it back to the dealer for calibration.

I’ve heard rumour that only the OE glass is available at present and so that is what they are fitting, so I’m hoping that this is true. If not then hopefully they’ll let me pay the difference in cost for the proper item.
Post #898212 14th Apr 2021 3:58pm
Tim in Scotland

Here in the U.K. Pentagon have been marketing this stuff for years BUT I’m not sure if it is approved for the front screen as it does slightly distort the view out and I’ve only experienced it on ship’s heated glass not on a cars heated front screen.
It was fitted as an anti piracy measure on several ships I sailed in when they were operating to West Africa and in the Gulf of Aden and Indian Ocean. Glad that I never saw it being tested out with a real live round from an AK47 - the idea wasn’t to stop the rounds from entering the wheelhouse but to prevent thousands of flying shards of 12mm thick armour glass from tearing the bridge team to pieces. The other issue with it was that after a couple of years in tropical sun it delaminates and started to peel off the glass - not a huge issue in the U.K. unless you park your car in direct sun light all day long but the little air bubbles under the film were a bad distraction. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #898214 14th Apr 2021 4:11pm
hezor

Finland 
I got a quote of 400€ for ClearPlex from my local detailer. I think I'm going to get it installed immediately when I receive my car. 22MY Defender 110 P400e SE w/ Off-Road Pack, Driver Assist Pack, Cold Climate Pack, Comfort & Convenience Pack + ClearSight Rear-View Mirror & 11.4" Infotainment Screen
Post #898381 15th Apr 2021 9:54am
ashtrans
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 
good idea, the dealers should offer this as an option or maybe thats admitting the stock screen is not fit for purpose Dave
Post #898416 15th Apr 2021 12:13pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Impressed to read on the link:

"Used and approved by NASA, the only approved screen protection for the International Space Station."

Had thought is was the windows, then reading further it's used as a screen protector on i Pads. 🤣
Post #898460 15th Apr 2021 5:04pm
Digger2000

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Other HT Tonga Green
I spotted that! 🤣
Post #898461 15th Apr 2021 5:09pm
kenzle8a

Supacat wrote:
Impressed to read on the link:

"Used and approved by NASA, the only approved screen protection for the International Space Station."

Had thought is was the windows, then reading further it's used as a screen protector on i Pads. 🤣

Gorilla Glass or whatever apple use would be lethal zero G if it escaped, they would have to vent the whole station or even abandon certain parts of it.
Post #902093 9th May 2021 7:26am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>