↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Turner Engineering Cylinder Head Question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
foxhound

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Alpine White
Turner Engineering Cylinder Head Question
Has anyone fitted a Turner Engineering improved gas flow cylinder head onto a 300tdi engine? If so, what did it do to the fuel consumption?

Fitting a new head gasket next week may also require work to be done on the head itself, in which case I'll bin it and buy a new head from TE. the question is standard or improved gas flow. 110 Defender 300tdi & Penman trailer with ally exped top and roof tent
Post #901709 6th May 2021 3:31pm
donmacn

I have, about a year ago now. Unfortunately I did so many other things at the same time that it would be impossible for me to comment on the impact of any single thing.

In a way it might have been good to do them all one at a time, but that just wasn't feasible.

The relevant things that were done were;
Turner gas-flowed head;
Fuel pump professionally refurbed/tweaked;
VNT fitted;
Full width Allard intercooler fitted;
Griffin exhaust.

Oh, and a taller 5th gear in a refurbed gearbox

As you can appreciate, all of these things would have an impact on 'performance' (sic - it's still a 300Tdi) and fuel consumption.

The last thing to go on was the Turbo, on the basis of BAS advice to let the rebuilt engine run for 500 miles before doing a couple of oil changes and then fit it.

So before the turbo went on, the car performed much better. I suspect the biggest single change/impact was the fuel pump. I was told that mine was ca. 15% below standard when it was checked over prior to the tweaks/refurb.

Now, the car will sit very comfortably at 60, get easily up to 70 and beyond if I can be bothered. The biggest change has been the low down grunt, making joining and keeping up with traffic a lot easier. So, on the open road I drive much as I used to; around town maybe accelerate a bit more up to your 30/40/50 or whatever.

Having said all of that... in it's original state, I reckon I was getting ca. 29/30mpg. Now I'm getting ca 29/30mpg! I know it would be better on a long dual carriageway/motorway run - but there's not been much opportunity for that lately.

The car pulls better and is 'smoother'.

Sorry - not precisely what you were after. Confused Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #901756 6th May 2021 7:31pm
foxhound

thanks for that. i now find as well as head, i have to have a new timing case inner. whoever did a cam belt change a few years back didn't tighten bolts properly and there's lots of damage and wear and even an insert like a rivnut with a new thread in the timing case! 110 Defender 300tdi & Penman trailer with ally exped top and roof tent
Post #907432 11th Jun 2021 5:01pm
donmacn

At the garage, when I was getting my engine swapped in or out, they were doing a snapped timing belt on another 300Tdi.

There was a lot of 'fluff' from the snapped belt, and some chewing of the pulleys. Digging about I found a loose and damaged bolt in the bottom of the case.

It looked like the bolt had come loose, fallen in between the belt and the pulley - damaged the pulley and snapped the belt.

Would the 'rivnut' actually be a proper helicoil? I had one of the spark plug threads professionally redone on one of my RR cylinder heads, and they've used a helicoil, or something very similar. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #907445 11th Jun 2021 6:50pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Helicoil or more likely Timesert, I would think.
Post #907448 11th Jun 2021 7:31pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Very common to find helicoils or similar in Tdi timing cases - they’re prone to bolts seizing and snapping. There are two in mine. Done properly it’s perfectly acceptable.
Post #907470 11th Jun 2021 9:00pm
foxhound

this one sadly won't allow proper torquing. so new timing case inner cover. 110 Defender 300tdi & Penman trailer with ally exped top and roof tent
Post #907616 13th Jun 2021 9:44am
foxhound

donmacn wrote:

Would the 'rivnut' actually be a proper helicoil? I had one of the spark plug threads professionally redone on one of my RR cylinder heads, and they've used a helicoil, or something very similar.

I think it is, but it won't allow torquing up to the right number. 110 Defender 300tdi & Penman trailer with ally exped top and roof tent
Post #907617 13th Jun 2021 9:47am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1